It was sixty years ago today | Page 8 | Vital Football

It was sixty years ago today

This is one of my all time favourites.It never got near the top of the charts but should have done.Died with Buddy Holly of course in my opinion this guy could have been massive had he been around a little longer.It was the only non English language song to be voted into the top 500 songs of all time .

Only 17 years old when he died a great lost to pop music.
A one hit wonder so we'll never know but he was immortalised in the line "The Day The Music Died".

meanwhile, in the UK 1960, (a parallel universe, seemingly) this was cool for beatniks :
Had a long chat with Joe Harriott after a gig in the GI Club back in the sixties (is that still going?).

Nice guy, rather shy, maybe not used to being approached by white fanboys. Monster alto player, way ahead of his time, up with Ornette and Dolphy for me. Legend.

Great post, Mustafa.

I don't know much about jazz or classical music. I know I've heard some stuff from both genres that I really, really love but I'd be hard pressed to tell you which stuff! Equally, there's a lot of times I hear jazz or classical music and it doesn't appeal to me at all. What's difficult is knowing what to check out and what not to waste time with, especially given that there's so much other music I already know I really love. Perhaps you could give me some suggestions of where to start?

I really love the early ska records where they took the jazz and fused it with the Jamaican ska beat. Have you ever listened to any? If not try listening to some Tommy McCook and Roland Alphonso...

Cannot abide any jazz or opera, in fact also cannot anything much post 1980 either lol.

I like nothing better than going back in time to uncover new music. Tracking original versions of covers, letting Spotify lead me down a 'you like this so you might like that' route. Even listening to Desert Island Discs on the BBC app is another great way to challenge yourself to find something new that inspired Anthony Gormley or Helena Bonham Carter
I discovered the amazing Link Wray last year after hearing his 'Comanche' played by Billy Childish. Link's iconic 'Rumble' is the backing to so many adverts but that guitar sound from the fifties has really stood the test of time.

Gold radio is now very good now for 60s and 70s.

I reckon taste in music is similar to taste in food: it largely depends on what you grew up with, the time when you grew up, the place where you grew up, how open you are to trying new things, where you ended up going later in life, the opportunities you got, and ultimately the shape of your taste buds. We all end up with blind spots, and that's perfectly OK.

I'd like to know more about jazz and classical, for example, but on the other hand I've been to the opera and it's still as closed a book to me as is kabuki theatre. You can't say any one art form's better than any other - not that anyone here has been saying that - because that's all it is: taste. Well actually you could, but you'd need very good, watertight arguments to back it up.

But even within the genres you're familiar with, I bet anyone here could name loads of artists who leave them cold, even though they're loved by people who's taste and opinions they otherwise respect. However, arguing the toss about that is half the fun of it.

Hmm1960 I was 12 yrs old Buddy holly was the first record I remember cos then we all listened to the radio . No telly not in our house anyhow. It was It doesn't matter any more. His music struck a chord with me no pun intended .I took the wife to see the musical in London about 10 years ago and the audience were rocking at the end .....Magical. But yes I remember all that have been mentioned. Two others spring to mind Marty Wilde and Billy Fury. Always been a rock fan. At a later date became a fan of Cream .Fantastic music in early 60s.Sold all my old records (LPs) yrs ago but have it all on hard disc at home so when I feel like a touch of the old days ( and the wife is out) I give it a blast on the stereo.

Last edited:
I think many of us children of the 50s and 60s have an affection for much of the music from those decades. The 70s saw so many new genres of music from glam to punk, disco to heavy metal and new wave or indie. The 80s and 90s+ sounds for many my age (60ish) are more difficult to fall in love with as there were less new genres that appealled. I like some house tunes. Some dance/trance tracks are fine if I'm are in the mood (or driving) and some rap tracks contain amazing poetic lyrics better (if you have headphones). Since the 70s for me it has been about enjoying the brilliant individuals or bands that have broken through inspired by the earlier genres.

I reckon taste in music is similar to taste in food: it largely depends on what you grew up with, the time when you grew up, the place where you grew up, how open you are to trying new things, where you ended up going later in life, the opportunities you got, and ultimately the shape of your taste buds. We all end up with blind spots, and that's perfectly OK.

I'd like to know more about jazz and classical, for example, but on the other hand I've been to the opera and it's still as closed a book to me as is kabuki theatre. You can't say any one art form's better than any other - not that anyone here has been saying that - because that's all it is: taste. Well actually you could, but you'd need very good, watertight arguments to back it up.

But even within the genres you're familiar with, I bet anyone here could name loads of artists who leave them cold, even though they're loved by people who's taste and opinions they otherwise respect. However, arguing the toss about that is half the fun of it.

Indeed, you’ve reminded me of the time (in 1991) when we went to Snape Maltings to see a performance of Sumidagawa, the Japanese Nō play that had inspired Benjamin Britten to write Curlew River, which was performed in the second half.

The Nō company entered chanting from the rear of the auditorium, through the transfixed audience to the stage. It was electrifying - no knowledge of Japanese was necessary to feel the drama.

Our daughter who was nine at the time had to write an essay about what had happened over the weekend. When we next met her teacher she had a clear memory of the impression it had left on our daughter, and on her classmates.

I wouldn’t say my daughter has a big collection of Nō videos now, but she certainly has a healthy open mind to different forms of music and other arts.

Oh absolutely, Mustafa, and I'd bet your family's grounding in opera was a good springboard for appreciating Nō.

It's not for me, but that's because my musical upbringing is too many steps away from it, and the time and effort to get there would be too daunting for a lazy sod like me. Maybe one day, though, you never know.

Talking of crossing the genres, here's our next pop topper - the King himself - 8 weeks from November to December 1960. Anyone fancy an ice cream?

Oh absolutely, Mustafa, and I'd bet your family's grounding in opera was a good springboard for appreciating Nō.

It's not for me, but that's because my musical upbringing is too many steps away from it, and the time and effort to get there would be too daunting for a lazy sod like me. Maybe one day, though, you never know.

Talking of crossing the genres, here's our next pop topper - the King himself - 8 weeks from November to December 1960. Anyone fancy an ice cream?

Always liked Presley from a nipper, even the Vegas stuff. Set the standard for gilded cage self indulgence from the off, all of us can do a version now.