Gardening thread | Page 20 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

A handful of red gooseberries harvested today. Enough for a fool - like me.

The red gooseberry bushes weren't attacked anywhere nearly as badly by saw-fly as the standard variety, interestingly.

On the SB and EPC pitches thread Impalex recommended Canadian grass seed he bought through Amazon. I have dug some old tree roots up from my front lawn which left quite a few bare patches. So taking Impalex's hint I purchased some of the said seed. Only put some down a week ago and already have some healthy looking growth coming through.
So thanks a lot Impalex and I can now also recommend this grass seed.

On the SB and EPC pitches thread Impalex recommended Canadian grass seed he bought through Amazon. I have dug some old tree roots up from my front lawn which left quite a few bare patches. So taking Impalex's hint I purchased some of the said seed. Only put some down a week ago and already have some healthy looking growth coming through.
So thanks a lot Impalex and I can now also recommend this grass seed.

we have let the lawns go this year and it’s amazing how many different sort of grasses grow in a lawn it’s like a patchwork quilt intermingled it’s wild flowers that have been brought in by the wind and the seeds. insects and birds love it and so do I as it’s maintenance free!

I took out some of our potato plants the other day - they were taking over everything - and put some cauliflowers that we were gifted in. I've put some new grass seed down on the bare path provided by the dogs, but no growth as yet.

I took out some of our potato plants the other day - they were taking over everything - and put some cauliflowers that we were gifted in. I've put some new grass seed down on the bare path provided by the dogs, but no growth as yet.

Our potatoes coming out next week. We tried some caulies last year and that's all we got: all caulie and no flower. 🤣

Just sat in the garden looking at the fruit trees it looks a much better year for the apples and pears. The plums look good too. I think the crap weather bugger up the figs. Last year was fantastic - this is the furthest south I have ever lived and I am amazed at what you can grow it’s like a different country but I think this year we have had northern weather as they seem to be falling off before they are ripe

do you not find them to be real hard work? We had them last year and needed a lot of upkeep lots of water you then had to bury them again etc real pain

Just sat in the garden looking at the fruit trees it looks a much better year for the apples and pears. The plums look good too. I think the crap weather bugger up the figs. Last year was fantastic - this is the furthest south I have ever lived and I am amazed at what you can grow it’s like a different country but I think this year we have had northern weather as they seem to be falling off before they are ripe
Same for us re: fruit trees, our little pear tree is laden this year - we normally only get a handful from it.

do you not find them to be real hard work? We had them last year and needed a lot of upkeep lots of water you then had to bury them again etc real pain
The potatoes? I just stick them in the ground and pretty much leave them to it bar a bit of watering. We had a few volunteers from last year too.

The potatoes? I just stick them in the ground and pretty much leave them to it bar a bit of watering. We had a few volunteers from last year too.

Our problem is that in a small backyard they rather take over. After 2 years we're going tlo try something different next year, I think.

Our problem is that in a small backyard they rather take over. After 2 years we're going tlo try something different next year, I think.
That's exactly the case with us, too - given perhaps 1/6th of the veg patch space, then they've expanded their territory to a quarter+ and shading out some of the other plants. I was recently told that is common and is why people plant them in pots/tubs instead! It never occurred to me, to be honest.

That's exactly the case with us, too - given perhaps 1/6th of the veg patch space, then they've expanded their territory to a quarter+ and shading out some of the other plants. I was recently told that is common and is why people plant them in pots/tubs instead! It never occurred to me, to be honest.

Ours are in tubs! They still go mad...

We're also trying to grow some coriander, basil and rocket from seed. Haven't tried this before so no idea if it will work. It's so warm up here at the moment that we've just planted them out.