Football and Social Media | Page 6 | Vital Football

Football and Social Media

If I had to pick only one thing to be upset about it wouldn't be that. How fortunate then that we don't have to only be concerned about the single most serious issue in the world and forget everything else.

Yes, mods, I know, I know.

Other clubs all suck.

Perhaps there are more serious things going on in the world than people getting "abused" on social media.
Name-calling FFS and there are people starving to death in countries, being murdered, don't we just love out first world problems like multi millionaire footballers being called names.

You're right but if you extrapolate that into the context of why some parts of the world are so bad just like you're saying. You can trace it back to that racism and love of the empire shite.

You have to think about it, there are thousands of racist tweets coming from thousands of people. Those people are out in society and probably at various levels of work and even positions of power. They think they're superior to black folk and other minorities and foreigners. That's the same energy that had parts of Europe plus African and Asia conquered.

There's a strong chance one of those people is a teacher, doctor, nurse, and so on. In the grand scheme and the big picture, it does seem small. However when I look at it and start to build out the lives of these people posting this shit. I start seeing how those people are integrated into our society and where they fit into this world.

I really do think some of these small issues cause the big issues.

You're right but if you extrapolate that into the context of why some parts of the world are so bad just like you're saying. You can trace it back to that racism and love of the empire shite.

You have to think about it, there are thousands of racist tweets coming from thousands of people. Those people are out in society and probably at various levels of work and even positions of power. They think they're superior to black folk and other minorities and foreigners. That's the same energy that had parts of Europe plus African and Asia conquered.

There's a strong chance one of those people is a teacher, doctor, nurse, and so on. In the grand scheme and the big picture, it does seem small. However when I look at it and start to build out the lives of these people posting this shit. I start seeing how those people are integrated into our society and where they fit into this world.

I really do think some of these small issues cause the big issues.

I actually think keeping on highlighting it helps keep it going, it's a bit like when you bite they carry on, If you ignore them they don't bother.
We all get abuse, I get it because I'm old or fat, just goes in one ear and out the other. Sticks and stones as they say

Social media is just a platform for abuse. I just seen Ivan Toney's tweet celebrating promotion and every second reply is someone telling him he's crap. Michelle Owen has been called all sorts of things, and I'm sure loads of other women have been too. It's non-stop abuse thrown at everybody. It's an experiment gone very wrong, much like we are.

It's not a criminal offence to be fat though. Not calling it out will simply see it continue and fester.

It's not a criminal offence to be fat though. Not calling it out will simply see it continue and fester.
I think you meant to say being called fat isn't a criminal offence. Point taken, However, @Villan57 has a point, in that the more it is highlighted and not actually punished the more it will continue... These morons on social media live for the "likes" and "re-tweets" and "going viral". When they see the take-a-knee campaign and posting black squares on instagram they are actually achieving their aims of garnering more attention and turning it into a national debate, all the while feeling invincible and giggling to themselves like the pathetic little twerps they are.....

Works either way as both are true.

I get 57's point, but a law is a law, we can't ignore it because it's more convenient and then whatabout to something that isn't a law. You are spot on in the comment, but I think we are slowly seeing the change - in some ways the fact arseholes are racist no longer shocks anyone, but there is now a growing 'shock' at the lack of action being taken by these companies.

This is where a bit of whataboutary works - JF's post above about hanging - why is that less offensive than an LBT crack, criticising Israel and claiming antisemitism for a valid point about there behaviour, how it is different anti Islam sentiment etc.

Why does a crackpot like Hopkins get booted but social media seem happy for racist death threats to be sent and so on....it's the total lack of consistency and what they want to choose to hide behind 'freedom of speech' on.

When the bottom line is, you operate in this country, you follow and act on our rules, not your arbitrary ones - but the Gov don't seem to have thought of that.

But again, I make a distance between those actively fighting for change and then those enjoying the PR supposedly fighting for change brings - and just as the racist arsewipes should be banned, so should the militant shitstirrers who by their very own words, aren't interested in equality.

Well this is good, and hopefully shows the way. If you're going to be a twat on social media then you can pay the price. £10,000 fine or 2 year prison sentence should be the punishment for all abuse (clearly defined).

A Singaporean man has pleaded guilty to sending death threats to Premier League footballer Neal Maupay.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-57326901

That's a punishment but what a twat, so hard you can only threaten somebody in another country!

Why can someone in Singapore get done ? yet I don't hear of anyone in the country taken to trial.
Maybe the law is different - don't know, just a guess but some of the laws in South East Asia are pretty draconian by Western standards.

Where did the offence take place then ? I have no idea how these things work with social media.

I'm assuming we tracked, contacted and asked extradite or charge yourselves and they chose the latter.

But that's a guess. Would depend on any arrangements with Singapore as technically the offence was in both places.

Similar happened to me. I had a go about the protestors in London a few weeks ago saying if we got a spike in infections over the next 2 weeks that we know who caused it. Got a 12 hour suspension, not that it bothered me.