Football and Social Media | Page 5 | Vital Football

Football and Social Media

Holteenders.com was a bit wild as you could choose another teams forum from the drop down and be posting shit about them within a few clicks. I joined as a teenager so I dread to think what I was posting if I looked back. Glad we’ve all matured for the better :whist:

Holteenders.com was a bit wild as you could choose another teams forum from the drop down and be posting shit about them within a few clicks. I joined as a teenager so I dread to think what I was posting if I looked back. Glad we’ve all matured for the better :whist:

To be honest mate, nothing sticks in my memory about you having a meltdown or anything like that - probably one of the few that that didn't in fairness lol Decently well natured apart from invasions in the main, even from our regular oppos.

To be honest mate, nothing sticks in my memory about you having a meltdown or anything like that - probably one of the few that that didn't in fairness lol Decently well natured apart from invasions in the main, even from our regular oppos.

No, I don’t think I did and to be fair the bluenoses on there were half decent (I know). I suspect we all made jokes on some things or topics more frowned upon these days, similar to BB’s example above.

Was a decent group in the main and plenty of different characters, but undoubtedly different times we'd have all made different acceptable jokes back then both at each other, and wider society - but you move with the times don't you, that's all you can ask people.

My only abiding memory of trouble was invasions swearing like troopers and seeing how far they could go before being banned, but then I knew it didn't matter how far they went, I was already working through banning from the beginning regardless lol

The law change on active moderation/post moderation was a godsend for the likes of me as when something happened I didn't have to drop 'life' and just deal with it, even if that meant cleaning up at 2/3am. But along with that sadly, plenty of others have taken the fact something doesn't go immediately as being proof it's acceptable - so post moderation doesn't serve as a warning as the idiots never go back and check anyway.

Last edited:
I remember being spoofed on the Villa official site, sounds funny but really wasn't, as the spoof was being a really nasty bastard then others were saying 'I didn't Fear was like that'... at a time you are trying to build a reputation/site etc, it was pretty damaging and it took a legal threat to get them to listen when I complained, as opposed to good moderation.

The Friends Reunited bollocks with the VFC as well which I'd long forgotten about - at least they reacted in fairness to them.

Sterling and Walker both racially abused after last night game. It no longer comes as a surprise.. So sad.

Sterling and Walker both racially abused after last night game. It no longer comes as a surprise.. So sad.

Yep.

However, if on my daily dog walk I went past a house where someone was shouting abuse to me everytime I went past despite how shit it is, how frustrating it is I would go another way.

I don't understand why these players don't make a stand and not use these platforms .

Yep.

However, if on my daily dog walk I went past a house where someone was shouting abuse to me everytime I went past despite how shit it is, how frustrating it is I would go another way.

I don't understand why these players don't make a stand and not use these platforms .

Or even just stick your fingers in your ears and walk on by

A true stand would be an indefinite exiting of these platforms. That would force more change. However they're good revenue source for these players so they'd never do that.

Because they shouldn't fucking have to?
I think we all get that mate but there are lots of things in life we shouldn't have to do but if we don't we won't survive. We should be able to walk through Brum at night alone but you'd be an idiot to do it, get beaten to a pulp then moan about it

I don't use Twitter but I'm sure there must be a way of blocking/ignoring people you aren't connected to.

It's the same thing as Rashford went through. It's like they know what's in there but they go looking for it anyway and then get all surprised when they find what they knew was going to be there.

I'm not saying that it's right that they get racist abuse.

Still, when I get DMs from people I don't know on IG, I ignore them.

I don't use Twitter but I'm sure there must be a way of blocking/ignoring people you aren't connected to.

It's the same thing as Rashford went through. It's like they know what's in there but they go looking for it anyway and then get all surprised when they find what they knew was going to be there.

I'm not saying that it's right that they get racist abuse.

Still, when I get DMs from people I don't know on IG, I ignore them.

You can set it not to receive DMs as well.

I think we all get that mate but there are lots of things in life we shouldn't have to do but if we don't we won't survive. We should be able to walk through Brum at night alone but you'd be an idiot to do it, get beaten to a pulp then moan about it
I can't believe you think it's okay to be like "Sorry black folks, social media isn't for you, unless you're okay with being called a n***** all the time". The big social media companies have an almost total monopoly on the public sphere these days, and being forced off them means missing out on a large piece of modern public life, so I'd say it's actually a lot more like not being able to walk through Brum during the day because you were black. Just simply not an acceptable situation that wouldn't be allowed to continue.

Black people aren't idiots for receiving racist abuse.

Players, full stop, used to be sensible enough not to be on social media because of what is bound to follow - people blowing smoke up their arse one minute, slating them the next.

But yes, the social media companies owe a duty of care, but don't care.

Forget the thread now, but I reported something vile recently on facebook and it didn't fall below their rules.

People should be allowed to be on those places without abuse, racial, or otherwise, but especially Twitter, you can't be. It is a cesspit really.

This was what facebook deemed acceptable:

1622382490540.png

I can't believe you think it's okay to be like "Sorry black folks, social media isn't for you, unless you're okay with being called a n***** all the time". The big social media companies have an almost total monopoly on the public sphere these days, and being forced off them means missing out on a large piece of modern public life, so I'd say it's actually a lot more like not being able to walk through Brum during the day because you were black. Just simply not an acceptable situation that wouldn't be allowed to continue.

Black people aren't idiots for receiving racist abuse.

I don't give a shit what colour people are, to be honest, but people of any colour should be able to do things without getting abused but the sad fact of life reality isn't like that it never has been and never will be.
In an Idyllic world perhaps.

Perhaps there are more serious things going on in the world than people getting "abused" on social media.
Name-calling FFS and there are people starving to death in countries, being murdered, don't we just love out first world problems like multi millionaire footballers being called names.