Harris: In or Out | Page 7 | Vital Football

Harris: In or Out

Harris: In or Out

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Finding it difficult to defend him as our manager but fail to see how you can say he was an average forward. He's Millwalls all time top scorer.

Agreed, I think we would get the hump if a Millwall fan described Hess or Bob Taylor as average. - We know they wouldnot describe Cas as average!!!

For my tuppence worth, I think that our current situation is totally on the management team but I also don’t think it’s time to change it.
With the odd exception, we’ve been in most games and it’s purely lack of cutting edge up front that has caused our demise.
That’s the conundrum !

I can’t buy into all these conspiracy theories about the budget.
Our players budget will be pretty good for this level.
It won’t be as much as Harris wants but I’d think that it by no means not competitive.

Basically, Harris has caused this situation and it’s up to him to sort it out.
If we are still in a similar position come Christmas, his position will become totally untenable.
There is no way he can survive.
I just hope that the chairman calls it early enough to give his successor a fighting chance.

For my tuppence worth, I think that our current situation is totally on the management team but I also don’t think it’s time to change it.
With the odd exception, we’ve been in most games and it’s purely lack of cutting edge up front that has caused our demise.
That’s the conundrum !

I can’t buy into all these conspiracy theories about the budget.
Our players budget will be pretty good for this level.
It won’t be as much as Harris wants but I’d think that it by no means not competitive.

Basically, Harris has caused this situation and it’s up to him to sort it out.
If we are still in a similar position come Christmas, his position will become totally untenable.
There is no way he can survive.
I just hope that the chairman calls it early enough to give his successor a fighting chance.

I agree with most of this, although I voted “out” because I think he deserves to be sacked for the job he’s done this season. However, I wouldn’t necessarily pull the plug now. What I want to see (which we of course won’t!) is Fisher and Scally (?) behind the scenes making preparations to sack NH and looking for a decent replacement. Part of my thinks that a caretaker like say SL can’t do any worse than Harris is doing - at least he may instil a bit of short term passion - but I don’t want to see that again really. The main thing for me is that if NH is sacked, the new manager will desperately need the transfer window to work with. TBF, NH wasn’t afforded this privilege (the cynic in me suspects deliberately) and he almost pulled it off; we can’t afford a repeat of hanging on to a failing manager, like we did with SE, and not giving the new man a fair crack.

Most of the votes are counted. Broadly:
  • only 20% want NH to remain
  • 40% out
What is most astonishing is that of the 40% that are undecided, the general sentiment is concern that we can’t afford to pay him off, the timing isn’t right with rumours of a takeover or that there are (allegedly) no suitable candidates to replace him.

And all this from what is a pretty moderate forum.

I'd love to see this poll reframed as "if you were Chairman of the club... would you keep Harris?"

It's too easy for frustrated fans who want to see their team win just pump a button to say they want him gone. The realities are far broader.

I'd love to see this poll reframed as "if you were Chairman of the club... would you keep Harris?"

It's too easy for frustrated fans who want to see their team win just pump a button to say they want him gone. The realities are far broader.

I’d be very surprised if Fisher hasn’t already raised concerns about underperformance directly with Harris.

I’d be very surprised if Fisher hasn’t already raised concerns about underperformance directly with Harris.

I'm sure he has.

But likewise, I doubt Harris needs any reminder. He's been in the fabric of this game far longer than Fisher.

But my point is, there's more than just a whimsical poll to consider. Termination of contracts, payments, recruitment, new culture, new staff, new expectations.

When we bang "Yeaaaah, sack him!" it's vastly more nuanced as a Chairman of a football club.