Gone for a song vs Gone for a Burton | Page 7 | Vital Football

Gone for a song vs Gone for a Burton

A goalie's mistakes often result directly in a goal.

This is less so in the case of mistakes from defenders, as there's often someone else to rescue them.

Mistakes from strikers - missing really good scoring chances - seem to be more easily forgiven, as there's not an actual change to the scoreline.

Mistakes from midfielders - missed passes, loss of possession etc - can sometimes lead to either missed chances or goals conceded.

Only the goalie seems to cop the wrath of the fans.

Very true, everytime we are on a bad run it is always the goalie no matter what who is blamed on social media.

Putting a man on the line would make no difference to a cross from that position on the corner of the box....the arc would be exactly the same.

I find all of this so depressing when in our hour of achieving our goal folk can't wait to weigh in on our captain. I also find it amazing that the usual suspects are not employed by a professional club as you obviously think you know better than our new manager.

And I will leave it at that as I realise your expertise and advice will be needed for todays games in the Premier league.

Yet you are an expert on why Jones is a decent keeper ?

You brought up the save he made in the last minute against Shrewsbury and don't accept it was a save most goalkeepers would be expected to make.

I also said I did not blame him for yesterday's goal but maintain his actions/decision before it hit the net showed in detail why he is a poor keeper

The problem with folk on here is that they expect PL players for L1 wages.

The criticism of JJ is totally unwarranted, he is what he is, and that is a decent standard L1 keeper. If he was more consistent then he would not be playing in L1, he would be playing higher up the pyramid.

I was critical at half time of him purely from the view that imo the wall he set was not able to cover the large area of the goal that he had no chance of getting to. That is the reason a wall is set. Ideas like putting a man on the post bring their own problems in that they can then put a couple of players on the line to block the keeper which again in my opinion stops the keeper having any influence.

I am sure that JJ will be the first to admit that the goal was down to him, but for fans to be hyper critical of a player that made three decent saves in the last game to seal the win is in my eyes just plain madness and pure scapegoating.

We need to be supporting every player on the pitch in our colours and not being over critical of players doing their best to keep the club ahead in the relegation fight.

Yet you are an expert on why Jones is a decent keeper ?

You brought up the save he made in the last minute against Shrewsbury and don't accept it was a save most goalkeepers would be expected to make.

I also said I did not blame him for yesterday's goal but maintain his actions/decision before it hit the net showed in detail why he is a poor keeper

The save he made in the final minutes against Shrewsbury was certainly not a save that most goalkeepers are expected to make. Even at the highest levels that was an exceptional save and deserves to be recognised as such. The player had a free header at the back post and directed the ball downwards, JJ had no time to react and yet still got down and got a good hand to the ball and was able to divert it around the post. TBH even Gordon Banks would have been proud of that one.

The problem with folk on here is that they expect PL players for L1 wages.

The criticism of JJ is totally unwarranted, he is what he is, and that is a decent standard L1 keeper. If he was more consistent then he would not be playing in L1, he would be playing higher up the pyramid.

I was critical at half time of him purely from the view that imo the wall he set was not able to cover the large area of the goal that he had no chance of getting to. That is the reason a wall is set. Ideas like putting a man on the post bring their own problems in that they can then put a couple of players on the line to block the keeper which again in my opinion stops the keeper having any influence.

I am sure that JJ will be the first to admit that the goal was down to him, but for fans to be hyper critical of a player that made three decent saves in the last game to seal the win is in my eyes just plain madness and pure scapegoating.

We need to be supporting every player on the pitch in our colours and not being over critical of players doing their best to keep the club ahead in the relegation fight.

Take your opinion on board TB but respectfully disagree. Defending teams much prefer defending corners etc where the goalie can be mobbed as to defending whipped in crosses along the 6 yard line where they have a run on the defence and it can be a nightmare. Give me a corner with a man on the line any day. Advantage outweighs negatives.

Let's not forget it was a cracking free kick irrespective of any failings.

It's been said on here numerous times that our present squad is NOT the same
quality that we had in 2019–20 for obvious reasons,
yet some cannot accept this.

Leam has stated he didn't know what players he had available from
match to match, through being in Administration,
it's a Miracle that we still have a chance to stay up,
the squad he has at present is 'threadbare'.

