JANUARY SALES | Vital Football

JANUARY SALES

ZAKKY

Vital Football Hero
I'll start it off with Newsnow reporting that Everton are about to recall Broadhead with various Championship clubs looking to buy him, Let the rumours begin.

That wouldnt surprise me. 24 years old and just over 50 first team appearances whilst out on loan to various clubs. Its Everton's last chance to get anything for him and they clearly dont fancy him.

He'd be worth signing on a permanent basis as long as you can get the right deal as his injury record is pretty long. That said, he seems to have stayed injury-free thus far.

Was hoping we could go get Ryan porteous from Hibs as he would improve us but we're not going to compete with West brom or Sunderland in reality

We could sign him permanently but what would they value him at. Also what would be the point when we are just setting him up to fail in trying to play him as a lone striker. If Charlie was fit he would be on the bench anyway.

Really hope with kolo in charge we might get run a bit more professional and look at players a bit more than we have in the past. Why would you pay out massive wages on Fletcher given is record and injuries over the past few seasons. Same with Scully. I’m sure when we signed him he wasn’t brought in to clean the dressing rooms.

If Broadhead and Edmonds Green are recalled lets say straight after the Hull game then that gives us four loan spots free.

To me if Broadhead is recalled and then sold we need an out and out forward to replace him. To me we have had two players vying for the same position in Keane and Broadhead all season (the second striker/attacking midfield role behind a main forward). If Broadhead is recalled then Keane becomes our sole player in that role. To compliment Keane and either Aasgaard/Scully one side and Lang the other side we need to use the loan spot freed up by Broadhead being recalled to get an out and out striker in. One who has a bit of pace ideally and who can weigh in with some goals for us. My opinion on Wyke is that i think he will prove a useful sub at this level and a good option from the bench to bring on in games but not sure on him as a starter in the new system Toure wants to play.

We obviously wont be able to get a transfer fee for Macgennis given his age but getting his wages off the books will be of more important concern, thus id accept any free transfer offers for him. I feel there might be some League One clubs looking for an experienced striker out there. Offering him out on a free is pretty much our only chance of offloading him. It does seem like he isnt in Toure's plans and therefore we need to shift him if possible though i know its not going to be easy to do that.

A player at left back is an absolute must for us. When McClean is your best option in this position you know its a problem position for us. Id try and shift Bennett in a similar way to Macgennis, offer him to clubs on a free transfer and see if any clubs in League One or a cash rich club in League Two like a Stockport or a Salford are interested and need an experienced left back. There is also possibility of moving on Pearce, he has a year left after this on his deal so we might be able to get a transfer fee for him if we can get him back fit. I heard Oxford showed an interest in him in the summer months. So wonder if they might revive that interest?

Ideally we need to shift one before bringing in a left back. If we cant shift one and Pearce does return to fitness soon id be open to giving him a run of games as Bennett and McClean both been tried there and both dont look up to it.

McClean might be a player who could be on way out if we somehow do bring in a left back as id argue now at left wing Scully and Aasgaard are ahead of him and if we bring in a left back then you cant really find a role in the side for him. An escape route for McClean might be The League of Ireland. Some of the top clubs in that league like Shamrock Rovers might be keen on the idea of bringing in McClean to the League as a marquee signing. Shamrock can also tempt McClean with promise of European football for 2023-24 and their season runs February to November iirc. So i feel its a potential exit route out for McClean, still think again its one to let go on a free transfer given his age but he could still do a job in League of Ireland for a few more years, so he might be tempted by that move.

Two centre backs are an absolute must if Edmonds Green is recalled, if he isnt then one centre back is needed to partner Whatmough when he is back fit. Tilt isnt good enough to be a regular starter now at Championship level and is just a squad player at this level at best imo.

We absolutely need a central midfield too. Clear now Power isnt Championship starting material nowadays, Naylor also coming to the end as a starter at this level too and we never know if Cousins' injury issues will suddenly resurface. I know we have recalled Scott Smith but its too much to ask us to rely solely on too many academy kids like him and Hughes to step up now, Thelo is the only one imo capable of coming in now and playing at first team in the Championship for us.

One hell of a big window coming up for us and we need to be identifying targets right now ideally. We need bodies in before that Cardiff game, leave all our January business till end of window and its too late imo. We need to get some of our business for January done in first ten days of the window. Make or break window for our survival chances and we need to get it right

If Broadhead and Edmonds Green are recalled lets say straight after the Hull game then that gives us four loan spots free.

