Harris: In or Out | Page 3 | Vital Football

Harris: In or Out

Harris: In or Out

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Surely, the club can borrow some money? I personally could go out and get a loan (and I do okay but am hardly Rockerfellar), which could probably pay for a decent manager for 6 months or a management team for 3 months (and I'm not proposing I do that, by the way!) Surely, when times are dire and staying in the league is at stake, the club could get a loan to pay for a manager (supported by a business case for so doing).
I recall an interview with Evans last year where he said Scally refuses to take any debt on, Evans was constantly demanding the budget be increased but Scally stood firm so as not to risk the future of the club (and therefore his own income).

Lucky you, I’ve been watching this crap / following this crap across the country since 1955. I really think it’s all over for me and I’m trying to be so positive. I’ll see how I feel on Wednesday before I decide to give up and take to the armchair. Sad times for all.
I share your pain. I'm the same vintage . Many times over the years I've told myself I don't care and that I don't need this misery in my life but somehow I never quite manage to stop caring. Its totally ridiculous, its just football but I guess you are stuck with the team you grew up with.

I share your pain. I'm the same vintage . Many times over the years I've told myself I don't care and that I don't need this misery in my life but somehow I never quite manage to stop caring. Its totally ridiculous, its just football but I guess you are stuck with the team you grew up with.

Too true

If you’re an investor, why would you put money into a club that’s at the bottom of the football league? It’s a risky move. If they exist I hope they aren’t tempted to sit on their cash until we are more stable.

that couple with it costing a fair few quid to sack the leadership team and hire a new manager

A very firm OUT for me.

Yes, he has had to build a whole new squad with a pittance. But there is still some quality in that squad, at L2 level certainly. Players like McKenzie, Williams, O'Keefe, Adelakun etc. Yet our best player has been a middle aged keeper on loan from an equally pants club.

It is his squad now, his tactics, his rules.

As a former striker, and a record goalscorer for Millwall, he should be sacked on the basis that Gillingham cannot score in a brothel. This fact is now becoming very embarrassing. What is he doing with them on the training pitch?!

Just look at the stats; Jesus Wept. Fucking embarrassing shambles of a team. Wretched.

He should have gone after the 10 games.

But we are not asking for promotion or free flowing football.

just the basics from any coach. Organisation and effort.
2 posts that sum up how I feel.

After 10 games I posted Harris in, just. But I felt improvement had to be made, just more organisation and a shot or two on goal in 90 minutes of football. We did show some improvement in the next couple of games but appear to have slipped back to woefully inept.

Today was the first game I’ve not seen this season but judging by early reports it was the same old mundane, pedestrian shit.

I am afraid it is just not good enough, people may say the quality isn’t there, but fuck me these are professional footballers, if they can’t muster a shot on target in 90 minutes for the umpteenth time then a change has to be made. And that change is the management team.

As Jerry says, we’re not expecting promotion, just a competent setup, tactics and 90 minutes where we actually look like troubling the keeper. I truly don’t know what the fuck the strikers do in training, probably washing the managements cars judging by what is served up on match days.

Harris out for me now.

I am afraid it is just not good enough, people may say the quality isn’t there, but fuck me these are professional footballers, if they can’t muster a shot on target in 90 minutes for the umpteenth time then a change has to be made. And that change is the management team.
As Jerry says, we’re not expecting promotion, just a competent setup, tactics and 90 minutes where we actually look like troubling the keeper. I truly don’t know what the fuck the strikers do in training, probably washing the managements cars judging by what is served up on match days.
Harris out for me now.

Fair enough, if the new manager can get rid of Harris's players and (eventually) those Evans signed on longer contracts, but otherwise I think the team is "set up" as well as it could be from an organisational point of view (Northampton who are third have conceded two more goals) and I am not sure what wrong tactics are being used.

It is so easy to think the only option is "change in the management team" but the replacement may be less organised so only result in us conceding more goals.

A pundit (possibly Agbonlahor) on Talksport was talking about Aston Villa today, further to Gerrard's sacking, and asked rhetorically why the players are never blamed. Things improving for them though with a 4-0 drubbing at Newcastle today. What were their tactics? The likes of Paisley and Clough always said it is a simple game, all about the quality of the players.

Last edited:
Fair enough, if the new manager can get rid of Harris's players and (eventually) those Evans signed on longer contracts, but otherwise I think the team is "set up" as well as it could be from an organisational point of view and I am not sure what wrong tactics are being used.

It is so easy to think the only option is "change in the management team" but the replacement may be less organised so only result in us conceding more goals.

