JANUARY SALES | Page 2 | Vital Football

JANUARY SALES

If Broadhead and Edmonds Green are recalled lets say straight after the Hull game then that gives us four loan spots free.

To me if Broadhead is recalled and then sold we need an out and out forward to replace him. To me we have had two players vying for the same position in Keane and Broadhead all season (the second striker/attacking midfield role behind a main forward). If Broadhead is recalled then Keane becomes our sole player in that role. To compliment Keane and either Aasgaard/Scully one side and Lang the other side we need to use the loan spot freed up by Broadhead being recalled to get an out and out striker in. One who has a bit of pace ideally and who can weigh in with some goals for us. My opinion on Wyke is that i think he will prove a useful sub at this level and a good option from the bench to bring on in games but not sure on him as a starter in the new system Toure wants to play.

We obviously wont be able to get a transfer fee for Macgennis given his age but getting his wages off the books will be of more important concern, thus id accept any free transfer offers for him. I feel there might be some League One clubs looking for an experienced striker out there. Offering him out on a free is pretty much our only chance of offloading him. It does seem like he isnt in Toure's plans and therefore we need to shift him if possible though i know its not going to be easy to do that.

A player at left back is an absolute must for us. When McClean is your best option in this position you know its a problem position for us. Id try and shift Bennett in a similar way to Macgennis, offer him to clubs on a free transfer and see if any clubs in League One or a cash rich club in League Two like a Stockport or a Salford are interested and need an experienced left back. There is also possibility of moving on Pearce, he has a year left after this on his deal so we might be able to get a transfer fee for him if we can get him back fit. I heard Oxford showed an interest in him in the summer months. So wonder if they might revive that interest?

Ideally we need to shift one before bringing in a left back. If we cant shift one and Pearce does return to fitness soon id be open to giving him a run of games as Bennett and McClean both been tried there and both dont look up to it.

McClean might be a player who could be on way out if we somehow do bring in a left back as id argue now at left wing Scully and Aasgaard are ahead of him and if we bring in a left back then you cant really find a role in the side for him. An escape route for McClean might be The League of Ireland. Some of the top clubs in that league like Shamrock Rovers might be keen on the idea of bringing in McClean to the League as a marquee signing. Shamrock can also tempt McClean with promise of European football for 2023-24 and their season runs February to November iirc. So i feel its a potential exit route out for McClean, still think again its one to let go on a free transfer given his age but he could still do a job in League of Ireland for a few more years, so he might be tempted by that move.

Two centre backs are an absolute must if Edmonds Green is recalled, if he isnt then one centre back is needed to partner Whatmough when he is back fit. Tilt isnt good enough to be a regular starter now at Championship level and is just a squad player at this level at best imo.

We absolutely need a central midfield too. Clear now Power isnt Championship starting material nowadays, Naylor also coming to the end as a starter at this level too and we never know if Cousins' injury issues will suddenly resurface. I know we have recalled Scott Smith but its too much to ask us to rely solely on too many academy kids like him and Hughes to step up now, Thelo is the only one imo capable of coming in now and playing at first team in the Championship for us.

One hell of a big window coming up for us and we need to be identifying targets right now ideally. We need bodies in before that Cardiff game, leave all our January business till end of window and its too late imo. We need to get some of our business for January done in first ten days of the window. Make or break window for our survival chances and we need to get it right

Jesus mate, that's half the current squad out of the door.

One, it will never happen as there is no way the board will sanction that expenditure and Two, where the hell are we going to find that many clubs willing to let the type of player you are advocating go mid season. Never mind the disruption it would cause trying to incorporate that many new players into a squad and expecting them to gel in time to save us.

I understand your frustrations but what you are asking for is something that could only happen on Football Manager.

Those calling for incoming transfers in the first week or two of Jan are understandable but that is entirely dependent on the selling clubs who in practice tend to hold on to what they’ve got until they are sure who they have got coming in …this is what tends to delay all the last week/last hour transfers.
Exception is if you are waving a big wad of cash, full market value on the nail, (Liverpool and Gakpo ?) but we are unlikely to be doing that !

Another factor may be that we are hoping the strongly rumoured Milan bidding war for Ant Robinson is concluded sooner rather than later, making a sell on windfall available ?

In that case we need to be looking at our two (possibly four depending on whether Broadhead and REG) are recalled loan spots we are going to have available for signings. Id imagine there are some PL U23 players who clubs have now earmarked for loan deals in January, we need to be making early enquiries about these players right away, waiting would be fatal as another club may steal in before January deadline day and may take these possible targets off us. To me if we wait till January deadline day for all our business, we are in trouble as we need new January signings to be in for the Cardiff game mid month.

