It was sixty years ago today | Page 6 | Vital Football

It was sixty years ago today

Ronnie Hawkins - he of The Band too

Yes, indeed, Wayne. Though I think you mean, 'The Hawks' (Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, Levon Helm, Richard Manuel), it was they who went on to form The Band, not Hawkins himself.

It was because of Ronnie Hawkins and then, The Band, that I named Robbie Robertson as one of the five artists in that thread a while ago. I was only really 'using' him so I could get all the Ronnie Hawkins stuff and The Band in there (a bit of a cheat, I know). I suppose that with Robertson I'd also have got all those movie scores!

Last edited:
Yes, indeed, Wayne. Though I think you mean, 'The Hawks' (Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, Levon Helm, Richard Manuel), it was they who went on to form The Band, not Hawkins himself.
Yes indeed and I'll forgive you for missing out the wonderful Garth Hudson. This is a bit corny but it's such a great song:

V angry about rights to songs. Brother in law saw him in band in Minneapolis after the throat cancer surgery. The rest were young guys and he didn't sing. Just played the drums. I've CD's of most of the rest of them (not Robbie, he did well), singing in a bar with Paul Butterfield. A few sparks but mainly not good. We forget their big hits don't generate that much money and they still have to have an income. The road was indeed a killer as they got older stuck in that sportin' life.

For those still recovering from the vibrant animal excitement of Cliff, here's Johnny Kidd and the Pirates Shakin' All Over (1 week - August 1960)

Gotta say, this hasn't been a bad year so far.

It was because of Ronnie Hawkins and then, The Band, that I named Robbie Robertson as one of the five artists in that thread a while ago. I was only really 'using' him so I could get all the Ronnie Hawkins stuff and The Band in there (a bit of a cheat, I know). I suppose that with Robertson I'd also have got all those movie scores!