JANUARY WINDOW THREAD | Page 32 | Vital Football

JANUARY WINDOW THREAD

I think the equation is simple - Maloney can't have a pot of money in the summer to rebuild the squad if we continue to pay large wages to players that he either doesn't fancy, or who don't want to be here. I think with Wyke and Lang it was clear that they would leave, and so it made sense to do it sooner rather than the summer.

While there's still a (slim) risk of being relegated, I think we have a good and competitive squad, and I don't think having Lang or Wyke would actually improve our chances of staying up as they were way short of form/confidence and are pretty big personalities in the dressing room.

We either have a transfer budget by selling our best assets (Hughes/Tickle/Thelo), or by shifting some wages. The work begins now to secure our place in L1 and enable Maloney to build his own squad.
Thing is footballers demand large wages. If we don't pay them we will slide down to non league.

What the odds on Wyke scoring on his debut as well?
I'm not convinced either him or Lang will do much, though I hope they both do well, Callum's looked so out of form (yes I know he's been played out of position), for a good while now, even the 2 goals didn't get him going.

As for Charlie, he just looks almost finished to me, there's been too many times when he's played this season and he just looked like he'd been out for a long, long time. Never know, with him of course, there could be other things as well as football on his mind, Tom Lockyer incident a few weeks ago, must have given him and his family a bit of a fright

Thing is footballers demand large wages. If we don't pay them we will slide down to non league.
What is your reasoning for that statement, plenty teams are not sliding down to non league because they don't pay high wages, do you think Stevenage pay anything like we are reported to be paying, they were promoted last season and are not doing too badly this season.

Luton got to the premier league, allegedly on one of the lowest Championship budgets ever, I would also guess they probably have one of the lowest budgets in the top tier yet are still in with a fighting chance of remaining there, either way their sojourn there will result in a massive boost to the club finances meaning they will probably become a stable/ competitive championship club with money to spend on better players and club facilities.

We need Wigan athletic to be run far more professionally and seek out the talent at bargain prices or invest more in producing our own and rid ourselves of the reputation we have owners prepared to pay wages beyond our means.

I agree
But from this part of the fence you could also say that technically he has not left, he is out on loan.

Agreed, it would be the wrong move to put a farewell message when he's still officially our player for another 4 months or so and we are still paying him part of his wages.

I'm sure that message will come once it's official he's leaving.

What is your reasoning for that statement, plenty teams are not sliding down to non league because they don't pay high wages, do you think Stevenage pay anything like we are reported to be paying, they were promoted last season and are not doing too badly this season.

Luton got to the premier league, allegedly on one of the lowest Championship budgets ever, I would also guess they probably have one of the lowest budgets in the top tier yet are still in with a fighting chance of remaining there, either way their sojourn there will result in a massive boost to the club finances meaning they will probably become a stable/ competitive championship club with money to spend on better players and club facilities.

We need Wigan athletic to be run far more professionally and seek out the talent at bargain prices or invest more in producing our own and rid ourselves of the reputation we have owners prepared to pay wages beyond our means.
my lad bought one of them thera gun masagers at christmas. dogs nob he said. get one he said. does the busines he said. cost him a bloody fortune.

bought me one for 40 quid. does everything his does. dogs nob. does the busines. it were cheep an all.

cost a lot dont alweys = best out there.

I see what you are saying Jeff but it isn’t necessarily so …what wages are the Stevenage players on based on their (2k ? Attendances)

They are in contention for the play offs, regardless of whether they ultimately make it or not.
Aside from their obvious gamesmanship I still thought they deserved their win last week and were better than us.
I expect we were the lowest paid or damn near it during our 8 year stay in the Premier League, featuring two cup finals.

It’s really about player selection coupled with team and tactics management.
That you find Maloney currently lacking in those aspects is understandable but for me we’ll need at least another couple of transfer windows (where we haven’t got our hands tied) before we can fairly judge him.

I see what you are saying Jeff but it isn’t necessarily so …what wages are the Stevenage players on based on their (2k ? Attendances)

They are in contention for the play offs, regardless of whether they ultimately make it or not.
Aside from their obvious gamesmanship I still thought they deserved their win last week and were better than us.
I expect we were the lowest paid or damn near it during our 8 year stay in the Premier League, featuring two cup finals.

It’s really about player selection coupled with team and tactics management.
That you find Maloney currently lacking in those aspects is understandable but for me we’ll need at least another couple of transfer windows (where we haven’t got our hands tied) before we can fairly judge him.
Stevenage play awful football just like us. Probably have a poorer squad overall than we have too so I do take your point.

So effectively you are saying he is a very good manager in that he holds the record for getting teams promoted and has a reputation for coming into clubs and keeping them up. The clubs he has subsequently left and who brought in a modern manager don’t do any better and also subsequently get sacked.

No. Basically I am saying he is a manager who in his time had some new ideas about how to manage players, as does Maloney now.

Maloney is bringing new ideas into the game now whereas Warnock has run out of new ideas and is brought into clubs to save them from relegation by going back to basics.

Nothing wrong with either but in answer to Franks post I would rather have a manager who brings a fresh style and ideas with him than someone who simply continues to play in an outdated fashion, or as some would have it "play to the players strengths".

If you continue to play in that fashion you are effectively saying that you are bereft of any ideas yourself and are simply going through the motions. In my opinion a manager should be looking to improve the players and not simply be happy to let them continue to play the way the have always done.

A very good window. Didn't lose any proper assets. Our two highest earners in Wyke and Lang gone with wages either covered in full or the majority of. Based on form of the last 3 months, neither deserved to be in the 18 man matchday squad and didn't fit Maloneys style and only kept getting picked because of past reputations.

With the likes of Amos, Wyke, Pearce and Magennis out of contract in the summer, that will pretty much be all of the high earners gone.

Hopefully we can then offer new contracts to Kerr, Jones and Humphrys who are still at a good age, reckon if Humphrys bagged a new contract, he would be back playing with a smile on his face and tearing teams apart again, showed what he can do with the 3rd goal today, not many League One players can do this regularly ove a season.

Would be inclined to cash in on Hughes in the Summer if we get 10m+ though should be looking at 15m+, Blackburn got 18m rising to 22m for Wharton who hasn't played much more Championship games than Hughes, Hughes showed he was one of the best players in the Championship last season after January and his performance against Manchester United showed he's Premier League ready now, far too good for League One.

If we can get a good deal for Charlie and only pay fees for players under 25 who will have resale value, then we can nicely set ourselves up to be self sufficient and strengthen our squad each season off the back of selling young players for good fees, to raise the wage bill to compete but be financially secure, like Brentford did over a 5+ year period to rise from League Two to the top.

The club have given a new 12-month contract to Scott Smith till Summer 2025 not sure if that's good or not. At least they are dealing with players contracts.

Last edited:
All the young lads on long term contracts ... bodes well for the future. :clap:

I get that some might say they aren't all good enough, but aside from your stars, you need decent "regulars" as well as solid squad players. Smith and Adeeko certainly fall into the latter category.

All the young lads on long term contracts ... bodes well for the future. :clap:

I get that some might say they aren't all good enough, but aside from your stars, you need decent "regulars" as well as solid squad players. Smith and Adeeko certainly fall into the latter category.

They will continual to improve.