Fans owned club | Page 5 | Vital Football

Fans owned club

I read about the shirt presents lancs. What a brilliant idea and what a way to get those kids asking to be taken to games. I was going to post the story on here and then decided whats the point.

If I don't it will save people repling with how we couldn't possibly do something like that, etc etc.

Good on Blackpool. Not so long ago they were a club in crisis with falling gates, protests etc.

Now look at them. Still there is absolutely no hope that anyone would buy a provisional team in a deprived area is there.
There’s one part of the Blackpool story that gets strangely overlooked. Their first promotion on their recent rise involved a play off win at Wembley. It was very poorly attended by Blackpool supporters because they were boycotting the club because the Oyston’s were still in charge. Of course that doesn’t fit the narrative of new owner - instant success does it.

Unless Scally has had a 40 year career in local government for the most part dealing in large projects for new, enlarged and improved school buildings that he’s kept very quiet about, I think you might be mistaken. It’s perhaps my experience with these projects that gets me riled when people think there’s some simple path to getting a new ground because some clubs have managed it. It’s also nonsense to suggest that a new ground has been ”promised” by Scally. It’s a clearly stated ambition and I’ve never read anything to suggest that it’s more than that.
My post was only tongue-in-cheek, I nearly added a smiley but thought it was obvious. Not sure why you go on to talk about the new stadium, but my thoughts are that If the new ground isn’t going to happen, it would be good to have a Plan B of updating the Town End, although I believe the planning permission has lapsed for that stand.

There’s one part of the Blackpool story that gets strangely overlooked. Their first promotion on their recent rise involved a play off win at Wembley. It was very poorly attended by Blackpool supporters because they were boycotting the club because the Oyston’s were still in charge. Of course that doesn’t fit the narrative of new owner - instant success does it.
A Pompey fan commented that in his eyes, Gills have had 26 years of stability in comparison to them, nearly going out of business on a few occasions and huge debts.
He finished with be careful what you wish for.
Wise man ?

A Pompey fan commented that in his eyes, Gills have had 26 years of stability in comparison to them, nearly going out of business on a few occasions and huge debts.
Wise man ?

One thing that heartens me, a few of the discussion forum guys have been on L1 forums pleading with opposition fans. Basically to boycott our games, not buy things in the ground, boo and otherwise get behind their cause. ie they want others to run our club into the ground.

But they are getting some grief from a lot of people (not all of them) saying exactly the same as the Pompey fan. And pointing out there are many more clubs worse off and all teams are struggling with finances.

Wise man ?

That is very, very true but it comes back to whether we are looking forwards or backwards. We have had relative financial stability with Scally. The question is what direction are we heading in and can he reverse it. ?

My answer is down and no. That's why I support change. We may get it wrong but doing nothing will end up with a slow decline and I believe the same outcome of administration.

This discussion ends in us talking at cross purposes. Put aside thoughts of demos and campaigns against the club; none of us are likely to join either. I don't think any of the posts on hear are indicative that the poster regards themself as in an active campaign to get rid of the chairman. I'd go further and say that I don't believe that action by fans would, or could get rid of the current chairman. All that is a bit beside the point.

We are divided over how capable the current chairman is of turning things round and leading the club in a progressive direction. That's a fair debate to have and doesn't require us to "be careful what we wish for", or to suggest that any criticism is somehow disloyal. For what it's worth I find some of markinkent's arguments persuasive and Scally himself doesn't believe he can do it alone. I wouldn't however write Scally off because he has pulled rabbits out the hat before and if he hangs on long enough reform may help clubs like ours.

I have too much invested and too little time left to see the first lower division FA Cup winners. My ST for next year is certain, just the location to consider.

I'm struggling to understand the point you are making and I really want to as I am really interested in your views. We are miles apart on Scally Waldo and that's why I am more interested in your perspective than those of people I may agree with.

My point of Blackpool is that they are yet another example where a change of ownership led to improved attendances, led to more success and an upwards trajectory.

The fact that achieved promotion from the 2nd to the 1st division while fans were boycotting under the oystons is interesting but I'm not sure what point you are making. If you are arguing that they could have gone on to have the same success they have now with fans boycotting then fair enough. We will never know. I'd argue a united club is always more likely to have success, especially in the lower leagues.

It’s perhaps my experience with these projects that gets me riled when people think there’s some simple path to getting a new ground because some clubs have managed it. It’s also nonsense to suggest that a new ground has been ”promised” by Scally. It’s a clearly stated ambition and I’ve never read anything to suggest that it’s more than that.

no one argues its easy and simple but there is lots of evidence of people achieving it so it is not impossible. If it was impossible then we are right to challenge why has he spent so long, at great financial expense to the club travelling the earth hunting for the investors.

