Gardening thread | Page 22 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

It's about 4ft. We have 2 but, imo, both were over-pruned and one got a fungal infection (since cured). I think they'll take a few years to develop.

We also gave 2 dwarf pear trees but they dudn't flower this year. Hoping they will next.
Ah, fair enough. Best that they establish themselves first before trying to produce loads of fruit. Our pear tree was the same - took a good few years but now is starting to grow a reasonable crop (though the tree is still by no means large).

Ah, fair enough. Best that they establish themselves first before trying to produce loads of fruit. Our pear tree was the same - took a good few years but now is starting to grow a reasonable crop (though the tree is still by no means large).

they also have rest years where it puts all its energy into fruit the next year it’s not so good. I think the previous owners where we are we a cross between Freddie Kruger and Edward Scissor hands because everything was pruned to death when we moved in including 3x apple trees 1x plum and 1x pear. The following season the new growth was vertical resulting in next to no fruit and distressed trees (these are very very old). The following winter I cut back all the vertical bits to regain the goblet shape - apart from having the nicest smelling kindling we also have happy trees and more fruit.

they also have rest years where it puts all its energy into fruit the next year it’s not so good. I think the previous owners where we are we a cross between Freddie Kruger and Edward Scissor hands because everything was pruned to death when we moved in including 3x apple trees 1x plum and 1x pear. The following season the new growth was vertical resulting in next to no fruit and distressed trees (these are very very old). The following winter I cut back all the vertical bits to regain the goblet shape - apart from having the nicest smelling kindling we also have happy trees and more fruit.

Less gardening, more ranting about politics please, bristolimp! ;)

So many courgettes have been giving them away, and just from two plants. Potatoes have also done well and are good eating. Two old and overgrown apple trees have plenty of fruit but the pear, also well overgrown has nothing.

Roses have had a reasonable first year, with more to come. White Hollyhock, purple Lupin and bright orange Crocosmia/Montbrecia provide an interesting contrast in the new border. New lawn the other positive, but elsewhere Ground Elder and Ivy still reign supreme.

Regularly getting 3-4 ripe tomatoes off the vines now. Some green ones are dropping but they ripen nicely indoors using Mrs N.'s brown paper bag trick.

A few very late but tasty strawberries.

Had one meal from the 3 pepper plants and 3 more ripening nicely.

Tomatoes going strong in the greenhouse still

harvested the apples and pears. 4 trees in total - good harvest probably 100 or so per tree. As many if not more that fall off before they are ready or are bad when picked. Back breaking stuff glad it’s not a full time job I think I would be sacked.

Tomatoes going strong in the greenhouse still

harvested the apples and pears. 4 trees in total - good harvest probably 100 or so per tree. As many if not more that fall off before they are ready or are bad when picked. Back breaking stuff glad it’s not a full time job I think I would be sacked.

That's an impressive harvest. What do you do with them all?

That's an impressive harvest. What do you do with them all?

good question this is the first year I have done this really- last year was the first year living here and there were not so many apples and was a bit slow to react etc.

the pears are going into recipes this week, the apples will be wrapped in newspaper and stored in the garage - done about 1/3 so far. If we run out of space (an IKEA racking and other stuff that does the job at the moment) will probably wash cut and freeze

if it goes Pete tongue in the coming weeks and months we might need them!

good question this is the first year I have done this really- last year was the first year living here and there were not so many apples and was a bit slow to react etc.

the pears are going into recipes this week, the apples will be wrapped in newspaper and stored in the garage - done about 1/3 so far. If we run out of space (an IKEA racking and other stuff that does the job at the moment) will probably wash cut and freeze

if it goes Pete tongue in the coming weeks and months we might need them!
If you're in need of things to do with the pears, I did this with mine last year and was very impressed with the results:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/53839/grandmas-pear-preserves/

A spoonful goes very nicely with a mince pie (especially a hot one), and a jar of the stuff makes a decent gift.

Another good handful of tomatoes today.

A late surge from the strawberries as well.

We're taking the pepper plants inside to see if we can help them weather the winter.

put them on a tray on the windowsill with some of the vines and bananas - they will ripen. I am going to do that soon as the plants are dying back but plenty on there still

Aye, we are doing that with those that are dropping.

I've never made chutney - and very much like it - so may give it a go anyway. I'm hoping it will be widely appreciated.

Aye, we are doing that with those that are dropping.

I've never made chutney - and very much like it - so may give it a go anyway. I'm hoping it will be widely appreciated.
How will you feel if it isn't widely appreciated, I wonder?

I love making chutney. I'm planning this year's batch at the moment.

now that the autumn and winter approaches , and more time will be spent at home with less travelling , the gardens will have to be put to bed , so when the gardening is done , im having a go at baking . cakes and bread . just saying lol

now that the autumn and winter approaches , and more time will be spent at home with less travelling , the gardens will have to be put to bed , so when the gardening is done , im having a go at baking . cakes and bread . just saying lol
Ah…. So we may see you occasionally on the cookery thread in the future. I believe @Rob the Imp is our resident bread expert on here. You’ll be very welcome