Injuries 2023/24 | Page 5 | Vital Football

Injuries 2023/24

Given the competition for places and the Euros next year, I'd be shocked if he declared himself unfit for England but played this weekend.

It would be unusual, but it's not unknown; it really will come down to the conversation he'd have had with Southgate, although I do note that we've said he will be unavailable for both games, which probably means he won't be starting.

Shit. Here we go. Now our pts total will tank..

Hopefully, following the trend so far this season, those who need to step up, do. Dier has experience and despite his lack of pace is capable of doing well - like against Chelsea (bar a few rusty moments.) I'm hoping Lo Celso and/or Bentancur can step up to somewhat fill the Maddison void. They are more than capable, even if they are slightly different types of player.

I'm not totally negative, because so far we have done A LOOOOOOT better than I expected. There may even be the scenario where someone like Phillips or Donley get a chance and take it - which then saves us money in Jan.

I'm staying positive.

Think everybody knew we were going into the season a bit light on quality back ups in several positions but I would guess no one really anticipated so many injuries and suspensions hitting at the same time. With the run of fixtures we have the timing couldn’t be much worse but fortunately Bents has recovered at exactly the right time and maybe Gil or La Celso will get more opportunities as should our new Argentinian strike. Midfield ok until Jan unless we get further setbacks and if Porro misses tomorrow god knows what our back four will be but whatever it will lack some pace which could leave us very vulnerable.

Big test for Ange and the squad let’s hope we can get through to January and still be in contention for the top four.

With Maddison out I'd like to see Kulu moved centrally to play in an advanced midfield position, with Johnson then being the obvious wide right selection. Maybe Kulu, Johnson, Son and Gil as the front four. Postco won't be backing off that's for sure.