Great FAT Loss Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Great FAT Loss Thread

I explained to someone that their diet was too high in sugar, and causing an Insulin reaction which leads to an energy crash and craving more sugar, the response was, well sugar is not that bad really, is it?

In addition to throwing off the body's homeostasis, excess sugar may result in a number of other significant consequences. The following is a listing of some of sugar's metabolic consequences from a variety of medical journals and other scientific publications.
1. Sugar can suppress your immune system and impair your defenses against infectious disease.
2. Sugar upsets the mineral relationships in your body: causes chromium and copper deficiencies and interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
3. Sugar can cause can cause a rapid rise of adrenaline, hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children.
4. Sugar can produce a significant rise in total cholesterol, triglycerides and bad cholesterol and a decrease in good cholesterol.
5. Sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function.
6. Sugar feeds cancer cells and has been connected with the development of cancer of the breast, ovaries, prostate, rectum, pancreas, biliary tract, lung, gallbladder and stomach.
7. Sugar can increase fasting levels of glucose and can cause reactive hypoglycemia.
8. Sugar can weaken eyesight.
9. Sugar can cause many problems with the gastrointestinal tract including: an acidic digestive tract, indigestion, malabsorption in patients with functional bowel disease, increased risk of Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis.
10. Sugar can cause premature aging.
11. Sugar can lead to alcoholism.
12. Sugar can cause your saliva to become acidic, tooth decay, and periodontal disease.
13. Sugar contributes to obesity.
14. Sugar can cause autoimmune diseases such as: arthritis, asthma, multiple sclerosis.
15. Sugar greatly assists the uncontrolled growth of Candida Albicans (yeast infections)
16. Sugar can cause gallstones.
17. Sugar can cause appendicitis.
18. Sugar can cause hemorrhoids.
19. Sugar can cause varicose veins.
20. Sugar can elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral contraceptive users.
21. Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
22. Sugar can cause a decrease in your insulin sensitivity thereby causing an abnormally high insulin levels and eventually diabetes.
23. Sugar can lower your Vitamin E levels.
24. Sugar can increase your systolic blood pressure.
25. Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.
26. High sugar intake increases advanced glycation end products (AGEs)(Sugar molecules attaching to and thereby damaging proteins in the body).
27. Sugar can interfere with your absorption of protein.
28. Sugar causes food allergies.
29. Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
30. Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.
31. Sugar can cause atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease.
32. Sugar can impair the structure of your DNA.
33. Sugar can change the structure of protein and cause a permanent alteration of the way the proteins act in your body.
34. Sugar can make your skin age by changing the structure of collagen.
35. Sugar can cause cataracts and nearsightedness.
36. Sugar can cause emphysema.
37. High sugar intake can impair the physiological homeostasis of many systems in your body.
38. Sugar lowers the ability of enzymes to function.
39. Sugar intake is higher in people with Parkinson's disease.
40. Sugar can increase the size of your liver by making your liver cells divide and it can increase the amount of liver fat.
41. Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney such as the formation of kidney stones.
42. Sugar can damage your pancreas.
43. Sugar can increase your body's fluid retention.
44. Sugar is enemy #1 of your bowel movement.
45. Sugar can compromise the lining of your capillaries.
46. Sugar can make your tendons more brittle.
47. Sugar can cause headaches, including migraines.
48. Sugar can reduce the learning capacity, adversely affect school children's grades and cause learning disorders.
49. Sugar can cause an increase in delta, alpha, and theta brain waves which can alter your mind's ability to think clearly.
50. Sugar can cause depression.
51. Sugar can increase your risk of gout.
52. Sugar can increase your risk of Alzheimer's disease
53. Sugar can cause hormonal imbalances such as: increasing estrogen in men, exacerbating PMS, and decreasing growth hormone.
54. Sugar can lead to dizziness.
55. Diets high in sugar will increase free radicals and oxidative stress.
56. High sucrose diets of subjects with peripheral vascular disease significantly increases platelet adhesion.
57. High sugar consumption of pregnant adolescents can lead to substantial decrease in gestation duration and is associated with a twofold increased risk for delivering a small-for-gestational-age (SGA) infant.
58. Sugar is an addictive substance.
59. Sugar can be intoxicating, similar to alcohol.
60. Sugar given to premature babies can affect the amount of carbon dioxide they produce.
61. Decrease in sugar intake can increase emotional stability.
62. Your body changes sugar into 2 to 5 times more fat in the bloodstream than it does starch.
63. The rapid absorption of sugar promotes excessive food intake in obese subjects.
64. Sugar can worsen the symptoms of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
65. Sugar adversely affects urinary electrolyte composition.
66. Sugar can slow down the ability of your adrenal glands to function.
67. Sugar has the potential of inducing abnormal metabolic processes in a normal healthy individual and to promote chronic degenerative diseases.
68. I.V.s (intravenous feedings) of sugar water can cut off oxygen to your brain.
69. Sugar increases your risk of polio.
70. High sugar intake can cause epileptic seizures.
71. Sugar causes high blood pressure in obese people.
72. In intensive care units: Limiting sugar saves lives.
73. Sugar may induce cell death.
74. In juvenile rehabilitation camps, when children were put on a low sugar diet, there was a 44 percent drop in antisocial behavior
75. Sugar dehydrates newborns.
76. Sugar can cause gum disease.

