January transfer window | Page 13 | Vital Football

January transfer window

Imagine where we would be now if the takeover hadn't happened. Carroll back on a pay as you play maybe? Bargain basement loans at best. Would probably have given up and cashed in on ASM to fund the promotion push next year.

Dan Burn ticks so many boxes. I saw an interview with him the other day in which I thought at the time that he was the sort of character that we should be bidding for and here we are. This is a million miles away from the Ashley era and relegation or not, the future is bright.

Haven't seen the lad play myself, is he any better than what we have? Not setting the bar very high there mind am I.

He's better than Clark and is left footed and I've a feeling Howe likes a lefty and a righty when it comes to centre backs. Probably the level of Lascelles when he was good a few seasons ago under Rafa or Fede when he's on his game. He's also English which if we're making signings is going to be essential for the squad quota.

Looks to me like there's a distinct strategy at play. We're targeting players for their last chance at a big move. Players for pretty much the next 2-3 years. Burn's 29, Wood's 30, Trippier 31. All could realistically playing Championship football with us next season. Established Premier League standard players though who can hopefully get us out of relegation and take us to mid table then be replaced as they're coming to the end of their careers. Not sure where it will leave us regards ffp as they all don't have much resale value in a few years time.

Looks to me like there's a distinct strategy at play. We're targeting players for their last chance at a big move. Players for pretty much the next 2-3 years. Burn's 29, Wood's 30, Trippier 31. All could realistically playing Championship football with us next season. Established Premier League standard players though who can hopefully get us out of relegation and take us to mid table then be replaced as they're coming to the end of their careers. Not sure where it will leave us regards ffp as they all don't have much resale value in a few years time.

With Ashley's spending plus the ability to increase our income massively with sponsors etc, I don't think we'll have an issue with finance.

Before Ashley came our turnover was top 4 or 5 in this country with us above Spurs. They now turnover around £400m a season with us roughly half of that. Surely we'll be able to increase ours by around £100m a season, if we stay up, in the next year or 2. That's before you get into the target area of what PIF want in us winning cups which would see us on a par with Man City.

Their turnover is North of half a billion, so there's potential for us to kick on with spending in my eyes plus there is the unlimited pot in regards to stadium and training ground improvements, more club shops and various other money making schemes.

Matt Targett looks likely to follow Burn with a loan move from Aston Villa. He's generally a left back but can play as a winger/wing back so you'd presume that means Ritchie is heading to Bournemouth or somewhere.