It was sixty years ago today | Page 10 | Vital Football

It was sixty years ago today

Next up, it's the Big O for 2 weeks in September and October 1960.

I saw a west end stage play based on Roy Orbison's life story.i thought it would be something similar to Buddy which I enjoyed both the original and the later slightly different version. I enjoy Roy Orbison songs but frankly my view of the stage play was while the songs were well delivered. The play was extremely depressing.

I saw a west end stage play based on Roy Orbison's life story.i thought it would be something similar to Buddy which I enjoyed both the original and the later slightly different version. I enjoy Roy Orbison songs but frankly my view of the stage play was while the songs were well delivered. The play was extremely depressing.
That's life I'm afraid. A nice closure to Roy Orbison's life is to see him playing with the Travelling Wilburys.

All right, Pop Pickers, here's tonight's instalment (3 weeks, Sept-Oct 1960).

And it's our first taste of Death Pop, which seemed to be a massive thing around that time. I wonder why that was - perhaps because so many pop stars had been dropping like flies around then?
Sorry to be late on this.

Now you're talking Alderman. Classic OTT sentimentality. So much so that I actually liked it in a wierd sort of way.

Looking forward to Big Bad John by Jimmy Dean some time in '61. Did it get to no. 1?

All right you mucky pups, you've had your fun.

Settle down now and listen to something elevating by Johnny Tillotson (2 weeks, January 1961) and think about what you've done.

Sorry to be late on this.

Now you're talking Alderman. Classic OTT sentimentality. So much so that I actually liked it in a wierd sort of way.

Looking forward to Big Bad John by Jimmy Dean some time in '61. Did it get to no. 1?

It didn't, but there were others of that genre, which we shall come to in due course.