Those three games vs Hull, Luton and Cardiff in January are massive for rest of our season, if we lose these games then we might be 7 to 9 points adrift of safety by Deadline Day in January. Good luck attracting signings then as no one will come. We cant do anything by the Hull game on the 2nd but we do need 2 or 3 bodies in through the door for that Cardiff game on the 14th. Accept its not easy but we are now paying the price for the slow recruitment and subsequent panic buying at end of the window in the summer.

The Robinson situation is interesting and that could be a much needed cash windfall for us. Id also on 1st January get in touch with Hearts and see how much they want to pay to make Humphrys' loan a permanent one. They have some money from their Conference League campaign (think they made about 3 million). If they offer 200k to make the move permanent, i would take that offer as it gives us some cash in the short term. Basically we need to move from the off in January when it comes to potential new arrivals, our situation doesnt really give us time to delay business imo

One, it will never happen as there is no way the board will sanction that expenditure and Two, where the hell are we going to find that many clubs willing to let the type of player you are advocating go mid season. Never mind the disruption it would cause trying to incorporate that many new players into a squad and expecting them to gel in time to save us.

I understand your frustrations but what you are asking for is something that could only happen on Football Manager.

Im being overoptimistic i know and yes the frustration is probably coming out a fair bit. However, if some of our loan deals are recalled then we do have to try do something fast in the window. We delayed too much with signings in the summer and imo are paying the price for it now. We have to try move fast if we can this window, even if i accept its going to be difficult.

I do think there are grounds to move McClean on though if we can secure a left back this window as he will be surplus to requirements all down the left side. Given the League of Ireland's season starts in February thats a realistic exit route for one of the larger teams in that league with European football to offer him.

I know a larger rebuild and refresh of the squad is probably going to happen next summer but i do hope we are planning for January now, our situation is desperate especially if two of our loans are recalled

Im being overoptimistic i know and yes the frustration is probably coming out a fair bit. However, if some of our loan deals are recalled then we do have to try do something fast in the window. We delayed too much with signings in the summer and imo are paying the price for it now. We have to try move fast if we can this window, even if i accept its going to be difficult.

I do think there are grounds to move McClean on though if we can secure a left back this window as he will be surplus to requirements all down the left side. Given the League of Ireland's season starts in February thats a realistic exit route for one of the larger teams in that league with European football to offer him.

I know a larger rebuild and refresh of the squad is probably going to happen next summer but i do hope we are planning for January now, our situation is desperate especially if two of our loans are recalled

I agree that we need to move quickly in the window, but I would still ask the question of where the players are to come from. Unless we are prepared to pay substantial amounts of cash, possibly above the normal asking price, clubs are going to be reluctant to release the type of player you are advocating.

In my opinion the loan market will be the route taken, but this has its drawbacks, as most of the players available are untested at Championship level and it begs the question if they are up to a relegation battle or whether their parent clubs want them to join a relegation threatened club.

We can speculate all we like on this forum but the reality is totally different to what many believe and bringing players in is not like going to the supermarket and picking them off a shelf. I think that there are many that believe that players are lining up to join us whereas the reality is that experienced professionals will think twice about joining a club in our position and don't want a relegation on their CV.

In my opinion KT will have been using the past three games to assess the current players and how to use their strengths and will probably do the same tomorrow. He will look to the January window to fill in the holes that he sees and will attempt to bring in the replacements needed, which may or may not happen. He will then have to work with the players he manages to bring in to integrate them into the system he favours.

All this will take time and we probably won't see the finished article this season, but I do think there is enough strength in the squad we have with two or three additions to stave off relegation. This season is going to be a struggle, of that there is no doubt in my mind, but I am looking forward to seeing what KT is able to do with the squad and what the summer brings in terms of a change of personnel.

That’s what I was alluding to in an earlier post. We have to manage our expectations as it’s highly unlikely there will be significant changes. The Board have set their stall out with the current squad.

This window will be another disaster. We’ll see a few departures of our better players, be it sold, released or returned to parent clubs. Then we’ll be unable to replace them and end up on deadline day like our usual supermarket sweep bringing in unfit, unwanted dross. The club is drifting and the plan at present seems to be to just wing it and hope for the best.

This window will be another disaster. We’ll see a few departures of our better players, be it sold, released or returned to parent clubs. Then we’ll be unable to replace them and end up on deadline day like our usual supermarket sweep bringing in unfit, unwanted dross. The club is drifting and the plan at present seems to be to just wing it and hope for the best.
Mate, I'm with you re Richardson, but this seems like you predicting doom simply to justify your "pissedoffness".

The Chief Exec has a decent track record at other clubs, and though admittedly, the last window wasn't great for us, the previous two weren't bad.

I think we have to assume that at Toure's interview, this window was discussed, leaving both parties happy with the plans.

Why does everyone assume that the owners dont have any money? Nobody knows how much their worth but everyone seems to think were skint
It’s not so much how much money they actually have but more a case of what budget they provide for the club.

