Harry Winks - Player Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Harry Winks - Player Thread

Southgate has a tough team selection for the Croatia game. I'm guessing he'll want to continue with the trio of Kane, Sterling and Rashford and don't see him not starting with Hendo. That leaves 2 slots for Winks, Dier, Dele, Barkley and Lingard to fight over.

Really hope he doesn't start Henderson or Rashford . Neither of them are international class and keep proving it when they play lmho.
Lindgard ,Deli, Barclay and Winksy all deserve to play as they all link well together and give a lot of pace

Dele's too important to our attack to drop him deeper, though he's capable of playing there well.

Kane thrives on Dele's assists. Dele also times his runs into the box brilliantly and has a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

We can find a cm partner for Winks externally I'm sure.

As long as a player like Lucas is up with them then great. Otherwise I find our attacking trio way too slow.

I think Poch will want a new CM/DM brought in. He loves Alli further up the pitch.

Dele has great vision for weighted thru balls from MF. He would be playing the advanced MF role with Winks slightly behind. Dele can still arrive or advance into the box. Dele would also defend higher up the pitch , he is pretty good at pinching the ball or pressing.

Poch was obviously very pleased with Winksy at Fulham but said he needs to improve the attacking side of the game.

I think that's harsh. The kid has been playing with an ankle issue and is only just returning to his old self. Also he has been playing as a holding midfielder with defensive, distribution and tempo setting responsibilities.

To be able to get forward where he does have ability he needs back up like Dier.

Heat map suggested Harry was all over the pitch so not sure what Poch is thinking by thatcomment.
Poch is by nature a defensive possesion oriented coach....and we will not often see the fee flowing attacking football being displayed by Liverpud and dare I say it le arse (against Chelski).
So mixed messages for the lad from the manager I feel.
Not sure poch would want to see Winks galavanting into the box at every opportuntiy to the potential detriment of his midfield duties....confused.com

Heat map suggested Harry was all over the pitch so not sure what Poch is thinking by thatcomment.
Poch is by nature a defensive possesion oriented coach....and we will not often see the fee flowing attacking football being displayed by Liverpud and dare I say it le arse (against Chelski).
So mixed messages for the lad from the manager I feel.
Not sure poch would want to see Winks galavanting into the box at every opportuntiy to the potential detriment of his midfield duties....confused.com

Winks has it in his game to be 'another' Frank Lampard - but he needs a touch of arrogance, a bit more self-belief and even to some degree has to learn when to ignore team orders and do what he can 'see' - not what he's 'told'.

Poch needs go allow him to use that footballing intelligence more often.

Pochettino singled the academy graduate out for praise come the final whistle.

He said

“I feel so proud. That thing today, we were talking in the last few weeks that it is something he needs to improve, arrive in the opponent’s box and try to score more goals. That is his second goal in the Premier League. With his quality, how he plays, in possession he needs to add and improve those two different areas in his game: without the ball, be more aggressive. He’s doing that and I am so happy and of course trying to score more goals, because always a midfielder if you add goals, like Rakitic and Modric, you start to think that you are a top top player. Today was fantastic. I advise all people to watch the action and how it started. He recovered the ball in a very deep position, like a full-back and then how he ran with great determination to score. It was a fantastic example for the players.”

Well we do still lack an 'on-field' General / leader. Wonder if Winksie can develop into that like Lampard and Gerrard.

Just signed a new five year deal and said he has been at the club since he was five years old . Wow ! Just Wow ! Now that is total loyalty . When this current contract runs out he will have been with us for twenty three years .
Winksy you bleed blue and white . :bow:

Let's hope his injuries are well and truly behind him and this will be a season of progress; he gives us possession, now he has to give us more upfront, he must add goals to his game to be the player I know he's capable of becoming.

Well done Winksy.

Let's hope his injuries are well and truly behind him and this will be a season of progress; he gives us possession, now he has to give us more upfront, he must add goals to his game to be the player I know he's capable of becoming.

Well done Winksy.

Interesting. Not saying he hasn't got the talents to scheme further up the pitch and get involved in the assists and goals stats but I just have a feeling he'll be our "sitter" this coming season like Jorginho at Chelsea. He'll be deployed deeper to set the tempo and it will be Ndombele playing the box to box role, hopefully with other attack minded players like Lo Celso?, Ceballos?, Dele etc involved. The mind boggles, but if we're moving away from the Dier / Wanyama dependency of the last 5 years then I think Winks might become our deepest midfielder with license to go forward.

Chuffed to bits to see him sign a new contract.

Interesting. Not saying he hasn't got the talents to scheme further up the pitch and get involved in the assists and goals stats but I just have a feeling he'll be our "sitter" this coming season like Jorginho at Chelsea. He'll be deployed deeper to set the tempo and it will be Ndombele playing the box to box role, hopefully with other attack minded players like Lo Celso?, Ceballos?, Dele etc involved. The mind boggles, but if we're moving away from the Dier / Wanyama dependency of the last 5 years then I think Winks might become our deepest midfielder with license to go forward.

Chuffed to bits to see him sign a new contract.

He will be our fulcrum in many games; but I know he is being encouraged to break beyond the oppositions midfield and be that player that creates the extra option - now he has to almost show he has the belief to let one fly when the opportunity arises and that that responsibility - do that, and he'll be close to that complete 'hybrid' player Poch demands him to be.

Did anything ever happen with the article the OP was referring to?