Forest vs Wigan: Match Fred sponsored by Lace Market Fish Bar, supplying battered goodness to the people of Nottingham | Page 10 | Vital Football

Forest vs Wigan: Match Fred sponsored by Lace Market Fish Bar, supplying battered goodness to the people of Nottingham

MON and Roy Keane both played for Brian Clough here, and both rate him as the best manager ever. Who would I trust with his legacy - them or you?
Normally agree with most of what you post on here but ...
O'Neill and Kean sides have not played nice football. Not when I have watched them at least. I don't want to see long balls lumped up to a thuggish target man and everyone hustle and bustle to pick up the scraps. It is the antithesis of how we played under clough. Wimbledon, Sheffield United et al used to play it against us to stop our creative midfielders from playing. Braun and effort over intelligent flowing football.

I don't want to see it.

I don't care if it is a management team consisting of the entire 78-79 squad, if we are going to play like Wimbledon and Millwall of old I don't want to watch. If they understand the legacy of this club they should at least nod towards it. I find MON's snidey comments about Carvalho to be repulsive.

I can see how this is going and I am not happy.

20 million left on the bench in the championship, top scorer in the league with the best midfielder stats wise left to watch inferior players try and do their job ....3-1 to Forest ....same again next week then Martin ..
Yep that's the problem.
Let's hope we can pull out three 25 yarders that all happen to go in again.

You cant sweep aside the style of play just because they played for Brian Clough. if thats the case, can Ray McKinnon and Lee Glover manage us next please? Or since hes in the game, maybe Zico Rice and Phil Starbuck?

See, there you go again. You know better than legends like MON and Roy Keane - they're bound to serve up awful football.

Says who? Maybe give them a few games before writing them off!
I saw the team today before the game and knew exactly how we would play. I think I remember just once Pants rolled out the ball to play from the back. Pantillimon has never launched the ball as much in the last five games as he did today. It was horrible to watch.

O'Neill and Kean sides have not played nice football. Not when I have watched them at least. I don't want to see long balls lumped up to a thuggish target man and everyone hustle and bustle to pick up the scraps. It is the antithesis of how we played under clough. Wimbledon, Sheffield United et al used to play it against us to stop our creative midfielders from playing. Braun and effort over intelligent flowing football.

I don't want to see it.

I don't care if it is a management team consisting of the entire 78-79 squad, if we are going to play like Wimbledon and Millwall of old I don't want to watch. If they understand the legacy of this club they should at least nod towards it. I find MON's snidey comments about Carvalho to be repulsive.

Spot on. What comments?

I don't want to see it.

The thing is, I watched us under Clough and while it was sometimes electrifying there were also games where we struggled and looked mediocre. The golden glow of nostalgia pretends we always played magical football then, but it was based on pragmatic foundations (like Lloyd and Burns at CB!)

The promotion season contained lots of goals from long balls to Withe, who headed into the path of Woodcock who was lightning fast and usually smacked it into the net. Withe wasn't 'thuggish', but neither is Murphy. That's where we are now, trying to get promotion from the second tier.

I love Carvalho and the style AK was trying for, but we were starting to lose out against average Championship sides. If a slightly more direct style gets us promoted I won't mind.

The thing is, I watched us under Clough and while it was sometimes electrifying there were also games where we struggled and looked mediocre. The golden glow of nostalgia pretends we always played magical football then, but it was based on pragmatic foundations (like Lloyd and Burns at CB!)

The promotion season contained lots of goals from long balls to Withe, who headed into the path of Woodcock who was lightning fast and usually smacked it into the net. Withe wasn't 'thuggish', but neither is Murphy. That's where we are now, trying to get promotion from the second tier.

I love Carvalho and the style AK was trying for, but we were starting to lose out against average Championship sides. If a slightly more direct style gets us promoted I won't mind.
It won’t though Pebble (last sentence) we were shooting from distance today, because there was no one in the box, and the forward we had on the pitch (I know you disagree) couldn’t be arsed to get himself there.

It won’t though Pebble (last sentence) we were shooting from distance today, because there was no one in the box, and the forward we had on the pitch (I know you disagree) couldn’t be arsed to get himself there.
But that doesn't fairly represent the first half. We had at least 3 or 4 attacks where we played short passes to the edge of the box or deep into the box, but we didn't score from them because the passes weren't accurate.

We were failing to score because we tried to overplay with a poor final ball - the story of not just this season but many others lately. The shots from outside the box weren't desperation at no-one being in the box - they were a valid alternative whose use was vindicated in spades.

How this shit got to double figures I will never know

Cracking thread though chap well done!

Look forward to the next that YOU will be doing. You're our lucky mascot you bestest tinker mate

It's a shame we didn't lose chap as this would have had potential for 20 pages with plenty of "his shit" and "season's over".

Fingers crossed for next time!!

It is a surprising line up but we haven't kicked off yet! Let's see..

3 cheers for an open mind. It's late in the day (Sunday) here and I know the result but haven't had the chance yet to read the thread. This is as far as i've got. It's a bit of a laugh to see how fast depression sets in, but does remind me of the number of times players have changed their lives under different managers. I'm not suggesting that's what's happening here but you never know, it's not a bad start considering how little time MON has had with his players, could be that he sees something that the rest of us have missed. Rebuilding's going to take time in any case, much too early to get carried away, just hope there's some cash in the kitty for a bit of new blood.

Good post Letchworth.