It was sixty years ago today | Page 11 | Vital Football

It was sixty years ago today

Enjoy the moment Helen, it won't last long. I still love that voice. All 1961 hits but the two number ones recorded when she was 14 and still at school.

Bit concerned that the last one appears as "Don't Treat Me Like A C...". Seems appropriate for this board.

Next up, Elvis again (4 weeks, January-February 1961)

Godawful schmalz, if you ask me. 61 needs to up its game. It hasn't been a patch on 60 so far.

Superb disc spinning last night, Wayne. I thought I'd heard of Ruby and the Romantics (which was excellent by the way), but then realised I'd got them conflated with Rita and the Tiaras

and Randy and the Rainbows

Zappa didn't do drugs but just about everything else but always with top musicians

Last edited:
Friday night is music night, and our next number 1 is Petula Clark with Sailor (1 week in February 1961).

It's a throwback to the fifties-style hits, really, being a cover of a German schlager.
Here's the original:

May 29 1961
Ricky Nelson returns to #1 in the US charts with

Saw him perform in Sydney; after the concert, he sat on the edge of the stage and chatted with fans for about an hour. It was in 1983 not so long before he took another rock and roller fateful flight.

Ploughing on, it picks up a bit in my opinion with an double A side by the Everly brothers:

b/w

Ooh, that second one's cheesy, but it seems to me that the brothers were one of the few big acts to keep up a consistently decent standard around this time.