Mate, I'm with you re Richardson, but this seems like you predicting doom simply to justify your "pissedoffness".

The Chief Exec has a decent track record at other clubs, and though admittedly, the last window wasn't great for us, the previous two weren't bad.

I think we have to assume that at Toure's interview, this window was discussed, leaving both parties happy with the plans.

As I explained on another thread the last six months have been poor and suggest some deep seated problems. Regardless of any promises made, we’ve been here before haven’t we. To hope we can recruit enough quality players and implement a new style of playing I think is extremely optimistic. Am I pissed off? Yes I am, but more worryingly I am concerned about how we are being run and honestly believe this window will provide more evidence of it.

I agree that we need to move quickly in the window, but I would still ask the question of where the players are to come from. Unless we are prepared to pay substantial amounts of cash, possibly above the normal asking price, clubs are going to be reluctant to release the type of player you are advocating.

In my opinion the loan market will be the route taken, but this has its drawbacks, as most of the players available are untested at Championship level and it begs the question if they are up to a relegation battle or whether their parent clubs want them to join a relegation threatened club.

We can speculate all we like on this forum but the reality is totally different to what many believe and bringing players in is not like going to the supermarket and picking them off a shelf. I think that there are many that believe that players are lining up to join us whereas the reality is that experienced professionals will think twice about joining a club in our position and don't want a relegation on their CV.

In my opinion KT will have been using the past three games to assess the current players and how to use their strengths and will probably do the same tomorrow. He will look to the January window to fill in the holes that he sees and will attempt to bring in the replacements needed, which may or may not happen. He will then have to work with the players he manages to bring in to integrate them into the system he favours.

All this will take time and we probably won't see the finished article this season, but I do think there is enough strength in the squad we have with two or three additions to stave off relegation. This season is going to be a struggle, of that there is no doubt in my mind, but I am looking forward to seeing what KT is able to do with the squad and what the summer brings in terms of a change of personnel.

Very true, how we use those remaining loans we have free will be so important not to mention ones that could be freed up if REG and Broadhead are recalled. Hopefully our loans in January see more Broadhead loans which have been a positive in terms of games played and performance rather than the Fletcher loan.

Totally agree on the summer too. Get the feeling there will be a big turnover regardless of what league we are in next season and feel that with loads of players out of contract then it will give Toure free reign to put his stamp fully on the playing squad

Why does everyone assume that the owners dont have any money? Nobody knows how much their worth but everyone seems to think were skint

We didn’t strengthen during the summer, have problems paying salaries on time and sponsorship seems to have dried up. So I guess that’s why people assume that. I think it’s more of a case they are unwilling to bankroll the club having realised it’s a business that just swallows money and have lost interest.

As I explained on another thread the last six months have been poor and suggest some deep seated problems. Regardless of any promises made, we’ve been here before haven’t we. To hope we can recruit enough quality players and implement a new style of playing I think is extremely optimistic. Am I pissed off? Yes I am, but more worryingly I am concerned about how we are being run and honestly believe this window will provide more evidence of it.

Let's say I go along with what you say, and the last 6 months have been poor ... surely, just like we both believe that Richardson deserved more time to turn things around before being written off, don't the management team deserve the same opportunity?

I get a cautious outlook ... I just don't really get such a pessimistic one.

We didn’t strengthen during the summer, have problems paying salaries on time and sponsorship seems to have dried up. So I guess that’s why people assume that. I think it’s more of a case they are unwilling to bankroll the club having realised it’s a business that just swallows money and have lost interest.

But the fact that they didnt go for the cheap option in appointing Kolo sort of goes against that theory.
Why do you have such a downer on the club and owners? What good does it do to anyone you coming on here spreading you negativity

Let's say I go along with what you say, and the last 6 months have been poor ... surely, just like we both believe that Richardson deserved more time to turn things around before being written off, don't the management team deserve the same opportunity?

I get a cautious outlook ... I just don't really get such a pessimistic one.

So balance (😉) up the pessimism....I'm gonna say KT gets us a few decent loans in from his former clubs.....
Vary on loan from Liecs
Robertson on loan from Lpool
Fodon on loan from City
Ramsdale on loan from Arsenal
& finally No loans from Celtic but poaching Morales from Rangers.....

Apart from the above nonsense, I hope he can get us a player or three from his previous clubs & can start to reverse our fortunes.....😉

What good does it do to anyone you coming on here spreading you negativity

Much as I don't share his negative view, I suppose he has just as much right to post it as those wanting rid of Richardson, slagging off half the team (and one or two players in particular) and whinging about just about everything re from selection, through team set-up to style of play over (regardless of us ending up as Champions) the past couple of seasons.

I'd hate to be on a board where the "spreading of negativity" wasn't allowed.