Gills fans survey | Page 3 | Vital Football

Gills fans survey

The new stadium, eh, remember all the holiday makers who only ever saw an artist's impression of their dream hotel?

I agree with you on a lot of that, AK. I’d like Scally to carry on as Chief Exec to show the owner the reins for a while: the ideal owner is one who’s familiar with running businesses but also knowledgable on the game/club/traditions - that’s obvious for me. But I’d like him/her/they to also work on a sensible playing budget/turnover ratio while being willing to try something different in order to increase the turnover particularly in terms of revenue. Be inventive to get more bums on seats and using our facilities and buying our merchandise and getting in sponsors.

Maybe giving Scally the day-to-day job only but with the freedom to do what he’d maybe wanted to do but hadn’t been brave enough to while he was owner. Not to mention keep him working on his Opus Dei - the new stadium, depending on how much progress you believe we’ve made so far.

I always play the "if i won the euromillions" game and I say id buy gfc to keep me busy between my trips to Dubai (Look i sound like him already). But i always say id buy the club and keep scally on in some capacity for at least a few months to a year. The wealth of knowledge he has would be invaluable to me having little/no knowledge in running the business side of things of a club. Contract negotiations for example etc. Although I fear if that were to happen youd get a very bad press indeed and im not sure the fans would buy into you. Id maybe get an ex chairman in as consultant instead.

In fact scally with all his experience almost made this exact same mistake eoth JED as manager 2 seasons ago. JET, Konchesky, etc. Its easily done. Spend big...it will get you promotion...yeah right. Its harder than that and takes prolonged expenditure in the right places usually.
Incidentally that was the Summer we started hearing the rumours about Colin Jarvis wanting to take over the club but only if we were in the Championship.

I still think the 'tonnes' of fans that don't go now because of Scally would start going again if we were pushing for promotion to the Championship from the start of next season. We always hear this doom and gloom and 'Scally Out' when the team is doing badly. But it is the manager and team that are failing and whilst Scally picks the manager, he doesn't pick the team, nor does he dictate who the manager wants to sign. Even the first time the ex-England manager was here fans got pissed off. This year we started off badly, had a successful period in the middle and then finished badly, so the 'Scally Out' brigade is crowing again. People want an 'experienced' manager rather than a 'cheap option'.

I really would love SL to get his own players in and win the League One title, then listen to the comments. It would really put an end to the Billy Bleach' bollocks!!

I still think the 'tonnes' of fans that don't go now because of Scally would start going again if we were pushing for promotion to the Championship from the start of next season. We always hear this doom
I still think the 'tonnes' of fans that don't go now because of Scally would start going again if we were pushing for promotion to the Championship from the start of next season. We always hear this doom and gloom and 'Scally Out' when the team is doing badly. But it is the manager and team that are failing and whilst Scally picks the manager, he doesn't pick the team, nor does he dictate who the manager wants to sign. Even the first time the ex-England manager was here fans got pissed off. This year we started off badly, had a successful period in the middle and then finished badly, so the 'Scally Out' brigade is crowing again. People want an 'experienced' manager rather than a 'cheap option'.

I really would love SL to get his own players in and win the League One title, then listen to the comments. It would really put an end to the Billy Bleach' bollocks!!

What the fuck you on about?

No "ofers" have been made for the club. Enquries may have been made but that is is just day to day business - I am off to inquire about buying a new car but I may go 6 showrooms

Over the years Paul Scally has done a huge amount to raise the profile of GFC and improve facilities at the club. He may well be looking to sell, but is what`s on offer sufficient to interest serious investors?

Remaining at the current ground surely offers no real potential for anyone interested in buying the club. Buying a club because you`re a "life-long fan" is all very nice but if you don`t have the means to move the business forward, ie building and consolidating a plan to expand,- new ground etc, what`s in it for the genuine entrepenuer looking to back a credible business plan. Kent & Medway is a well populated area capable of under-pinning, financially feeding, such a plan. That`s a plus, but it`s probably the only one. Any long term serious, interested buyer surely has to be able to finance a new ground and be willing to accept that it may take several years to do that.

There is potential but are genuine potential buyers of football clubs going to consider GFC when there are alternatives, with better capacity, that offer a quicker return.

I`m firmly in the "build it and they will come" camp, Kent is a large marketplace. Will they ever build it though, that is the question. one thing for sure, without a new stadium GFC can only slide south !

No "ofers" have been made for the club. Enquries may have been made but that is is just day to day business - I am off to inquire about buying a new car but I may go 6 showrooms

You wouldn't buy any car if it was battered or broken or the finances didn't look right though would you?

Last edited:
You wouldn't buy any car if it was battered or broken or the finances didn't look right though would you?

I would choose the best one for the job

But dont forget at the centreplate hearing it was stated that it was well a well run business and PS as “admirable” and praised him for his running of the Club - but why would they know better than a fan!

Like Pulis used to say- you can have the best stadium in the world, but of you don't have a decent team on the pitch, people won't come...

Durham, because some fans have actually had first hand dealings with the club in business over the years or know people who have worked at GFC over the years.

As I said the other day you can spin BS all you want, some fans KNOW different.

As you claim/ seem to be ITK with Scally, why did MEMS stop sponsoring GFC?

Last edited:
Durham, because some fans have actually had first hand dealings with the club in business over the years or know people who have worked at GFC over the years.

As I said the other day you can spin BS all you want, some fans KNOW different.

As you claim/ seem to be ITK with Scally, why did MEMS stop sponsoring GFC?

I do business with the club many times each month and have done for 30 years so i do KNOW, but again why would we know better than the court officials who went into every detail to determine we were not over stating our claim

MEMS - dont know but could just be they decided they could not afford it any more - advertising and marketing is one of the first thing to go when money gets tight.

"But dont forget at the centreplate hearing it was stated that it was well a well run business and PS as “admirable” and praised him for his running of the Club"

Who said that?

How come you are using the club badge for your logo on this board? Surely, its use is protected unless, of course, you are PS.

I do business with the club many times each month and have done for 30 years so i do KNOW, but again why would we know better than the court officials who went into every detail to determine we were not over stating our claim

MEMS - dont know but could just be they decided they could not afford it any more - advertising and marketing is one of the first thing to go when money gets tight.

So a well run club is one that ran up £13m of debt that it couldn't service and had to rely on the debt restructuring and the bank to right of a significant part all of the debt?

Durham, you're initial statement was inferring that supporters don't have a clue about what goes on behind the scenes. My point is that some supporters do have/have had dealings with the club and know some of the goings on, hence why there is such apathy towards Scally and doing business with GFC locally and from local businesses.

Neither of the above point to a well run business.

"But dont forget at the centreplate hearing it was stated that it was well a well run business and PS as “admirable” and praised him for his running of the Club"

Who said that?

How come you are using the club badge for your logo on this board? Surely, its use is protected unless, of course, you are PS.

Its in the official court report

So a well run club is one that ran up £13m of debt that it couldn't service and had to rely on the debt restructuring and the bank to right of a significant part all of the debt?

Durham, you're initial statement was inferring that supporters don't have a clue about what goes on behind the scenes. My point is that some supporters do have/have had dealings with the club and know some of the goings on, hence why there is such apathy towards Scally and doing business with GFC locally and from local businesses.

Neither of the above point to a well run business.
I object to the fact that Durham doesn't think that some of us haven't been around the block.

Unless Durham is doing any of the following

a) directly profiteering from the use
b) claiming to represent the club
c) doing anything that would put the club in a bad light

then I doubt the club particularly cares if someone wants to post the club badge on a Gillingham FC related fans forum.