Football and Social Media | Page 4 | Vital Football

Football and Social Media

If it was more than a weekend, it might affect their bottom line. We all know that the bottom line is sacred.

It's another empty gesture designed for headlines rather than effect.

Exactly, no doubt 3/4 days and these companies will notice the drop off but it's not going to panic them. Going longer gets into panic territory ergo more likely to do something.

Pointless gesture.

I tested facebook the other day. Someone had posted (and forgive the slur, but it is salient) that Lewis Hamilton was a gay boy. (I mean, ffs, in this day and age, really?).... so I reported it to see what happens.

I was told it didn't fall below their minimum standards but that I could block the poster (he was just on the same thread, so no need to block)

So I appealed it and again, it got turned down.

If we got the same thing on Vital, and it was alerted, it would 100% be removed and the poster would be warned of future conduct, or if - after reading other posts by the user - had a history, removed.

This way, takes time and effort though!

And we don't have a dedicated department either!

Man, that Football365 forum was wild back in the day. You didn't need to register, just put in a username and off you went. Two people could have the same username so there were lots of pranks of people impersonating other people. There were straight up racists and all sorts spouting shit on there. Some of it was hilarious too. One guy started a campaign about Liverpool being denied a penalty. He started sending long-winded emails about the horrendous injustice to all kinds of celebrities. Some of them even replied. There were lots of rumours about players and people claiming all sorts of stuff. Johnny Vegas was on there too, bizarrely.

At the time there people coming on chatting in Arabic and then disappearing. After 9/11 it was mentioned in the press that they had used forums to communicate with each other.

After Sky took over Football365, they seemed to be freaked out by the wild nature of the forum. They immediately required users to register an account and then had moderators reading the posts. A lot of people got banned or quit around that time. The forum kind of settled down into a more serious, football-focused place.

Shortly after Sky has civilised the forum, there were a load of super-injunctions. I think Ryan Giggs was involved in at least one. You could always find someone claiming to be IDK about that stuff. Rumours started flying about a gay footballer coming out. The moderators were watching those kinds of threads like hawks. A lot of people said it was Freddie Ljungberg from Arsenal but you couldn't directly say it. I started a thread entitled Gay Footballer Revealed. When you opened the thread you had to click on something else to reveal a picture of Justin Fashanu (an openly gay deceased footballer). I got banned. I appealed the ridiculous ban but it was rejected. I could have signed in with a different email address but I couldn't be arsed. Sky had already killed the crazy nature of the beast.

I think the gay footballer was Sol Campbell but Max Clifford spun it that Sol had 3 women on the go at the same time and that's why he couldn't play for Arsenal, or something.