General Football thread | Page 85 | Vital Football

General Football thread

So Van Bronckhorst is the new Rangers manager with Gerrard and Smith being appointed at Villa and Norwich accordingly.

Lampard has apparently suggested that he wants a job in the Premier League but it looks like his stint at Chelsea has put paid to that. Be interesting to see where he ends up next…

As for Forest I am mostly worried about the prospect of losing Spence. Ideally I would like to see us remove that worry by signing him but I am not convinced that will happen.

The Van Bronckhorst appointment came as a bit of a surprise; Gary Ballance had been installed as the odds on favourite for the vacancy, following Rafiq's testimony to the DCSM select committee earlier in the week.

nahh not really. Fair play sticking with him that long in some ways but once Fergy says no its no lol

I like a flutter now n again still.

I was just checking our league position for the eigtheenth time , as you do, and thinking, we are still flying under the radar, especially with the 1 win in 5 on the form charts.

The bookies really dont give much away but I think they really do have this one wrong, irrespective of what happens.

Lets consider the top 2 spots taken by the top 2 sides. Odds on and rightly so.

Baggies favs for third, so by default lowest odds for promotion, so pretty much NOT taking the play offs into account at all. They are listed at around even money which is just shocking.

After this the betting pretty much is current league position based. I thought Id see us around 7-1 for promotion but we are in fact able to get 33/1 in some places.

Almost to a man/fan we are starting to think that this side is looking like it wont lose many games, thats pretty much inside knowledge at this point, I reckon if we ended up even in 6th place we'd only be 7/4 shots in the plays offs. If you ever bet for value then this is genuine value and goto be worth a tenner of anyones money before we win the next match

Jasper Carrott will be sad, but then much of his act was based on Birmingham City being rubbish.
Is he their most famous fan?
His daughter is probably more famous these days but I'm not sure if she also goes up the City.
my fam all blue noses and it did always seem like a wasted club in the sense of it being the second city name with a big catchment area, youd think at some point they would have achieved something.

Trevor, Worthington and the Penguin kit, those are still the highlights I have of them lol oh and the cursed era, remember that? They had the ground exorcised and had red added to the kit and everything lol

French football in a bit of a mess. Finances are rock bottom post covid. Only Amazon have put in a serious TV bid and that s very low. Now Lyon Marseille game abandoned after Poyet got struck by bottle. Looked very nasty. Many top teams will be haemorrhaging players. Worth putting in a few bids for any players that fit the Murphy blueprint. Several really good players could become available at a snip.

It is rumoured that the Blades are going for Rooney when yer man has been fired.
So no fairy tale return for Warnock then?

In fairness Rooney hasn’t done too badly, especially in the circumstances. Be interesting what he could do at Sheff Utd but another nail in Derby’s coffin.

Thought b;ades won last night and I still feared them coming out of ther pack 2nd half of the season i admit

Haydon Roberts apparently on the list and makes sense.

weve spoke a litle about Coops playing the back 3 over the back 4 and I think the issue for him is that if he starts a 3 at the back hed like the option of keeping that shape if one of the centre halves gets injured. With Soh out then its become essential that we see Ely getting involved. Ive not seen the u23s etc the last couple of weeks or so, has he been getting any game time yet?

Brereton is being linked to a few sides 're a £20 million price tag. I wonder if we have a sell on clause or is that wishful thinking?

Haydon Roberts apparently on the list and makes sense.

weve spoke a litle about Coops playing the back 3 over the back 4 and I think the issue for him is that if he starts a 3 at the back hed like the option of keeping that shape if one of the centre halves gets injured. With Soh out then its become essential that we see Ely getting involved. Ive not seen the u23s etc the last couple of weeks or so, has he been getting any game time yet?
Ely has been injured pretty much since arriving. Don’t bank on seeing much if anything of him this season.

European teams are in the main, in turmoil. Not as bad as Derby but still problems. Many are under financial constraints. Contracts are not being renewed even for the best. Covid is raising its head again. Bellenense had a game abandoned 7 - 0 down at half tome due to the virus. Several Bavarian based teams may play behind closed doors. The French Ballon d’or goes to PSG’s Messi, not as expected, to a Pole playing in Germany. Champions League and Europa cup have to play final round amongst rising covid rates and no fans. No TV companies wanting to renew TV contracts at present rates.