Forest vs Wigan: Match Fred sponsored by Lace Market Fish Bar, supplying battered goodness to the people of Nottingham | Page 11 | Vital Football

Forest vs Wigan: Match Fred sponsored by Lace Market Fish Bar, supplying battered goodness to the people of Nottingham

Try sitting through 90 minutes of it ORF. It was crap

I believe you. But I'll bet that you cheered 3 times at least. And I've seen enough football over the years to realize that we all see more crappy football than good, not just Forest either. I am friendly with a Man City supporter and thought at one stage that he was going to cut his throat, that was about 25 years ago. Now he's the happiest bloke for miles.
I don't think MON is the ideal manager either but if he's able to get us up I won't mind. Hope Keane stays away.
And there's degrees of crap too, you chaps who watched the game see parts of it in very different ways, you only have to read the thread to see that. That's one of the reasons I enjoy reading it.
But after all that it is obvious that it must have been hard work watching. In the old days though (I know) 3 points would have done the trick.

I am wondering what Martin has told them. It's a big change all of a sudden.

Has he actually told them this week that they are going direct?

"Right lads, in X situation I want you to lump it"? "If it doubt, kick it out"?

Or has he just told the players to play freely, and what we are seeing is the release of some of Karanka and Warburton's prohibitions, particularly those about having to play it out from the back? Is this style Martin's choice, or what the players choose to do naturally when they have no specific instructions?

What does concern me is that the 3 goals were all worldies really, and that is what it took for us to score. Wigan were so poor and we would have scored no goals against any better side as we would never have got those shooting chances.

On top of that, we never felt secure. Even 2 goals to the good with 10 and 5 minutes to go, it felt perfectly possible that if Wigan got one then the equaliser would follow.

Maybe he realises we don’t have the players to play consistently winning attacking football and it’s about playing a style which gets us results even if it’s ugly

Not great football , but short of the Leeds game, one of the more entertaining home games this season. Three goals from the edge/outside the box, and it was crap??

Take those seconds away from the 90 + minutes and yes, it was crap. A better team would have destroyed us

Maybe he realises we don’t have the players to play consistently winning attacking football and it’s about playing a style which gets us results even if it’s ugly

But we do. Theres teams above us that would love our players

Take those seconds away from the 90 + minutes and yes, it was crap. A better team would have destroyed us
I suspect Birmingham will destroy us.

I honestly can't see us putting up much resistance.

We won't be winning that game with tactical nous, that's for sure

The first half was absolutely terrible. Lolley's strike aside we created nowt of any kind and lumped it forward at every opportunity.
The second half was better, but still pretty turgid.

I'm still behind the manager and team...just don't agree at times, but that's my fault, I'm a good guy, my mum tells me often....will be on the bus next week to Brum hoping for more from the lads....

MON can see all his players every day in training but will only know what they are really capable of when they play in a real match. I think (hope?) that's why we've seen some of the shuffles and some of the fringe players getting a go against teams that we really should be beating.

Hopefully 3 or 4 players to come in next week (gonna need a CB at least with Fox foxing back off oop norf) and Carvalho and Grabban back in the side.

As for yesterday, I didn't see it or listen to commentary (and it's impossible to pick up too much from the as usual abbreviated 'highlights' on TV) but I'll take the win to keep us just about in touch with 6th place.

Normally agree with most of what you post on here but ...
O'Neill and Kean sides have not played nice football. Not when I have watched them at least. I don't want to see long balls lumped up to a thuggish target man and everyone hustle and bustle to pick up the scraps. It is the antithesis of how we played under clough. Wimbledon, Sheffield United et al used to play it against us to stop our creative midfielders from playing. Braun and effort over intelligent flowing football.

I don't want to see it.

I don't care if it is a management team consisting of the entire 78-79 squad, if we are going to play like Wimbledon and Millwall of old I don't want to watch. If they understand the legacy of this club they should at least nod towards it. I find MON's snidey comments about Carvalho to be repulsive.

I can see how this is going and I am not happy.

Looking at the Forest stats this season, I would guess it's us playing the thuggish football, not Millwall. There is a happy medium, but Millwall seem to be pretty skilled at what they do. I would rather see 20 decent crosses into the box with several people there to try and score, than some of the games I have seen this season where tippy tappy football has resulted in us not getting a single shot on target for the whole game.

To be honest, at this point in the season, as with every season in the last 4-5, I am more interested in us being 19 points clear of 22nd and within 8 points of the safety mark.

The football was archaic, the execution dubious and the result more to do with the opposition than our own ability.

But I could accept that this will be a work in progress. I could accept that we needed to be more gritty and focus more on attacking. The amount of actual attacking we did under Karanka was negligible; most of our games were spent in just passing around.

I could accept all of this if I believed that O'Neill would be given a few seasons to do this properly.

But he won't. We know he wont. He'll pull up the whole garden, flowers as well as the weeds, and he'll get the sack before any seeds he might plant have the slightest chance to shoot through the empty soil.

In that sense, I am slowly starting to accept that we might need new owners more than a new manager. Nothing against the committment or organisation, but no one is going to come to THIS club and perform a miracle. We could wait 20 years and that not happen, or we could stick with a good manager like Karanka (Or MON) and watch it happen in 4-5

Not game related but have you read the Guardian sport today, if County leave the league, there's strong evidence that we are the oldest league club, because records have been found that Stoke didn't join till 1868 ..good read lads if you've got 5 mins

Not game related but have you read the Guardian sport today, if County leave the league, there's strong evidence that we are the oldest league club, because records have been found that Stoke didn't join till 1868 ..good read lads if you've got 5 mins
I've been saying this for years.

There has never been a scrap of evidence for Stoke existing before us. Phil Soar even said so in the late 90's in his excellent history of forest.

Even if they did, it was a different club.

It is high time forest as a club asserted ourselves as the second oldest club, especially if Notts go down.

The lazy national media will just keep saying Stoke because they don't care. We need to assert our claim.with the evidence and change that, as it is a big selling point

But we do. Theres teams above us that would love our players

Really who. Which of the teams would have spent 13 m for carvalho, perhaps taken goncalves or Dias . Only one you could seriously argue for is lolley. Grabban not sure which of the top 6 would be regularly playing him instead of their other strikers. I think we have yet again been guilty of overestimating the players brought in

What does concern me is that the 3 goals were all worldies really, and that is what it took for us to score. Wigan were so poor and we would have scored no goals against any better side as we would never have got those shooting chances.

On top of that, we never felt secure. Even 2 goals to the good with 10 and 5 minutes to go, it felt perfectly possible that if Wigan got one then the equaliser would follow.

There were three great goals, and it probably won't happen again. Wigan were poor, but the reason we had chance to shoot was that we had FOUR midfielders backing up Murphy. At one point it was Colback running round their back four, like a striker normally does . Leeds excepted, he would normally get a nosebleed if he crossed the halfway line. The 4-1-4-1 left a gap behind our midfield that a better team would have exploited, but it also gave us more options going forwards.

Watson played very well. Pants had a great second half and when we did get the ball down and play we looked okay. Guediouras pass and goal were great and we got more out of our midfielders. Cash is annoying but starting to get that habit of scoring. Lolley looked like he enjoyed the match and worked hard against their best player - their right back- also mON coaching the players in the game was good to see. In second half he helped Osborn enpurmosly with positioning. For too long we have pandered to tilla tala football that has got us nowhere. This is the championship. We need winning football. The Preston game for example - we were pleasing on the W yes and played some great stuff but ended up losing 1-0