Five minute fat burners

Interestingly, when asked, most exercise dropouts quote lack of results and lack of time as their primary reasons for quitting and yet, even with the most basic of physiological improvements, results are a function of time.
Perhaps it's a reflection of our 'instant society' that people expect immediate results. After all, we can get instant coffee, meals in minutes and scan the Internet at the touch of a button, so why shouldn't we get the body we want as soon as we take out our gym memberships?
Well, there is no “magic” pill, diet or routine I'm afraid, but try following the simple ideas set out below and you'll be very surprised at the results that can be achieved in a very short time.
Each of the following ideas requires no more than five minutes to perform.

1. Use the ad breaks while watching TV to schedule a workout – the average break runs for only three minutes, allowing you a short burst of activity and plenty of time to recover in between. There is double benefit in this strategy, as most people use the ad breaks to make tea or raid the fridge - this way you won't be able to, and you don't even have to miss your favourite programme. Or

2. Perform your routine on the hour every hour. Stop what you're doing and perform your routine for three to five minutes. Change the exercises you do every hour so as not to overstress your muscles. For example, you might run up and down the stairs for three minutes this time, but perform squats or ab curls next hour.

3. Create a challenging circuit from body-weight exercises. Just by performing push-ups, pull-ups (from a table), squats, lunges and dips, you're training literally every muscle in your body and creating a huge calorie demand while you do so. What's more, you don't need any special equipment to do them.

4. Dance, we all love music. Put your favourite CD on or turn on MTV and get on your feet and jump around. Most tracks are three to five minutes long, so you can get a pretty good workout if you really go for it.

Don't be fooled by the simplicity of these ideas. They may not involve fancy equipment, but they really do deliver the goods if you stick to them - and they can be great fun.

The key here is consistency. You really have to make a commitment to follow your routine every day. Even if it's only a single three-to-five-minute dance. Ideally though, three to five (more if you want to) of these mini-workouts spread across the evening will yield the best results.

Body fat measurements and the measuring tape are recognized as superior methods for measuring "weight loss". When one declares that they want to "lose weight", what they often mean is that they want to lose fat. So, now that you've had your body fat percentage measured, what does the number really mean?

First, your body fat percentage is simply the percentage of fat your body contains. If you are 150 pounds and 10% fat, it means that your body consists of 15 pounds fat and 135 pounds lean body mass (bone, muscle, organ tissue, blood and everything else).

A certain amount of fat is essential to bodily functions. Fat regulates body temperature, cushions and insulates organs and tissues and is the main form of the body's energy storage. The following table describes body fat ranges and their associated categories:
*General Body Fat Percentage Categories
*American Council on Exercise Classification

Women (% fat) Men (% fat)
Essential Fat 10-12% 2-4%
Athletes 14-20% 6-13%
Fitness 21-24% 14-17%
Acceptable 25-31% 18-25%
Obese 32% plus 25% plus

Knowing your body fat percentage can also help you determine if your weight loss goals are realistic. Remember, weight loss doesn't always mean fat loss. For example:

Let's say you're a 130# woman with 23% body fat, and you goal is to "lose 20 pounds":

Initial body fat: 130# x 0.23 fat = 30 # body fat

Lean body mass: 130# total - 30# fat = 100# lean body mass (bones, organs and all else)

Goal: 130# - 20# = 110 pounds

As you can see, the goal of losing 20 pounds is not realistic or healthy. At 110 pounds, this woman still requires 100# of lean body mass (bones, organs, etc.), but would only be carrying 10#, or only 9% body fat. From the chart above, you can see that this is a dangerously low percentage.

