Harris: In or Out | Page 4 | Vital Football

Harris: In or Out

Harris: In or Out

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’ve nailed my colours to the ‘undecided’ mast.

There are a few unknowns for me (e.g mood/morale in the camp, timeframe for any takeover)

6 goals in 16 is an appalling record but all the same I think this is over egged. Getting thumped regularly (4-1) is harder to put right than regularly losing narrowly (1-0).

I do worry that Harris’ position will soon become untenable (if it isn’t already) based on the belief within the squad if we don’t find some form very soon. I’ve not yet read about him ‘losing the dressing room’ but that can only be a matter of time if results continue as they are.

Would a potential new owner be spooked by our league position and potential relegation? Almost certainly would come into their thinking.

On the basis we have investment lined up I’d keep him. We are not that far off being half decent. He’ll do much better with better players I feel and the style will also help us transition in be half decent in league one.

don’t forget under mad dog many were bemoaning the footballl even when we were top and he didn’t last 5 minutes in league 1.

But without investment Its looking increasingly that its beyond him and a mad dog type may be needed to save our status at least in the short term. I think we really need this sale to go through.

Looking at the poll we have 19 undecided and 11 Harris in.

Serious question to these that have voted in this way - what would change your mind to vote for NH out.
A defeat in the first round of the FA cup to Fylde?
A further 5 games of minimal attacking play and (if the quota continues) another 1, maybe 2 goals in those 5 games?
Actually dropping into the bottom 2?

All of which are a real possibility in the next few weeks,

Or would something else change your vote?

Alex Ferguson had calls for him to be sacked for 4 years, he seemed to do OK in the end...

Serious question to these that have voted in this way - what would change your mind to vote for NH out.
A further 5 games of minimal attacking play and (if the quota continues) another 1, maybe 2 goals in those 5 games?

I voted undecided as the best fit for my view. On results he should absolutely be gone. Can we afford to pay him off - probably not. Are we in uncertain times over change of ownership - yes.

He should go but now isnt the right time due to the off the field ownership situation. Once thats done he needs to go.

Undecided. As much as I want any Gillingham manager to succeed, I want Neil Harris to succeed on a personal level. I believe that he cares and that he wants success for the club as well as for his own professional benefit. It's been apparent for a while that we're not going to compete at the top end of the table this season, and I've been surprised by some of his selections and his tactics on more occasions than I'd like to have been, but the romantic in me wants a dedicated figurehead leading the team through what is undoubtedly a tumultuous period in our club's history.

His record makes for grim reading so far. However, I've not lost faith in him just yet.

I voted undecided as the best fit for my view. On results he should absolutely be gone. Can we afford to pay him off - probably not. Are we in uncertain times over change of ownership - yes.

He should go but now isnt the right time due to the off the field ownership situation. Once thats done he needs to go.

That sounds pretty decisive to me, Mark!

[
Apart from the salary PS takes each year, how does anybody make money out of a football club?

Unless you have mega tv money and sponsorships how do you make these pots of gold?

Even some of the premiership teams are millions in debt - how does that happen when they have such a vast income?

Why would anybody buy GFC UNLESS there IS a way of making some decent money?

PS100-200k is not exactly vast - is it?

You’ll upset a few people that believe that 200k is vast. But you are right.

Last edited:

I think Gillingham fans and Scally have historically been very patient with managers. I’m certain that any other club in our position would have sacked the manager after 10 games.

I think Gillingham fans and Scally have historically been very patient with managers. I’m certain that any other club in our position would have sacked the manager after 10 games.

NH has also been in the job less than a year.

A lot of fans saying “the other clubs at the bottom have sacked their manager”. Well, we already did it back in January. Say we sacked NH now and the next guy doesn’t improve us for the next 20 games. Do we sack him as well? And the next one…..

But the main reason I’m undecided or “in” is that we can’t afford to sack him with 2 years on a contract. We simply don’t have the money. I also believe (crazily maybe) that he will do very well for us with a budget if we do get new owners or investors. He definitely can’t do it without a budget.

Finally, the conspiracy theorist in me is clinging to the idea that NH originally took the job knowing that a takeover was already in the pipeline and with some kind of assurances. Otherwise I’ve no idea why with his previous record, he would take on a club that at the time looked dead and buried in L1 and was a toxic shambles off the field. And his first words being about a complete club rebuild, recruitment, and youth set up. And despite our obvious first team woes, we have indeed invested and recruited youth players, physios, coaches etc.

I was gobsmacked when he came here, I didn’t think it possible. Maybe he knew something.

If I’m not right, we are truly buggered.

Last edited:
I've gone with undecided. I've never been a fan of constantly chopping and changing managers. Harris came here supposedly with a long-term plan to improve things at the club, and he hasn't even had a year yet. That said, it's true that the stats in terms of goals scored are absolutely shocking, and from what I read on here (as I've not got ifollow this year), it sounds like there are no signs of things improving.

Also would be concerned that the compensation required to sack him now would leave absolutely no room for manoeuvre in the next transfer window.

Edit: or to put it another way, pretty much exactly what OSK says, he beat me to it!

NH has also been in the job less than a year.

