Imps retained/released list.... | Page 5 | Vital Football

Imps retained/released list....

It's a real shame to see Harry leaving us after so long and such good times, but I did wonder if this would happen. I wonder if it's down to the size of his wages, as a relic from the Cowley days, and if Appleton thinks he can use the money more effectively? Either way, gutted to see you go Harry, all the best - and please don't score against us in the future!

will be interested to see what level anderson ends up at.

i would only be judging if he is missed, once the replacement is signed. as we are apparently looking to improve the contracted members of squad over loans, expect the replacement to be somewhere near as good as rogers or johnson.

also... how much have we missed bostwick, andrade, eardley, vickers...?

surprised archibald had a contract longer than one year... but give him a full pre-season, get fit, some improvements and he might surprise. same applies to quite a few of the others, who are still young enough to be improving - even poole.

Hardly a big surprise, reading between the lines of recent MA interviews this was decided weeks ago. I didn't realise we had so many contracted players. Got to be a good place to start the season with core of a successful team already in situ - can't really remember the last season we we were in that place. (Subject to bids coming in for one or two), although I don't expect anyone who we might want to keep going on the cheap. Bring on 21/22.

Anderson did well for us in his time here but his time had come to a natural conclusion. He isn't an MA type of wideman and I'd imagine he was on a decent wage.

We've lost everyone from the league 2 winning side and our team now would comfortably beat that team in my opinion and that's before we've even brought any new players in.

We're fishing in a different pool now, the level of players willing to join us is higher than at any point in recent history. Players like Anderson, Elbouzedi, Melbourne and Archibald (they may not be on the released list, but that's only as they're still in contract. No chance they'll be involved next year, possibly the same for Jones) simply aren't as good as the players MA has already and clearly feels he can attract to replace them.

No room for sentimentality, we're moving forward and there's bound to be people left behind.

No surprises, has a been a good servant. What was it ? 9 14 starts in EFL League 1.

Edit:

Last edited:
that's a shame but not a surprise - I suspect he will be seen next year in Pompey colours. Perhaps they have offered him a deal that was too good to turn down!

Re Archibald he is under contract so he will be included in that list. However doesn't mean that he will not leave by mutual consent in the summer
I don’t think they’ll be making an offer too good to turn down. They’re struggling to retain players they want to as they’re cutting their budget so much. Whatmough to Wigan, Close to Doncaster, Williams to Oxford….

I think you’re still right that Harry will end up there. I’m just not Appleton fancies him.

Very sad to see Harry leave. Our last link with the National League and with him going, that ride is finally over. Can’t see Harry being anything other than hot property for another club. Whether it’s Portsmouth or even Bolton if rumours are correct, there’s a high chance we’ll see him back very soon. Thanks for the memories and good luck.

Bolton Charlton and Portsmouth all been mentioned... I think it's a shame but probably a win win for Harry as he will be on more money most likely and start more games too.

I don’t think they’ll be making an offer too good to turn down. They’re struggling to retain players they want to as they’re cutting their budget so much. Whatmough to Wigan, Close to Doncaster, Williams to Oxford….

I think you’re still right that Harry will end up there. I’m just not Appleton fancies him.
Nah, DC is just doing what he did here after we got into League 2 - making players low-ball offers because he never wanted to keep them anyway. Did it with Power, Hawkridge, Muldoon, Marriott.

I wonder if this was Harry being surplus to requirements or him not being happy with the deal offered to him? I can't imagine he'd be thrown on the scrap heap purely because of footballing potential and mentality? I know sentiment isn't a factor for anyone involved in football (and hasn't been for a long long time), but I would like to think Harry is an objectively good L1 footballer.