A better goal might be for the woman to reduce her body fat from 23% to 18%. In this case:

130# x 0.18 = 23 # body fat

100# lean body mass + 23 # = 123# goal weight

So, for this individual to achieve a lean, but healthy 18% fat, she would need to lose only 7 pounds of fat, reducing her weight from her current 130 pounds to 123 pounds. Losing more than 7 pounds means losing lean body mass (usually metabolically-active muscle tissue), which is clearly not desirable.

So before you decide that you need to "lose weight", remember to consider that "weight" consists of both lean body mass and body fat. Try to keep your weight loss goals realistic, and remember, keep the calorie-burning muscle, and lose only the fat.

So how many press ups can you do Vital dudes!?

Age range/excellent/average/poor

Age 20-29 excellent 54 average 35-44 poor 20
Age 30-39 excellent 44 average 25-34 poor 15
Age 40-49 excellent 39 average 20-29 poor 12
Age 50-59 excellent 34 average 15-24 poor 8

Think this was in men's health or similar.

When I tested a week or so back I was on a puny 10. I have now built to 24 and will carry on adding a couple or so a week

they say:

A huge chest doesn't always equal strength. The number of times you can press your own bodyweight is a truer measure of strength relative to your size.

WHY SHOULD YOU CARE?

It's an excellent health indicator. IF you can only manage a few reps it can mean blood isn't getting to your muscles as well as it could. Training helps forum more blood capillaries in your muscles, meaning more nutrients get to them and help them grow.

The Fear - 5/2/2009 10:51

Main thing that people give up on or never bother with is stretching and being able to touch toes etc etc which helps greatly as people enter older age ranges!

This is a public information announcement

Stretches need to be held for a minimum of 15 seconds to be effective, should cause a feeling of discomfort, not pain, and DO NOT BOUNCE, ballistic stretching is baaaad, mmm kay!

100% Prepared - 10/1/2010 16:47

Here u go. The very watch

http://www.polar.fi/en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FT7

This is the bit that interested me

Polar OwnCal® – calorie expenditure
Polar OwnCal calculates the number of kilocalories expended during training. This feature allows you to follow the kilocalories expended during one training session and cumulative kilocalories expended during several training sessions. Some Polar products also estimate the fat-burning percentage (fat% on display), that is, kilocalories expended from fat during a workout which is expressed as a percentage of the total kilocalories burned.

What it should say is that it is estimating your calorie burn as well!

The problem here lies in the fact that the watch can not know your resting metabolic rate, without that it can not tell you how many calories you have burnt, it works the same with gym equipment that claims to tell you how much you have burnt, it can't, it really is that simple.

A simple way of looking at this

You have two people, one male, one female, the male has 12 stone of lean muscle mass on his body and the female has 7 stone of lean muscle mass, will they both burn the same amount of calories jogging for 20 mins at the same speed? Of course not, you do not have the data to even begin to compare, she may have a massive upper body and really skinny legs, so therefore she is not activating a lot of muscle, his legs may be exactly the same, but he may be carrying an extra 10 stone of fat, which means his overall weight is putting more strain on the legs, therefore burning more cals.

To work out cals burned you need to know the mass of the activated muscle, which is something these watches and machines can not possibly do, it takes days of testing in a lab with very expensive equipment before they can take, even an educated guess!

BUT the main point is this, even if you use this function as a way of measuring your output (accurate or not, if it says you have burnt more than last time, you probably have) it is safe to say the machine is measuring your output in what is commonly known as the fat burning zone, this is a heart rate range that is PROVEN to burn fat, Marvellous you say, and yes it is, BUT when you stop exercising in that range, your fat burning stops, that's it, done for the day.