A lot of fans saying “the other clubs at the bottom have sacked their manager”. Well, we already did it back in January. Say we sacked NH now and the next guy doesn’t improve us for the next 20 games. Do we sack him as well? And the next one…..

But the main reason I’m undecided or “in” is that we can’t afford to sack him with 2 years on a contract. We simply don’t have the money. I also believe (crazily maybe) that he will do very well for us with a budget if we do get new owners or investors.

Finally, the conspiracy theorist in me is clinging to the idea that NH originally took the job knowing that a takeover was already in the pipeline and with some kind of assurances. Otherwise I’ve no idea why with his previous record, he would take on a team that at the time looked dead and buried in L1. I was gobsmacked when he came here, I didn’t think it possible. Maybe…..

NH has been in charge for 39 games with a win percentage of 23%. That is poor. Only one goal from open play in our last 16. 6 goals scored in 15 games doesn't point to a bright future. That's almost a whole season. A managers averagr tenure is less than two years for this division so he almost half way through an average tenure already, with a poor win ration. Pennocks was 18% for context.

As for not being able to afford to sack him is probably the only reason currently for keeping him IMO

As for if he gets a better budget and can get better players he'd be a better manager, I don't buy that, he's proved that he can't get the best out of the players he's recruited now, why would he get the best out of better players, or are you suggesting better players would individually cover up his failings as a manager by being better indidually. As Trashy says, I'm not convinced given a better budget NH recruitment would get the right players in if given more money

I've not seen anything that suggests we'd have a better game plan, play with urgency, tempo, pace and in general a better game plan purely with better players. Its the set up and strategy that is currently worryingly wrong and not getting the best out of what we have.

I’ve nailed my colours to the ‘undecided’ mast.

There are a few unknowns for me (e.g mood/morale in the camp, timeframe for any takeover)

6 goals in 16 is an appalling record but all the same I think this is over egged. Getting thumped regularly (4-1) is harder to put right than regularly losing narrowly (1-0).

I do worry that Harris’ position will soon become untenable (if it isn’t already) based on the belief within the squad if we don’t find some form very soon. I’ve not yet read about him ‘losing the dressing room’ but that can only be a matter of time if results continue as they are.

Would a potential new owner be spooked by our league position and potential relegation? Almost certainly would come into their thinking.
That’s fine he has tightened up defence,but second we concede game is over,because we just can’t score goals.

But that was the exact mistake we made with the previous regime.

Indeed. As much as I liked BFSE, Scally’s mistake was not replacing him sooner. It felt like he’d had enough of treading water and had given up. Easier said with hindsight, but perhaps we’d still be in L1 now if Scally acted sooner.

But that was the exact mistake we made with the previous regime.

Fair comment. Although at that time we had no reason to believe a takeover was potentially on the horizon.

If that fizzles out then replace him.

New owner may want to do that and give the new manager some money for January.

These are all fair reasons to keep NH.

Yet, one of the main criticisms of the last regime was “he can’t do it without a budget”. The very thing that some are now saying about Harris. In fact, someone posted yesterday that NH post match interview suggested that new players are needed and that won’t be before January. Can we really wait that long?! Would anybody really trust him and Shorey with any decent amount of cash?!

I was a SE in-er right until he was sacked, foolishly thinking things would come good, but we left it far, far too late to get rid in the end. I am concerned that leaving it too late will have the same consequence this year too.

Regarding the performances, we can’t even say that one week the midfield don’t turn up, or the defence have a mare for a couple of games, or the keeper drops a clanger, or injuries or suspensions, bad luck, crap refereeing, or whatever. It is the same thing, week after week, game after game. The slow pedestrian build up, the lack of chances created, coupled with the inevitable goal conceded, and whimper to the final whistle.

It’s all just so Groundhog Day and NH seems incapable of changing it.

How do you motivate players who appear not to be interested,
Creating an effective team spirit is a two way street members of the group have to buy into idea of being a unit for the leader to succeed. To watch NH doing his nut on the touchline speaks volumes for the lack of effort on the pitch. These are professional players not giving a damn.
I can't see how you can say the players don't give a damn. Kashket, McDonald, O'Keefe etc are all busting a gut for the team. Mandron's the only one who looks like he can't be bothered. And that's the key, our main striker is really poor, swap him for an Asaba, Akinbiyi, Superbob type and we'd be winning a lot more. Don't forget we were the better side for long periods against the 2 top teams, Orient and Stevenage so we do play some good football.....sometimes

I can't see how you can say the players don't give a damn. Kashket, McDonald, O'Keefe etc are all busting a gut for the team. Mandron's the only one who looks like he can't be bothered. And that's the key, our main striker is really poor, swap him for an Asaba, Akinbiyi, Superbob type and we'd be winning a lot more. Don't forget we were the better side for long periods against the 2 top teams, Orient and Stevenage so we do play some good football.....sometimes

Your not wrong but I am struggling to think of any clear cut chances created by our midfield in the last few games.
To say our strikers are feeding off scraps is an understatement they get absolutely zero service.

Accept that and yes we did play ok against those 2 teams,but a game of football is 90 minutes plus and that is something we just don’t understand,