Ivan Toney | Page 6 | Vital Football

Ivan Toney

Grigg definitely gave an interview when he left saying that as soon as he had heard of Sunderland's interest, he wanted to join & he was glad the 2 clubs had been able to sort something out in the end.
That could either be true or just something that most players (bar the likes of Josh Windass) say when they join a new club

He could also look miserable in a Sunderland shirt coz they don't play in a system that suits him, his goals dried up pretty quickly & the crowd started to get on his back (pretty quickly too) and not just coz he didn't want to leave Latics

Wigan - 86 matches, 44 goals, 9 assists.
MK Dons - 45 matches, 20 goals, 5 assists.
Brentford - 41 matches, 5 goals, 1 assist.
Walsall - 137 matches, 27 goals, 7 assists.

How many of those goals were at championship level ?

I'll save you the bother 50 games at Championship level 9 goals

that's why Brentford got rid fare to say league 1 standard striker
I've got a bit of sympathy for Grigg in this respect. The first time he was in the Championship, it was under Caldwell-Joyce-Barrow and we were a struggling team. He got 5 goals and 3 assists in 33 games (9 on as a sub) - not a great return I'll admit - but we were awful that season so i'm prepared to give some slack. In the half season he was with us last year he had 4 goals and 1 assist in 17 games (7 on as a sub, where he was brought on late in to the game and couldn't really get the chance to score). I'm not saying this makes him Champ quality - I know there's things to critique about his overall game which makes him more a Lg1 striker - but stats wise, he was doing alright second time around to be fair to him.

I've got a bit of sympathy for Grigg in this respect. The first time he was in the Championship, it was under Caldwell-Joyce-Barrow and we were a struggling team. He got 5 goals and 3 assists in 33 games (9 on as a sub) - not a great return I'll admit - but we were awful that season so i'm prepared to give some slack. In the half season he was with us last year he had 4 goals and 1 assist in 17 games (7 on as a sub, where he was brought on late in to the game and couldn't really get the chance to score). I'm not saying this makes him Champ quality - I know there's things to critique about his overall game which makes him more a Lg1 striker - but stats wise, he was doing alright second time around to be fair to him.
The first season we were in the Championship with Will he was out injured and his supplier Powell spent a good deal of time injured too. Same happened last season. That had a big bearing on his statistics too.

The first season we were in the Championship with Will he was out injured and his supplier Powell spent a good deal of time injured too. Same happened last season. They have big beatings on statistics too.
Absolutely, there's a lot of factors to consider aside from the literal stats. Plus, I think from memory all of his goals bar one last season came before the now infamous Preston drubbing that made Cook loose complete faith in the having a go at teams approach that got us a few wins and upto the top half of the table. That tactical change coupled with the injuries and the probable loss of confidence Grigg suffered from becoming a sub all adds together and impacts.

Think my initial post on the stats reflected all of that. Ultimately, £3m for a then misfiring striker, who hasn't done anything of real note since is good business. Yes the statistics tell one part of the story, but the harsh reality of sport is what seperates average from good, good from better, better from best, is that ability to perform whilst all that goes on - Cristiano Ronaldo had personal turmoil and still went out game after game and performed. History doesn't remember those points much, just what you did and how well you did it.

You can go back through recent history and see quite a few players who we made on that then didn't get the arm round them, the backing from us the fans and the regular playing time. Wildschut, N'Zogbia, Kone, Rodallega, Palacios and you could even argue Al Habsi all went elsewhere and ended up not being first team regulars after us. All different reasons.

We're 2nd in the league for long forward passes attempted. Just thought I'd point that out.

So what, what I say is nothing to do with that, I am talking about how our midfield are so slow moving the ball forward, not defence hoofing it, we need to pass quicker, make runs from midfield with the ball get it wide quicker and ultimately cross it quicker, nothing to do with long balls, in fact it means it may cut out the long ball crap.

So what, what I say is nothing to do with that, I am talking about how our midfield are so slow moving the ball forward, not defence hoofing it, we need to pass quicker, make runs from midfield with the ball get it wide quicker and ultimately cross it quicker, nothing to do with long balls, in fact it means it may cut out the long ball crap.

Thanks for clarifying. What you have just said can be achieved with the system of play in place. Changing formation of a side lacking confidence is a bad idea. Putting the emphasis on a young player carrying the goal threat could go either way. What you speak of isn't system, it is all about attitudes of the players. Playing two up top doesn't mask our defensive issues either. I'd expand upon it but I think post-match vs Brentford summed up well enough where we are.

Not going to say in front of there fans he didn’t want to come

Believe what you will, John, that's your prerogative, but you must also allow others their beliefs.

I believe he made it quite clear that he was happy to leave and that he considered it a decent move to a bigger club, that was his decision and he was free to make it.

Imagine the Mackem fans faces, if he'd said "i didn't really want to leave Wigan Athletic i wanted to stay but the club couldn't turn down £3m+ but i'm here now so i'll give it my best"

That would have gone down like a lead balloon.

Believe what you will, John, that's your prerogative, but you must also allow others their beliefs.

I believe he made it quite clear that he was happy to leave and that he considered it a decent move to a bigger club, that was his decision and he was free to make it.
The post as been lost what I said was he would have scored more in 16 games than these 2 players Cook as signed that’s all yes every one as there own thoughts. But some on here don’t think any one else knows any thing about wigan

Imagine the Mackem fans faces, if he'd said "i didn't really want to leave Wigan Athletic i wanted to stay but the club couldn't turn down £3m+ but i'm here now so i'll give it my best"

That would have gone down like a lead balloon.

Isn't that the impression that Windass gave when he joined us, but most of our fans have accepted that he didn't really want to come.

There is only one person who knows the truth of whether he was happy to go or not and he was the one making the statement to the Sunderland fans.

By the way, whilst on holiday last year I met up with the secretary of one of the local branches of the Black Cats supporters clubs, and to be honest he was stunned that they had managed to sign him and was made up that Will had joined them.

I contacted him last week and his manner had changed, to say he was disappointed would be an understatement.

The post as been lost what I said was he would have scored more in 16 games than these 2 players Cook as signed that’s all yes every one as there own thoughts. But some on here don’t think any one else knows any thing about wigan

I think we are at cross purposes here John, my reply was specifically about the fact that you posted that Grigg was forced out. In my opinion that was not the case.

Whether he would have scored more goals than the strikers we have currently is, for me, a moot point. He is no longer here and since his departure our system of play has totally changed.

As I said, you are entitled to your opinion, an opinion that is as valued as any, and is neither wrong nor right, but so are the opinions of other posters. Whether you know more about Wigan than other posters does not invalidate their opinions nor does it make them any more or less right than you. They are opinions and you can agree or disagree with them as you see fit. We all see things differently and that's what makes the forum interesting.

I think we are at cross purposes here John, my reply was specifically about the fact that you posted that Grigg was forced out. In my opinion that was not the case.

Whether he would have scored more goals than the strikers we have currently is, for me, a moot point. He is no longer here and since his departure our system of play has totally changed.

As I said, you are entitled to your opinion, an opinion that is as valued as any, and is neither wrong nor right, but so are the opinions of other posters. Whether you know more about Wigan than other posters does not invalidate their opinions nor does it make them any more or less right than you. They are opinions and you can agree or disagree with them as you see fit. We all see things differently and that's what makes the forum interesting.
And you are correct my frd but some on here comment on every post.I put on here I have been a wigan fan a very long time seen more ups and downs than most have seen Even been part of the staff in years gone by and like you said every one as aview. On things at our Great club