Whereas, if you are doing fast /slow - interval - fartlek training, call it what you will, you may burn less DURING the same exercise period, BUT you fat burning will carry on for hours and FAR surpass the fat burning achieved in "the Zone"

To get the best results, you've got to push it, and push it good (mmmm sounds like a song)

Any questions?

My friend said something about something that comes with it where. They would do my blood pressure, and body fat etc and all that jazz and input it on their computer, then transfer it to the watch so it does know MY calories burnt?

I'm not 100% sure on it because I am going to tomorrow to the gym to get it and do all the tests etc.

I have placed my faith in him, and I got almost 50% off the price with his discount

It will be more accurate with the added data, will be interested to know what they use to measure your blood pressure/body fat etc, please keep us all up to date :35:

Hot spices are good to get the system going as well. Hot chilli powder, cayenne pepper etc.

I also find that cinnamon (I sprinkle on a couple or 3 sliced apples) is good at cutting craving for sweet stuff as it helps regular blood sugar levels.

One thing about fluid intake. We often think we are hungry when in fact we are de-hydrated or thirsty. Advice says if you feel hungry, drink a glass of water and leave it 30 mins to see if you are still hungry.

Also if you get frustrated one week remember what you have lost in total (don't focus just on the short term)

Also visualisation is good, as above if you are eating food, visualise what is in it ingredient etc wise BUT also get a mental picture of what you have lost, either count how many bags of sugar or lumps of lard your total weight loss equates to and imagine carrying those in a bag with you all the time which is what you are effectively doing carrying excess weight.

I am 8lbs less than I was this time last year, but did get down to under 16 stone in the summer. regressed over the winter months with the advent of plantar fasciitis, but as my oldest boy is now on a 4 days a week programme down the gym I naturally have to accompany him, so have been thurs, sat and today.

We have planned Monday Gym, Tuesday Jack has rugby training in the evening, I will go to the Gym, Wednesday Gym, Friday Gym, Saturday Gym, Jack plays Rugby Sundays I will have a day off.

At least I will feel the monthly fee is justified and shed some weight. Ideally I would like to get to 14 stone... a big ask (3 stone loss). I don't want to use any "artificial stimulants" they frighten the life out of me at my age.

I am drinking very little alcohol and have started on the grapefruit, black coffee and porridge for breakfast routine again. I can see my freezer getting stocked with quorn mince again....great

I can do it , i know I can and the minute I get nearer 16 stone Mrs Fl has abetter nights sleep as the snoring ceases.

So who is looking to lose this year?

Lets have your weights so we can look back in a years time for all the success stories!

My start was Dec 27 at 13st 10 3/4 lb 24% body fat

(Currently 13s2lb)

fatloser - 10/1/2010 18:18

I am drinking very little alcohol and have started on the grapefruit, black coffee and porridge for breakfast routine again. I can see my freezer getting stocked with quorn mince again....great

Did read something that half a grapefruit before all meals appears to help in weight loss, can't remember if they backed it up with much scientific evidence but hey, grapefruit is nice anyway! The red and pink ones are lovely, especially Florida Pink when in season!

Currently 12 stone 5 lbs. Will measure the body fat tomorrow morning, but I'm guessing around 25% if last year is anything to go by.

I would be happy to get under 12stone by May, just being in the 11 stone somethings would be psycologically amazing, but if I could get even lower, say 11 stone 7lbs, I'd be over the moon.

As for body fat % the aim has gotta be 15%-18%

steff_the_villan - 10/1/2010 18:11

It will be more accurate with the added data, will be interested to know what they use to measure your blood pressure/body fat etc, please keep us all up to date :35:

i just assumed that they take it in the usual ways in the gym and enter the results into the computer etc?

No idea at all. Looking forward to finding out tomorrow now

Think it was a big thing on The Mayo Clinic Diet" in that they say it helps to break down the fat in the food you are about to eat

Ignore my last post. Just weighed myself wearing nothing but shorts and a t-shirt and I am only actually 12stone 1.5lbs

Also took my body fat percentage. 21.5%

So my new target based on these figures is 11 stone 5lbs and 16% body fat by May!

Was it one of those cut off t shirts and tight thigh cut of denim shorts? I do hope so