To me if Broadhead is recalled and then sold we need an out and out forward to replace him. To me we have had two players vying for the same position in Keane and Broadhead all season (the second striker/attacking midfield role behind a main forward). If Broadhead is recalled then Keane becomes our sole player in that role. To compliment Keane and either Aasgaard/Scully one side and Lang the other side we need to use the loan spot freed up by Broadhead being recalled to get an out and out striker in. One who has a bit of pace ideally and who can weigh in with some goals for us. My opinion on Wyke is that i think he will prove a useful sub at this level and a good option from the bench to bring on in games but not sure on him as a starter in the new system Toure wants to play.

We obviously wont be able to get a transfer fee for Macgennis given his age but getting his wages off the books will be of more important concern, thus id accept any free transfer offers for him. I feel there might be some League One clubs looking for an experienced striker out there. Offering him out on a free is pretty much our only chance of offloading him. It does seem like he isnt in Toure's plans and therefore we need to shift him if possible though i know its not going to be easy to do that.

A player at left back is an absolute must for us. When McClean is your best option in this position you know its a problem position for us. Id try and shift Bennett in a similar way to Macgennis, offer him to clubs on a free transfer and see if any clubs in League One or a cash rich club in League Two like a Stockport or a Salford are interested and need an experienced left back. There is also possibility of moving on Pearce, he has a year left after this on his deal so we might be able to get a transfer fee for him if we can get him back fit. I heard Oxford showed an interest in him in the summer months. So wonder if they might revive that interest?

Ideally we need to shift one before bringing in a left back. If we cant shift one and Pearce does return to fitness soon id be open to giving him a run of games as Bennett and McClean both been tried there and both dont look up to it.

McClean might be a player who could be on way out if we somehow do bring in a left back as id argue now at left wing Scully and Aasgaard are ahead of him and if we bring in a left back then you cant really find a role in the side for him. An escape route for McClean might be The League of Ireland. Some of the top clubs in that league like Shamrock Rovers might be keen on the idea of bringing in McClean to the League as a marquee signing. Shamrock can also tempt McClean with promise of European football for 2023-24 and their season runs February to November iirc. So i feel its a potential exit route out for McClean, still think again its one to let go on a free transfer given his age but he could still do a job in League of Ireland for a few more years, so he might be tempted by that move.

Two centre backs are an absolute must if Edmonds Green is recalled, if he isnt then one centre back is needed to partner Whatmough when he is back fit. Tilt isnt good enough to be a regular starter now at Championship level and is just a squad player at this level at best imo.

We absolutely need a central midfield too. Clear now Power isnt Championship starting material nowadays, Naylor also coming to the end as a starter at this level too and we never know if Cousins' injury issues will suddenly resurface. I know we have recalled Scott Smith but its too much to ask us to rely solely on too many academy kids like him and Hughes to step up now, Thelo is the only one imo capable of coming in now and playing at first team in the Championship for us.

One hell of a big window coming up for us and we need to be identifying targets right now ideally. We need bodies in before that Cardiff game, leave all our January business till end of window and its too late imo. We need to get some of our business for January done in first ten days of the window. Make or break window for our survival chances and we need to get it right
Sensible stuff.
But, this appears to be akin to ripping up the current team, for the new team to spend the rest of this season learning how to play with each other.
Benn there with Caldwell.

I've been expecting Broadhead to be recalled and sold to someone unfortunately. I'd like us to try and buy him but I think other clubs will probably offer more than we can. Think he's a top player but been horribly under utilised by us.

Rumour I've seen on Twitter is Shinnie is going back to Derby. I'm not at all suprised at that as he's another who's been criminally under used.

I'd be gutted to lose both of them - 2 of our only bright spots this season.

When we looked at Shinnie before he went to Derby he played left back for Aberdeen and was very good in that position for them and that's why they signed him, As we are struggling in that position it might be worth giving him a go.

Shinnie should've been tried at left back months ago when Bennett and McClean both struggling - especially if he's not starting in centre mid.

Those calling for incoming transfers in the first week or two of Jan are understandable but that is entirely dependent on the selling clubs who in practice tend to hold on to what they’ve got until they are sure who they have got coming in …this is what tends to delay all the last week/last hour transfers.
Exception is if you are waving a big wad of cash, full market value on the nail, (Liverpool and Gakpo ?) but we are unlikely to be doing that !

Another factor may be that we are hoping the strongly rumoured Milan bidding war for Ant Robinson is concluded sooner rather than later, making a sell on windfall available ?