Gills fans survey | Page 2 | Vital Football

Gills fans survey

Even without a survey it is obvious that all fans want a) improvement in style and results b) a new owner the required finances and commitment but only IF that means 'a' can be achieved.

Also, we all believe that the business side could be run better, improvements have been discussed enough on this board.

We also know that an element of our fans want Scally out even if it was known to be detrimental to the club.

So why would anyone need a f survey lol.

I think that the football side of the business and conference facilities are mutually exclusive. Good conference facilities should sell whether they're attached to a football ground, car dealership or supermarket, although, if the Gills were a high flying team, that might add a bit of kudos to proceedings. So, Scally really needs to concentrate hard on the footballing side of things as long as the conference facilities are up to scratch. If you look at Note 2 on page 15 of the GFC accounts to 31/5/16, it gives a detailed breakdown of turnover for the period of which banqueting and catering are a large chunk - it's in the attachment.

Attachments

• GFC Accounts to 31:5:16.pdf
    117.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
link didn't work for me. What did it say. I guess the point I was making would be if you had 100K would you improve the conference/catering to grow the sales in that part of business or reduce ST prices to take a punt on growing the sales there.

As I said I don't know just asking which one is most profitable

Try this for size - it gives a breakdown of turnover but not the profitability of each element.

Attachments

• GFC Accounts to 31_5_16.jpg
    GFC Accounts to 31_5_16.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 9
Thanks - so turnover 1.5 to 1.1 - not much in it. Interesting to see what it will be in the first set of figures post centreplate.

The whole pro and anti Scally thing is tiresome and goes nowhere. I haven't checked out the survey because I don't much believe in them (small print 87% of 162 women prefer shampooX) because they are silly and reveal little. It may help the organisers to jack up their enthuisiasm and bolster their confidence, or not.

Don't believe for a minute that a balanced and respectful survey would elicit any better response from Scally. He'd almost certainly ignore that also. We could always do one ourselves and then bill it as reflecting the opinions of 83% of all online Gills opinion.

I just answered the "survey" (PS/GFC bashing exercise) for a bit of fun.

I had to mention that I last saw the club in 1989 then again in 2017. The difference from then to now is absolutely stunning. The pitch, the stadium, the shop, the facilities the bars etc. And inbetween times I missed 3 or 4 Wembley appearances, numerous relegations and promotions and a couple of excellent cup runs not to mention the 5 years in the Championship - all things that I never saw in the 20 years previous. I place all the credit for that at the feet of Paul Scally :loser:

I wonder how well that will go down at PS Bash HQ :unsure:

Probably be dismissed because I don't count :(

(and don't all start to bash me. I know some out there have, maybe quite rightly, some grumbles with the way the club is run).

the question that I always ask any of the Scally out brigade is "ok, who in"
that kills the conversation stone dead :wave::wave:

I find the answer is either "anyone but Scally could do better" or some sort of Ebbsfleet experiment where the ST holders become some sort of union that Scally would need to consult before making any decision.

Not sure it kills the conversation at all.

its now common knowledge that Colin Jarvis has made offers very recently (this year). Also a reputable source is confident that a Dutch consortium has mad an offer in the last 6 months too. So there ARE people that want to buy the club.

Not sure it kills the conversation at all.

its now common knowledge that Colin Jarvis has made offers very recently (this year). Also a reputable source is confident that a Dutch consortium has mad an offer in the last 6 months too. So there ARE people that want to buy the club.

Got any sources for either of these?

I’m not calling for Scally to leave. I’d prefer to have him as majority owner and if not then at least stay on as Chief Exec. But the club won’t simply implode without him, that’s just project fear. To me we’re in a good enough financial position - any person inheriting the club won’t be taking on much debt at all. I’d take a lower credit rating over paying a stupid amount in interest on an unmanageable debt.

Of course no-one can name anyone who will step in if/when Scally leaves, not unless you’re on the Board of fucking Directors and have received interest/an offer already! The fans will simply mention every celebrity Gills fan they know other than Colin Jarvis, and even Colin hasn’t been public in his wishes to take the club over. Most owners in English football have come out of left-field, especially given the increasingly corporate nature of the industry attracting consortiums based around corporations.

But the club won’t simply implode without him, that’s just project fear. To me we’re in a good enough financial position - any person inheriting the club won’t be taking on much debt at all. I’d take a lower credit rating over paying a stupid amount in interest on an unmanageable debt.

I think alot of people underestimate what it requires to run a football club. I could imagine a new owner coming in, thinking well lets just spend a load of money that will guarantee success...easy as that... So off he'll plod spending a load of dosh. The fans will be happy for a few months until its clear weve bought a bunch of expensive has beens who do nothing. Then the club will not be able to afford anything else and Will spiral in to debt. If the chairman can afford to fund it then okay. But there's an equal chance they'll realise they can't afford to maintain that sort of expenditure and Will tighten the purse strings. We'd fall out the leages as fast as you can say leyton orient.

In fact scally with all his experience almost made this exact same mistake eoth JED as manager 2 seasons ago. JET, Konchesky, etc. Its easily done. Spend big...it will get you promotion...yeah right. Its harder than that and takes prolonged expenditure in the right places usually.

I am 50:50 On a new chairman. I actually think scally has overall done an admirable job while admitedly making a lot of errors along the way. But overall we are in a fairly healthy and stable position given he's invested limited money into the club. But there's so many fans against him now I do wonder if it's time for him to go. If only to unite the fan base temporarily and to see if there's a different approach that might work. Maybe someone else would do some bettercticket deals etc. Who knows. Always hear of plenty of fans saying there's tonnes who don't go now cos of scally. Well they would have no excuse now. They could come back and enjoy the football again. Surely attendances and the feel good factor would improve things at gfc massively.

So while I don't necessarily think scally has done too much wrong. And see the clubs side in many of the criticisms thrown at the club, just to improve the feeling at the club it might be time forvhim to move on and let someone else have a go.

I agree with you on a lot of that, AK. I’d like Scally to carry on as Chief Exec to show the owner the reins for a while: the ideal owner is one who’s familiar with running businesses but also knowledgable on the game/club/traditions - that’s obvious for me. But I’d like him/her/they to also work on a sensible playing budget/turnover ratio while being willing to try something different in order to increase the turnover particularly in terms of revenue. Be inventive to get more bums on seats and using our facilities and buying our merchandise and getting in sponsors.

Maybe giving Scally the day-to-day job only but with the freedom to do what he’d maybe wanted to do but hadn’t been brave enough to while he was owner. Not to mention keep him working on his Opus Dei - the new stadium, depending on how much progress you believe we’ve made so far.