Gardening thread | Page 24 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

I'm afraid to tell you that my green tomato chutney is quite widely appreciated. Or, at least, Mrs N. said "If I liked chutney, I'd like that". :lol:
Bah! That's an unusual way to give an opinion on something, I must say.

You can still have some of my banana-ginger chutney if you like, though. Nobody else wants it :lol:

The last few carrots and beetroot dug up today, plus I harvested the two tiny cauliflowers we had. Courgette plants unfortunately killed off by frost, though the actual courgettes on them were only monkey nut-size anyway. Not a good year for those.

We've recently finished a big revamp of our garden. We built a short, curving dry stone wall halfway down the left hand side of the garden to properly separate lawn and beds/trees, plus edged the bottom of the lawn with the same where it meets the patio outside the back door.

Where the long wall stops, we split-leveled by running it across the lawn and building 3 shirt steps in, so we have two smaller lawns now.

Also removed the old, decaying deck at the end of the garden/in front of the shed/pool room and replaced it with a patio of lovely rainbow slabs, some of them with mixed colours almost woodgrain-like in pattern.

Oh and we laid new turf, built a rockery and planted it with alpine succulents, bought a birdbath and added various new plants to the flowerbeds, like a new fuchsia.

And now I'm exhausted.

We've recently finished a big revamp of our garden. We built a short, curving dry stone wall halfway down the left hand side of the garden to properly separate lawn and beds/trees, plus edged the bottom of the lawn with the same where it meets the patio outside the back door.

Where the long wall stops, we split-leveled by running it across the lawn and building 3 shirt steps in, so we have two smaller lawns now.

Also removed the old, decaying deck at the end of the garden/in front of the shed/pool room and replaced it with a patio of lovely rainbow slabs, some of them with mixed colours almost woodgrain-like in pattern.

Oh and we laid new turf, built a rockery and planted it with alpine succulents, bought a birdbath and added various new plants to the flowerbeds, like a new fuchsia.

And now I'm exhausted.

Good effort.

Have been concentrating on the house for the last six months. Now completely rewired and replumbed, the toilets work and we have some carpets, which pleases the missus.

In the garden the lawn isn't too bad for its first year and the main border has been a riot of colour. The veggie patch has taken off and we are into new potatoes, lettuce and rocket. The wood mouse again had all the strawberries from the two plants. He/she is too cute to obliterate, and in any case I built him a home close by.

Cutting the hedge at the weekend I pulled out a nest with young in it!!! Hedge Sparrows, I think. Anyway I put it back in a more secure position and they are sitting again, thank goodness.

Have been concentrating on the house for the last six months. Now completely rewired and replumbed, the toilets work and we have some carpets, which pleases the missus.

In the garden the lawn isn't too bad for its first year and the main border has been a riot of colour. The veggie patch has taken off and we are into new potatoes, lettuce and rocket. The wood mouse again had all the strawberries from the two plants. He/she is too cute to obliterate, and in any case I built him a home close by.

Cutting the hedge at the weekend I pulled out a nest with young in it!!! Hedge Sparrows, I think. Anyway I put it back in a more secure position and they are sitting again, thank goodness.
Pleased you got away with the nest rehoming! Sounds like you've been busy inside too. Hope you get chance to enjoy some of your crops and they don't all get eaten!

White beetroot doing well, as are the yellow cucumber plants - should get a good few fruit from that. Just harvested a few potatoes too, not loads but enough given they were just in pots. Sunflowers are a very mixed bag - the best is over 6ft and peeking over the fence to say hello to the neighbours now!

Our sun flowers have been poor, too long in smallish pots probably. Potatoes have been great as has the lettuce and rocket. Beans coming on as are tomatoes. Everything needs some rain.

Planted some terracotta pots of herbs (basil, parsley, rocket) a couple of weeks ago and they seem happy enough so far. Am keeping fingers crossed though, as previous attempts to grow basil were embarrassingly unsuccessful...

We've had some lovely spuds and peas. Brussels got eaten by the caterpillars unfortunately. Netting didn't keep the cabbage whites off, lesson learned. More carrots, cabbage and cauliflowers on the go...

Yellow cucumber plants going mad currently, the fruits look more like melons than anything.
Second round of rocket has been decimated by caterpillars right as it was getting going.
Unintentional borage which popped up in the veg patch proving a very popular hangout with the local bees - which is exactly why I left it. Hoping to be able to move it elsewhere for next year so it can keep up the good work.

Finished the green beans, squash (the one plant) and last of the tomatoes this week. Just a few small courgettes and come celeriac to go.
The two apple trees still have a few left on them, the rest either eaten, given away or in storage.
Chafer Beetle has had a good go at the lawn. Anyone know of a cure?

Finished the green beans, squash (the one plant) and last of the tomatoes this week. Just a few small courgettes and come celeriac to go.
The two apple trees still have a few left on them, the rest either eaten, given away or in storage.
Chafer Beetle has had a good go at the lawn. Anyone know of a cure?
Not sure that there’s a current cure for the chafers Berks, apparently the old insecticide was banned by the EU. We had them a couple of years ago and the lawn does tend to recover. The worst part is when the crows start excavating to find them as they can completely wreck the lawn.
We had the Greenthumb guys for a while and they used something that is used on roses which is supposed to make the grass roots distasteful to them but we seem to have them back again.….crows haven’t found them yet!
edit. I think you can get traps to capture the adult June bugs when they emerge in the summer so may thin them out a bit