Harry Winks - Player Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

Harry Winks - Player Thread

He is one of our own, but I thought he was shite after replacing Ndombele.

Here's the problem though. Winks came on in the middle and Sissoko in his infinite wisdom decide to play RB/RM again. Sissoko needed to stay in there alongside him and Winks should have been bollocking his team mate for his poor discipline. We've seen it so many times with these two together. They don't play as a partnership.

Here's the problem though. Winks came on in the middle and Sissoko in his infinite wisdom decide to play RB/RM again. Sissoko needed to stay in there alongside him and Winks should have been bollocking his team mate for his poor discipline. We've seen it so many times with these two together. They don't play as a partnership.
Yeah I suspect Sissoko may have peaked as a spurs player. Winksy has some good games, but it’s usually a good half rather than 90 mins. I just think that he doesn’t have enough in his locker. He is decent at many things but for me he lacks awareness (same as mousse) which is crucial in epl center mid, and just isn’t a good enough passer, probably partly because of his lack of awareness. His goal threat is minimal. I’d love Harry winks to establish himself as a big player but I think he needs to improve fairly dramatically to be what we need to push for trophies.

Some fans think a Winks and Sissoko partnership is amazing.

It's no coincidence our form has dropped like a bad kebab since these two have paired up. Not all their fault but they are a massive problem yet Poch still continues to play them together.

Basic mistakes going on over a year. It really is appalling management.

I do feel a bit for Winks because he has been left isolated for the majority of the time. Yet he gets dropped and the headless chicken Sissoko continues to play.

Just before the CL Final, someone sent me a link to an article/analysis about Winks's importance to our overall success last season. Him being in or out of the squad a bit. And it was nutz, made him look like the next guy on the sheet after Kane. Surprised me a bit, and I'm a huge fan of the kid.

He makes others around him better, a rare quality.

When healthy he really should be the first guy in the deeper CM roles.

Just before the CL Final, someone sent me a link to an article/analysis about Winks's importance to our overall success last season. Him being in or out of the squad a bit. And it was nutz, made him look like the next guy on the sheet after Kane. Surprised me a bit, and I'm a huge fan of the kid.

He makes others around him better, a rare quality.

When healthy he really should be the first guy in the deeper CM roles.

I am almost in the wishing game now - as he played so well when Victor was at his best, I'd love to see it again with Ndomble along side them as the one big weakness in his game that he addressed before he broke through, he's gone back to not doing again i.e. his forward runs beyond the oppositions midfield - if he could relearn that skill, he'd be a formidable player.

I am almost in the wishing game now - as he played so well when Victor was at his best, I'd love to see it again with Ndomble along side them as the one big weakness in his game that he addressed before he broke through, he's gone back to not doing again i.e. his forward runs beyond the oppositions midfield - if he could relearn that skill, he'd be a formidable player.

I always think those classy sitters like Winks either have to be able to carry the ball forward or pass long. Winks is doing the other stuff well but still becomes predictable for the opposition without these 2 attributes.

For Spurs, I'm hoping that Ndombele, LoCelso and a rejuvenated Dele bring the best out of Winks and we can look beyond Sissoko.

I always think those classy sitters like Winks either have to be able to carry the ball forward or pass long. Winks is doing the other stuff well but still becomes predictable for the opposition without these 2 attributes.

For Spurs, I'm hoping that Ndombele, LoCelso and a rejuvenated Dele bring the best out of Winks and we can look beyond Sissoko.

Looks great on paper that foursome. Very wishy washy for me though. We will concede goals galore without a natural DM. The stats are there to see. Without one we are very weak through the spine and we are once again Spursy.

A new DM is needed. Actually two are needed, one proven and one up and coming. That means one of the CMers will need to be dropped.

We do have to look beyond Sissoko. We have to look to the future in so many areas. Sissoko has only really plugged holes and papered over the cracks for us. He can still provide the cover for inevitable injuries.

Looks great on paper that foursome. Very wishy washy for me though. We will concede goals galore without a natural DM. The stats are there to see. Without one we are very weak through the spine and we are once again Spursy.

A new DM is needed. Actually two are needed, one proven and one up and coming. That means one of the CMers will need to be dropped.

Agree, we have to build it stronger and deeper next time around. Before we had that great eleven but not much midfield and forward depth behind it. We just flogged the 4 or 5 of them to death.

We do have to look beyond Sissoko. We have to look to the future in so many areas. Sissoko has only really plugged holes and papered over the cracks for us. He can still provide the cover for inevitable injuries.

And as the article says, Winks makes the players around him play better. For all of his fantastic efforts in our shirt, I could never say that about Sissoko. I think it's actually quite complicated playing with him.

And as the article says, Winks makes the players around him play better. For all of his fantastic efforts in our shirt, I could never say that about Sissoko. I think it's actually quite complicated playing with him.

We have a few good players without being star quality . We have some below that level like KPW and Skipp that may not make it with us. We should be aspiring to sign the upper echelon players

Our new signings aren't there yet and in a way its disappointing we signed them as they dont fulfill the top echelon category like Kane, Son and Eriksen do.Its an indicator of the clubs strategy and standing that we dont sign ready made stellar players.

Well we might find out something today. Winks has the luxury of Rice holding and will have pressure on him to play further forward with Ox.

In what way does Winks make the players around him play better? Genuine question. It's not something that has ever occurred to me when I watch him play.

This was a quality I felt Dembele had, one which was not captured by the stats and for which he was often underestimated.

In what way does Winks make the players around him play better? Genuine question. It's not something that has ever occurred to me when I watch him play.

This was a quality I felt Dembele had, one which was not captured by the stats and for which he was often underestimated.

He just does all of the simple things well. He is the reason that there will be 2 passes on and is always offering. Like Dembele, he'll also take it when marked in tight spaces but he does move it on quicker as he doesn't have the strength and dribbling skills of the Belgian. He just knits it all together.

.....and a great goal by Winks !!!

LOL! Just when I identify it as his one weakness - he goes and proves me wrong by scoring a terrific goal for England by doing exactly what I've been begging him to do!

Well we might find out something today. Winks has the luxury of Rice holding and will have pressure on him to play further forward with Ox.

We found out that when let loose, he can do exactly what I said he can do.

Typical!

We found out that when let loose, he can do exactly what I said he can do.

Typical!

He has it in his locker but that's not his role for Spurs. He is starting to show his form before his injury. He said he felt discomfort from it after coming back, implying he would have to play through it. Food for thought for Poch . Take the shackles off him , possibly by having Dier shielding.

Thought his first touch was actually a 'not so good touch' that fooled everyone around him, he used that to his advantage.... that said he actually took the goal well, shaping to put it one way before putting it the other - that surprised me about him and means IMO he does have goals in his locker....

He just does all of the simple things well. He is the reason that there will be 2 passes on and is always offering. Like Dembele, he'll also take it when marked in tight spaces but he does move it on quicker as he doesn't have the strength and dribbling skills of the Belgian. He just knits it all together.

.....and a great goal by Winks !!!
He may move it quicker than Dembele but to my eye it generally goes straight back to the defender. Dembele could shield the ball no matter how tightly marked and he had the ability to turn and beat his opponent and turn defence into attack. He always offered an out ball to our defenders when under pressure and they could pass to him without fear of it coming back.

Nonetheless a role slightly further forward seems to bring the best out of Winks. He's definitely not a defensive CM. It will be interesting to see how or if Poch can find a role that maximises his strengths.