Leam and the players have made mistakes,
so have PL managers and players,

We have been saved from Liquidation,
otherwise, we would have had to reform in Non-League Football
as AFC Wigan Athletic or any other name.

If we stay up or go down,
we will have to rebuild our squad with more quality players than we have at present and Leam must know by now, the players who are being released.

Either way, we have kept our League status as Wigan Athletic,
we may be a 'Phoenix' Club in name, but not in Status.

Last edited:
It's been said on here numerous times that our present squad is NOT the same
quality that we had in 2019–20 for obvious reasons,
yet some cannot accept this.

Leam has stated he didn't know what players he had available from
match to match, through being in Administration,
it's a Miracle that we still have a chance to stay up,
the squad he has at present is 'threadbare'.

Leam and the players have made mistakes,
so have PL managers and players,

We have been saved from Liquidation,
otherwise, we would have had to reform in Non-League Football
as AFC Wigan Athletic or any other name.

If we stay up or go down,
we will have to rebuild our squad with more quality players than we have at present and Leam must know by now, the players who are being released.

Either way, we have kept our League status as Wigan Athletic,
we may be a 'Phoenix' Club in name, but not in Status.
And squad and position wise we are where we are because of a couple of unscrupulous Hong Kong businessmen.

Only get better players in if we pay better wages. You pay for what you get. And these days we can only shop at B @ M bargains.
Only get better players in if we pay better wages. You pay for what you get. And these days we can only shop at B @ M bargains.

You are right, let's hope our 'New' owners realise that, they will have to spend to
get better quality players to take the Club forward and get a team that will win
matches on a regular basis, so the 'fanbase' does not fall through the floor.

We cannot afford to have another Season 'flirting' with Relegation,
no matter what League we are in, as we will be lucky to get 3k to 5k Latics fans
on match days.

You are right, let's hope our 'New' owners realise that, they will have to spend to
get better quality players to take the Club forward and get a team that will win
matches on a regular basis, so the 'fanbase' does not fall through the floor.

We cannot afford to have another Season 'flirting' with Relegation,
no matter what League we are in, as we will be lucky to get 3k to 5k Latics fans
on match days.
You mean spend like Choi? See where it got us.

Just watching Wolves v Burnley and the commentator stated that Burnley have spent £2M on players this season.
Wolves spent £35M on one player.
Its is 4-0 to Burnley and they are 9 points clear of the drop.
Its not always just about the money!!!

Can't see us getting anything out of Hull, think it will come down to us needing a win Vs Swindon with it being in Rochdale's hands

I dont think so Franko. If Rochdale (and it is a bif if) beat Wimbledon then that will drag them back in tp the battle. They have Lincon and Portsmouth to play who are both battling for play off places.
Now we have 6 goals difference to Wimbledon but if they lose all 3 that will soon be chewed up.

Having said that I dont see Rochdale beating Wimbledon and in that case they need 6 points from Doncaster away and MK Dons at home. Highly unlikely. So to answer your specific comment I think one point from Hull or Swindon will be enough for us. Rapped up by next Saturdau with either a point from Hull or a Rochdale loss.

I dont think so Franko. If Rochdale (and it is a bif if) beat Wimbledon then that will drag them back in tp the battle. They have Lincon and Portsmouth to play who are both battling for play off places.
Now we have 6 goals difference to Wimbledon but if they lose all 3 that will soon be chewed up.

Having said that I dont see Rochdale beating Wimbledon and in that case they need 6 points from Doncaster away and MK Dons at home. Highly unlikely. So to answer your specific comment I think one point from Hull or Swindon will be enough for us. Rapped up by next Saturdau with either a point from Hull or a Rochdale loss.

Luckily their game in hand is against eachother like you said, which is by far the best case scenario for us, both can't win, and if Rochdale do fail to beat Wimbledon, then Hull away does not matter, just need to beat Swindon. I think we are in a very healthy situation regarding that. But I do feel Rochdale will beat Wimbledon, only because this league has been unpredictable this season. Nobody thought Wimbledon will go down after last week. Strange times.

And Rochdale play dons last game of the season. Imagine they won't be overly upset losing if it meant Wimbledon going down.

As could his 93rd minute save at Shrewsbury to earn us 2 points.
Had a feeling that would be brought up. So let’s subtract those two points saved from the number he’s cost us over the course of the season. I reckon it probably comes to around five points. Five points which would have seen us safe by now.