A pundit (possibly Agbonlahor) on Talksport was talking about Aston Villa today, further to Gerrard's sacking, and asked rhetorically why the players are never blamed. Things improving for them, though with a 4-0 drubbing at Newcastle today.
But since the start of the season the issue has been scoring goals. In fact, strike that, just creating some chances would be a start. Yet NH (as a prolific lower league striker) doesn’t seem to know how to fix it.

I’ve said time and again, these players may not be best we’ve seen in ME7, they may not even be NH’s preferred targets, but they are still professional footballers and if Harris can’t coach them and set them up to muster a shot on target in 90 minutes, then it’s time someone else was given the chance to.

I’d wager LSB, Nibbles and MarkinKent would at least test the opposition keeper given a couple of training sessions together and 90 minutes.

...they are still professional footballers and if Harris can’t coach them and set them up to muster a shot on target in 90 minutes, then it’s time someone else was given the chance to.

And not as a one off or even an occasional issue, virtually every single one of his 34 matches. And to say the previous management regime weren't up to it...wow, have a look at yourself mate.

Surely, the club can borrow some money? I personally could go out and get a loan (and I do okay but am hardly Rockerfellar), which could probably pay for a decent manager for 6 months or a management team for 3 months (and I'm not proposing I do that, by the way!) Surely, when times are dire and staying in the league is at stake, the club could get a loan to pay for a manager (supported by a business case for so doing).

Current owner has disengaged and on a sabbatical. Why would he even consider borrowing money. He'll leave that to the new owners

I read a series of tweets yesterday where the budget from last season and this season was researched. The conclusion was last season the playing budget was around £2.2m, this season it is around £1.1m so it’s been halved.
The 7 players from last season Harris didn’t want are still here, taking up a chunk of it, and those he signed in the summer make up the rest, I feel his hands have been tied.
Harris said last week after Orient match that he couldn’t sign the players he wanted in the summer. Funnily enough that part of the interview was edited out of the iFollow video on the OS.

Thats really interesting, could you share the source or link?

If thats accurate then honestly I can blame Harris, thats an awful playing budget and it cant be the original sales pitch

Thats really interesting, could you share the source or link?

If thats accurate then honestly I can blame Harris, thats an awful playing budget and it cant be the original sales pitch

Lark posted it in the “disappointed in Harris” thread. A couple of websites about playing budgets. But to me they both sound way off the mark. Not doubting our budget this year is lower tho.

Current owner has disengaged and on a sabbatical. Why would he even consider borrowing money. He'll leave that to the new owners

We still don’t know for sure whether the club is being sold and, if it is, when it will be sold. If PS is looking to sell and the club is as hard-up as made out. Maybe borrowing a small amount of money (which would be against the club not his own money) to get a new management team makes financial sense. Selling a club who’s 15th next year rather than rock bottom may fetch considerably more money than someone rock bottom looking at the NL.

A small and unwelcome voice is getting louder inside my head. Perhaps whispers of it will be better soon and rumours of a rich American about to take over are just the BS of old about a new stadium, new investment etc. Perhaps we really are just in the shit. Other more positive voices are available.

Apart from the salary PS takes each year, how does anybody make money out of a football club?

Unless you have mega tv money and sponsorships how do you make these pots of gold?

Even some of the premiership teams are millions in debt - how does that happen when they have such a vast income?

Why would anybody buy GFC UNLESS there IS a way of making some decent money?

PS100-200k is not exactly vast - is it?

We still don’t know for sure whether the club is being sold and, if it is, when it will be sold. If PS is looking to sell and the club is as hard-up as made out. Maybe borrowing a small amount of money (which would be against the club not his own money) to get a new management team makes financial sense. Selling a club who’s 15th next year rather than rock bottom may fetch considerably more money than someone rock bottom looking at the NL.

I cant imagine the clubs credit rating is great given financial events over the years. Finding someone to lend the money might be tough.

You are correct that we dont actually know that there will be a take over. Everything seems to be on that though. Seems unlikely scally will be back ready to charter a new course for the good ship gillingham fc.

Looking at the poll we have 19 undecided and 11 Harris in.

Serious question to these that have voted in this way - what would change your mind to vote for NH out.
A defeat in the first round of the FA cup to Fylde?
A further 5 games of minimal attacking play and (if the quota continues) another 1, maybe 2 goals in those 5 games?
Actually dropping into the bottom 2?

All of which are a real possibility in the next few weeks,

Or would something else change your vote?