Harris: In or Out | Vital Football

Harris: In or Out

Harris: In or Out

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trashbat

Vital 1st Team Regular
It’s a month since the last poll which was 72:28 in favour of ‘In’. Our form has continued to be poor and there’s been no noticeable improvement. One goal scored in open play from 16 matches; and the next worst scoring team in the league has scored twice as many goals as us; and we’re a point off the relegation spots.

So the question is simple. In or Out.

Last edited:
Still just about in, but only because we probably have no options imo. Wouldn't object if he got the tin tack though.

So f###ing boring.

Been a nerd and looked up the worst first 16 games in my decades of following.
1969/70 slightly worse.
1988/9 clearly worse (somehow).

However, in both seasons we'd scored at least twice as many goals. In 69/70 we promptly went on to win more than we lost. Both seasons were in a higher division.

So on that basis, this is the worst start I've witnessed.

Oh f### it, Harris out. Mainly cos it's so tedious.

Beginning to wonder what goes on in the training ground week after week,sod all it seems.
Cant take much more now and that’s following since 74

Really sad to say that I've had to vote "out". He did well last season and regardless of our budget (which I suspect isn't as bad as he makes out - I'm sure it's not near the top four, but am equally sure it's not near the bottom four either). He's pretty much got his team/squad and has assembled a poor one. We are defensively generally sounds, but have little idea going forward and most games are playing for a 0-0. Some games, like today, we'll play an equally poor side, have one slip up/bit of bad luck and concede and that's game over. The only way we pick up points are from 0-0s, the odd 1-1 and a couple of wins where we've kept it tight and sneaked one against awful teams. This is not what we're about and what we should be happy with.

I can't stress what a poor division this is and, even with our budget, we should be looking at the playoffs. We've played 16 games now and I've not been impressed with one opponent, bar Harrogate, who impressed me by over-achieving on the day and clearly getting the best out of their limited resources (far more limited than us). We've seen 5 of the top 7 now - the O's are walking it and were very very average. We matched them, but they just had two bits of quality finishing, couple with our slack defending and two shots on target and a 2-0 win for them in a match where there was little between the team (fair play to them, they are smashing it with an average team and pretty average players). Stevenage were also poor and played the terrible brand of football you'd expect from Evans. Swindon played dull passing sideways football and rarely threatened us for over 80s minutes against 10 men, Barrow and Carlisle are awful (and I'd be surprised if they had better resources than us) and are in 4th and 7th respectively. Today's opponents Donny are just two points off of the playoffs and are absolute gash. Created no more than us today and, as ever with us, one bit of slack defending, one bit of bad luck and it's game over.

This is an awful division and we are fourth from bottom and just two points above the bottom. Hess was sacked for not making the playoffs in this division and, whilst he may have had a bit more at his disposal than Harris, the division was nowhere near as bad as this.

Previously, I was very much of the view that however bad Harris was, we couldn't do better, but now, sorry, we can - even a caretaker like SL or Hess, probably clueless, would at least get a bit more passion in the team - at the very least, at least bloody kick someone when things aren't going well!

I read a series of tweets yesterday where the budget from last season and this season was researched. The conclusion was last season the playing budget was around £2.2m, this season it is around £1.1m so it’s been halved.
The 7 players from last season Harris didn’t want are still here, taking up a chunk of it, and those he signed in the summer make up the rest, I feel his hands have been tied.
Harris said last week after Orient match that he couldn’t sign the players he wanted in the summer. Funnily enough that part of the interview was edited out of the iFollow video on the OS.

He's had long enough to prove he's not got the answers but he's not the cause either.

Players are simply not good enough. Harris said we didnt get the players he wanted last summer. We cant afford those type of players.

The only way forward is for the takeover to happen and hopefully an engaged owner with money to invest if not we will bumble along hoping to scrape enough points to stay up.

Awful.

Undecided until a reasonable replacement is suggested. If one is found, Harris can go, but not until then. I don't want us hanging about being completely managerless (Harris has to be better than nothing, but only just). Would still love to see him turn it around (but it looks unlikely).

Last edited:
Even with crap players it is down to the coach to organise them and instill team spirit as a minumum with a bit of a fight.

at least put max up front until the next window.

I read a series of tweets yesterday where the budget from last season and this season was researched. The conclusion was last season the playing budget was around £2.2m, this season it is around £1.1m so it’s been halved.
The 7 players from last season Harris didn’t want are still here, taking up a chunk of it, and those he signed in the summer make up the rest, I feel his hands have been tied.
Harris said last week after Orient match that he couldn’t sign the players he wanted in the summer. Funnily enough that part of the interview was edited out of the iFollow video on the OS.
Whatever the budget is, it’s a budget he agreed to. This is down to him.

Whatever the budget is, it’s a budget he agreed to. This is down to him.
What is he supposed to do though, quit because it isn’t as high as he would want and be unemployed again like he was before he joined us?
I suspect he knew about the rumoured takeover before he agreed to become the manager, so we are making do until that happens.

I'm not sure that bumbling along hoping to avoid the drop is even an option. There may be some awful teams at the bottom but they all score more than we do and compete better. If it's to be failing and falling I'd rather see a few more consolation goals. It's dreadful to watch no score Gillingham and it's becoming increasingly embarrassing. I think any of the old boys would squeeze more goals out of this lot but am not suggesting that.

What is he supposed to do though, quit because it isn’t as high as he would want and be unemployed again like he was before he joined us?
I suspect he knew about the rumoured takeover before he agreed to become the manager, so we are making do until that happens.
I suspect you’re right. To be honestt, I’m not sure what the alternative is at the moment, but this cannot continue.

I suspect you’re right. To be honestt, I’m not sure what the alternative is at the moment, but this cannot continue.
Well there is that too- lack of alternative, if he was sacked it might be a case of getting someone in willing to work for free as I doubt there’s the money for a new manager now. It would be a Peter a Taylor / Hess type appointment, can’t see Lovell returning after what happened last time.
I think Harris will stay and we have to hope of more funds available in January to sign a few players.