Harry Winks - Player Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

Harry Winks - Player Thread

He will I'm sure eventually go the same way as Mason, Livermore, Bentaleb and Townsend before him. An OK average player, but average isn't good enough at a Club that wants to be better than average.

He's a decent squad player and could be used in the europa etc.

Lets see what happens with Skipp's development we obviously need to replace Sissoko as well

So what should we do with Winks? Can he play alongside Skipp?

It’s all very sad and strange if you go back to page one on this thread .
First name down on the England team sheet , the next Xavi , bursting forward , spraying passes , going passed the opposition .
Also , did the feature on him ever see the light of day , as perceived by the author of the thread …… KHjournalism3 ?
He is by far our longest serving player , think he has been with us twenty years

Last edited:
All that early potential is long gone. Given however his experience at both PL and international level I think that he'd be very good captain material for a promotion chasing Championship Club. I don't feel that he is PL quality any longer, and a move to some of the PL Clubs he's been linked with probably won't be a good move for him.

gutted for him but definitely time to move on for both club and his sake. Hopefully he'll find his spark again at another club in a settled position that suits him better... Often felt like a square peg in a round hole for us in the last few years and his form has dipped considerably. Still better than some make out but the tide has turned against him and it really goes back the other way at Spurs.

He is definitely better than some make out. If I had a choice, I'd love to see him go and play for Bielsa for the second half of this season. Get him playing on the front foot.

I think it'll take him a while to get that forward thinking back into his game, I don't see a loan this season being super productive as he's sort of been trained out of playing on the front foot. IMO the biggest issue for his development was him becoming the more defensive of the two in a double pivot with Sissoko, coz Sissoko could "carry the ball forwards" and Winks had more discipline. If he'd had a destroyer next to him and his job was to just collect the ball and pick clever passes he could have been a great player.

I think it'll take him a while to get that forward thinking back into his game, I don't see a loan this season being super productive as he's sort of been trained out of playing on the front foot. IMO the biggest issue for his development was him becoming the more defensive of the two in a double pivot with Sissoko, coz Sissoko could "carry the ball forwards" and Winks had more discipline. If he'd had a destroyer next to him and his job was to just collect the ball and pick clever passes he could have been a great player.

Yep, Wanyama was a massive loss to our system. He would often play ahead of Dembele or Winks and let them play their game.

That's also why I think Kalvin Phillips would be good for Harry.

If he's a better player than what we've seen, or is a better player than some believe him to be, rather than send him out on loan or sell him, how could Spurs set up to get the most of him?

If he's a better player than what we've seen, or is a better player than some believe him to be, rather than send him out on loan or sell him, how could Spurs set up to get the most of him?

Firstly, stop playing him on the left. Put him on the right of the centre mid so he is more natural in everything he does.

Winks optimal game would be in a fast pace, passing system with a lot of running off the ball. Dare I ask for a system at Spurs where everyone mucks in with the defensive contribution and a midfielder can go forward without fear of not having to overtake the others on his way back.

Take him back to finishing school and help to redefine the fundamental skills he needs to improve. What THFC is teaching him isn't working. Formations/setups make no difference, as Winks repeatedly shows if the basics are not up to scratch.