Gardening thread | Page 21 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

We're also trying to grow some coriander, basil and rocket from seed. Haven't tried this before so no idea if it will work. It's so warm up here at the moment that we've just planted them out.

Best of luck with those. Rocket was fine, but coriander bolted too fast to be of much use and basil did the square root of b*gger all. Hope you're more successful than we were!

Best of luck with those. Rocket was fine, but coriander bolted too fast to be of much use and basil did the square root of b*gger all. Hope you're more successful than we were!
I've never been able to successfully grow basil - I'd love to know what the secret to it is! Rocket does seem to grow like a...well, a rocket. Maybe hence the name? I'm not sure!

My courgette plants are finally looking healthier - not dropping their flowers like they were - after a hefty feed. Red Brussels sprouts are being savaged by beasties of the caterpillar variety ☹️

Some coriander seedlings have appeared and fewer basil ones. The rocket has germinated, as has the lettuce. May be a bit late in the season for it all, but an interesting experiment as our first attempt at growing from seeds.

Tomatoes starting to ripen - 2 more today and up to about 20 blackberries in the freezer.

The single apple on our dwarf tree is ripening nicely.

Last edited:
Figs picked on Friday. Good year even if it was a lot later then last. We took about 100 off the tree and left those difficult to reach or gone past their best so not a bad yield.

I think next up will be the plums not so many this year.

This year looks the best for pears.

Rhubarb also not so good this year.

We have an able and willing helper this year possibly 2. The badgers have been deposing of the slugs snails and ants which is a great help!

Figs picked on Friday. Good year even if it was a lot later then last. We took about 100 off the tree and left those difficult to reach or gone past their best so not a bad yield.

I think next up will be the plums not so many this year.

This year looks the best for pears.

Rhubarb also not so good this year.

We have an able and willing helper this year possibly 2. The badgers have been deposing of the slugs snails and ants which is a great help!

I don't give a fig for your, er, figs. Mrs N. loves them.

Harvested our one and only apple from the dwarf tree, today. Red Windsor variety and very tasty is was, too.

Hoping for more next year...

I'm intrigued, how big a tree is this, Notty?

It's about 4ft. We have 2 but, imo, both were over-pruned and one got a fungal infection (since cured). I think they'll take a few years to develop.

We also gave 2 dwarf pear trees but they dudn't flower this year. Hoping they will next.

Still have our crop of main spuds in the ground. Flowers just all about out now but leaves still green. Deck is coming out on the 13th so we will have to have them up by then

Picked half-a-dozen ripe tomatoes today and 3 small ripe yellow and orange peppers. They went in the salad for lunch. Hopefully going to grow our own salad next year.