Harris Announced as the New Man | Page 5 | Vital Football

Harris Announced as the New Man

Welcome Neil Harris. He`s been there and done it and is a higher calibre manager than I thought we`d end up acquiring. Don`t think that many are expecting miracles from him during the next few months. Hopefully, we can all be patient and support Neil Harris and his team in their quest to make the best of what`s left this season and prepare us for better times come next August - when the direction of travel shifts from south to north.

Exactly. Whilst I’d love for us to have a nice run of form over the next month to give us a sniff and hope of staying up, realistically it is one heck of a big challenge and pretty unlikely.

But in his interview, Neil made mention of the bigger picture and brining on youth regularly as a real need for a club like us.

It would be great if over the next few months, one or 2 of the youngsters that have been blooded are given a good run and the chance to improve. And our youth set up being given a good impetus and direction from the “head coach” (to use an Americanism).

Exactly. Whilst I’d love for us to have a nice run of form over the next month to give us a sniff and hope of staying up, realistically it is one heck of a big challenge and pretty unlikely.

But in his interview, Neil made mention of the bigger picture and brining on youth regularly as a real need for a club like us.

It would be great if over the next few months, one or 2 of the youngsters that have been blooded are given a good run and the chance to improve. And our youth set up being given a good impetus and direction from the “head coach” (to use an Americanism).

Personally, I'd like to see us give it a right good do in February as we could have that new manager bounce and there are some winnable games (more so than the following months anyway). If it's clear after that, that we are nowhere near safety, let's start looking to next season and, as you say, start blooding youngsters and seeing which players want a contract next season.

Harris saying all the right things, having a plan and building the club over time is absolutely spot on. I think it was mozzer who was mates with the ex Chatham boss and he mentioned what he did there in terms of a plan from youth to first team. My mates Lad was involved and he mentioned how it was overhauled so everyone throughout the club was aligned to the same vision. Thats exactly what we need .

Do we have the resources to deliver that plan ? Just the other day the ex physio tweeted that he couldn't even get the medical supplies he needed.

Sounds like Scally has sold him the plan (bit like Steve Evans was here for a project) but let's hope scally can provide the resources to implement that plan.

As always time will tell And some will have more faith in scally to deliver than others.

Either way that journey starts tonight , hopefully with a win.

All sounds well and good but SE said similar to NH at the fans forum when he came in.

As MiK says its about whether he's given the proper resources to deliver what he says. One things for sure he's got his work cut out for the remainder of this season.

As for "the future" let's worry about that in the summer. We've heard all the bluff about building something too many times in the past. The football and what goes on on it will be reflected by what goes on off it.

Let's hope we can start with 3 points tonight.

Last edited:
All sounds well and good but SE said similar to NH at the fans forum when he came in.

As MiK says its about whether he's given the proper resources to deliver what he says. One things for sure he's got his work cut out for the remainder of this season.

As for "the future" let's worry about that in the summer. We've heard all the bluff about building something too many times in the past. The football and what goes on on it will be reflected by what goes on off it.

This ship can sail anywhere.:wave:

The difference being I'm more likely to believe Harris than bullshit artist Evans.
Scally has to finance it all somehow.

Very pleased with the appointment - slightly surprised we got him to be honest, too.

I'm not judging the rest of this season - if we stave off relegation, I'd be thrilled but he has his hands tied. It's not his squad, we only had 3 wins in 28 league games prior to Crewe - we are what we are.

Summer 2022 will be much more telling for me - if we go down, I 'm looking forward to seeing his efforts to address the long term future of the club. Young, hungry players - no re-treads - who will become saleable assets. We can't put a bandaid on every time - back Harris to build it right.

Summer 2022 will be much more telling for me - if we go down, I 'm looking forward to seeing his efforts to address the long term future of the club. Young, hungry players - no re-treads - who will become saleable assets. We can't put a bandaid on every time - back Harris to build it right.
Agreed, we'll find out then whether he will still be at the club, and whether it is really a 2 and a 1/2 year deal

Anyone else been listening to Darragh McAnthony’s podcast that I spoke about? The latest one has a small section talking about the many recent managerial changes in the EPL and EFL. My ears pricked up when they talked about Neil Harris to Gills.

Darragh said something like “Fair play to Paul Scally. I’ve not always seen eye to eye with him and criticise him a lot, but fair “effing” play landing Harris. That is a fantastic appointment. Especially with the lack of funds and spending at Gillingham. Maybe he’s got new partners I don’t know”.

Sounds to me like DMA realises a manager such as Neil Harris and his record and ability, wouldn’t dream of coming down to L1/L2 without some significant funding to get back up.

I wonder…..🤔

The "open letter can't be far away, I wonder if there'll be something in that to explain? I'm really hoping there's some good news rather than harping (no pun intended) back on past disagreements.

The "open letter can't be far away, I wonder if there'll be something in that to explain? I'm really hoping there's some good news rather than harping (no pun intended) back on past disagreements.
Agree Nobby
Only positive vibes from Scally

Anyone else been listening to Darragh McAnthony’s podcast that I spoke about? The latest one has a small section talking about the many recent managerial changes in the EPL and EFL. My ears pricked up when they talked about Neil Harris to Gills.

Darragh said something like “Fair play to Paul Scally. I’ve not always seen eye to eye with him and criticise him a lot, but fair “effing” play landing Harris. That is a fantastic appointment. Especially with the lack of funds and spending at Gillingham. Maybe he’s got new partners I don’t know”.

Sounds to me like DMA realises a manager such as Neil Harris and his record and ability, wouldn’t dream of coming down to L1/L2 without some significant funding to get back up.

I wonder…..🤔

Yes, fair play to Scally for working this one and getting Harris in. I think we've also been lucky that after sacking SE, no other jobs at all came up for prospective managers at our level and higher, so it was a good time to appoint someone; that, Scally's work and Harris being fairly local probably all combined a treat. I wonder if Harris would have been interested, were there top half League One/botton half Champ jobs available? Sunderland sacked their manager pretty much just as we appointed NH. I did even see on Twitter some Sunderland fans saying that it was a shame Harris went to us and they could have moved before he was appointed over that weekend.

Seems like, for once, everything fell into place and worked out for us!

I was wondering about this letter perhaps Scally is waiting for something that he was expecting this week. Definitely think Harris had some information that helped get him to sign for us.

I'd guess that his appointment was due to all of the above. I obviously know nothing of his financial position so don't know if he desperately needs to get back into work but the fact that talks between him and PS appear now to have gone on for some time suggest that maybe PS has sold him the dream but NH has bartered for certain reassurances that plans/funds will be in place to facilitate that dream.
I know that's asking a lot but my optimistic mind is hoping that's how it went.
Would be good to have some real positivity about the place after recent times.

I was wondering about this letter perhaps Scally is waiting for something that he was expecting this week. Definitely think Harris had some information that helped get him to sign for us.

He was reportedly expecting a delivery of some more bic pens ( other types of pens are available).