Gone for a song vs Gone for a Burton | Vital Football

Gone for a song vs Gone for a Burton

moonay

Vital Football Legend
(Copied from the other thread:)
I'm actually dreading the game on saturday right now. It's almost as if it's a punishment we feel obliged to put ourselves through. When we were losing, and only had hope to cling to, then a loss (being inevitable) wasn't so hard to take.

Right now, being so close to safety, and what would be an absolutely incredible achievement is churning the insides like never before. I'm actually confident, but terrified.

All that said, with a developing partnerships every part of the field, a newly appointed manager to impress, new contracts to play for, and the freedom of Wigan awaiting every player, it's hard to look beyond making saturday into a five for (to use a cricketing expression).

Now ... where's that diocalm?

It's the fear that good form always comes to an end. With so many players hitting form, Goals coming from across the team over the last month, belief in the process, leam getting the job. Hopefully it's enough to get us over the line on sat and possibly other results going our way.

Never thought this squad would be writing such a chapter in latics history but the players look really up for the fight now and have gained that self confidence and gelled as a team.

No escaping the fact that Burton are a good side under Hasselbiank and although they aren't playing for anything in theory, i get the impression they have developed a winning mentality and are looking to keep it going to the end of the season and carry it into next season. I think Burton will be in the promotion mix next year for sure like they were last time Hasselbiank was there.

It will be a fierce test, they have strength, pace and power and are well organised and always up for the battle.

With the other fixtures i think anything but a win will see our lead eaten away and with our game against Hull and Rochdales game in hand coming this next week we could easily drop into the relegation places before the final day. If we drop into the bottom 4 again i don't think we'll get out, so we've got to ensure we don't let that happen.

This weekends results wont confirm survival or relegation for us but it will be decisive - this is as must win and we'll have to be at our best.

Good side
Winning mentality
Looking to keep it going
Carry it on
Promotion mix
Strength, pace, power
Well organised
Up for the battle

Everything you've said there KDZ describes us just as much as Burton, however, as they've drawn and lost in their last two games, maybe it applies more to us than them.

All of us are wary, of course we are, but just as we have to be at our best, so will Northampton and Rochdale if they're to hope to overtake us.

Good side
Winning mentality
Looking to keep it going
Carry it on
Promotion mix
Strength, pace, power
Well organised
Up for the battle

Everything you've said there KDZ describes us just as much as Burton, however, as they've drawn and lost in their last two games, maybe it applies more to us than them.

All of us are wary, of course we are, but just as we have to be at our best, so will Northampton and Rochdale if they're to hope to overtake us.

Absolutely, Burton are like a version of what we would be now if we started this run earlier and maintained it and i wouldn't want to play us if i was an opposition team.

Watching Burton highlights they press very high like we have been doing recently trying to force mistakes, but they also seem to push much higher with their back line to squeeze the pitch. So we'll likely get no time and space to play out but there will be gaps behind for Lang to exploit with his pace. I think we'll need Dodoo to have a good game as we'll probably be forced to go long more often so he'll need to be winning the aerial duals and holding things up.

I don't think I've been this nervous about a game since the Sheffield United relegation battle but we all know what happened then.
I'm going to go for a 2-0 home win as I think the players will be busting a gut for our "new manager".
:cool:(y)

Big ask 5 wins on the trot. Score draw for me 1-1
I’d love a win but maybe John calls this right ....

and anyone of a nervous disposition, fret no more ....
I will be maintaining my “I-follow abstinence” programme ....the clincher was being asked to a barbecue this aft by ”non Latics hosts“ ....an invite that would have been shoved up their fundament had I been trotting along to my seat in WS5 ....but under current circumstances, I’ll likely be swearing and stomping about their garden, glued to the piggin phone (text updates only)

Last edited:
I’d love a win but maybe John calls this right ....

and anyone of a nervous disposition, fret no more ....
I will be maintaining my “I-follow abstinence” programme ....the clincher was being asked to a barbecue this aft by ”non Latics hosts“ ....an invite that would have been shoved up their fundament had I been trotting along to my seat in WS5 ....but under current circumstances, I’ll likely be swearing and stomping about their garden, glued to the piggin phone (text updates only)

That is what I call "taking one for the team"

Another day and another must win game, win today and we will out ourselves in a very good position for the free hit against Hull. Can't be happy with a point if Northampton and Rochdale win. It's more and less about matching their results right now though. But a big 90 minutes and win will ease so much pressure

Today is all about the players being in the right frame of mind. This is a game that will determine our season, if the players show the desire and passion to win that has been evident in recent games then we could be all but safe by this evening. If, however the nerves kick in and we get an edgy performance then I expect Burton to seize the chance and put themselves mathematically safe. There is no point in relying on other results, there is only one result that matters today and we need to be the ones to pull it off.

I have no doubt it will be an edgy game as there is so much riding on the result for both teams but if we are to survive we need to throw everything at this game and every player needs to leave it all on the pitch, there can be no regrets in the dressing room after the game.

Come on you Tic's and show us what you really are made of.