I'm not sure I have even seen anyone post "he promised" like a spoilt child. Its Scally himself who continued to push the new ground as the only way forward for the club. That's a bit more than an ambition.

I'm struggling to understand the point you are making and I really want to as I am really interested in your views. We are miles apart on Scally Waldo and that's why I am more interested in your perspective than those of people I may agree with.

My point of Blackpool is that they are yet another example where a change of ownership led to improved attendances, led to more success and an upwards trajectory.

The fact that achieved promotion from the 2nd to the 1st division while fans were boycotting under the oystons is interesting but I'm not sure what point you are making. If you are arguing that they could have gone on to have the same success they have now with fans boycotting then fair enough. We will never know. I'd argue a united club is always more likely to have success, especially in the lower leagues.

I think Waldo means that the narrative at Blackpool was they were in terminal decline. Then a knight in shining armour arrived and everything went up.

What actually happened was that (on the pitch at least) things were already going up.

I'm not sure I have even seen anyone post "he promised" like a spoilt child. Its Scally himself who continued to push the new ground as the only way forward for the club. That's a bit more than an ambition.

What? The SOB literally post on f/b and Twitter that same boring banner every day saying “broken promises” and back it up by pointing to the new stadium being one of those. You might not see it, but every.single.one says “he promised a new stadium and we are still waiting”. Boring AF.

no one argues its easy and simple but there is lots of evidence of people achieving it so it is not impossible. If it was impossible then we are right to challenge why has he spent so long, at great financial expense to the club travelling the earth hunting for the investors.

You can’t have seen the Scally out mob who consistently list the new ground as a ‘broken promise’.

You can’t have seen the Scally out mob who consistently list the new ground as a ‘broken promise’.

What? The SOB literally post on f/b and Twitter that same boring banner every day saying “broken promises” and back it up by pointing to the new stadium being one of those. You might not see it, but every.single.one says “he promised a new stadium and we are still waiting”. Boring AF.

I thought you meant on this board. Yep I agree the SOB group have said that constantly if that is what you are referring to.

I think they mean the self service pumps in the factory though ;-)

I think Waldo means that the narrative at Blackpool was they were in terminal decline. Then a knight in shining armour arrived and everything went up.

What actually happened was that (on the pitch at least) things were already going up.

So the argument is Blackpool would be where they are today had the Oystons stayed and the fans protest remained ?

Really ? If you look at the big picture view you really believe that a new owner at Blackpool wasn't the main reason for their current upward trajectory ?

If we had a miraculous change in luck and nicked the last playoff spot and went to Wembley, there would be about forty thousand there.
It’s all about the team, results and what happens on the pitch.
The chairman is irrelevant if the team is successful in my opinion.

Yet even if we won and gained promotion to the championship we wouldn't sell out our first home game in August. 40k every ten or so years for a day out doesn't mean anything.

I think they mean the self service pumps in the factory though ;-)

This is what pisses me off. I swear people are intentionally looking for things to criticise.

Does anyone really care about self-service pumps. Fuck no. As long as your glass is full, who cares whether it’s served by a barmaid or an automatic pump? But it’s a great opportunity for certain folk to moan about PS.

Before this season, certain people were moaning about online ticketing not being introduced. Does anyone really care? As long as you can buy a ticket, what’s the problem. But it’s a great opportunity for certain folk to moan about PS. The very same people are now amongst those people who are moaning that it has been introduced!

Does anyone really care about Whitney Night? PS tries to promote it to bring some money in to the club which is great. Then he’s constantly trolled about it. Another great opportunity for certain folk to moan about PS.

Everyone will agree that there wasn’t enough communication coming from the club. PS brings in regular letter and videos. His presentation is awful but some of the content is good. But a certain group see it as a great opportunity to moan about PS.

You get the point by now, I hope. The Scally Out Brigade should work out what they really want to achieve and a roadmap for making it happen; rather than being petty about BMWs, comms, Whitney, in-line ticketing and self-service pumps. It’s tantamount to bullying!

This is what pisses me off. I swear people are intentionally looking for things to criticise.

Does anyone really care about self-service pumps. Fuck no. As long as your glass is full, who cares whether it’s served by a barmaid or an automatic pump? But it’s a great opportunity for certain folk to moan about PS.

Before this season, certain people were moaning about online ticketing not being introduced. Does anyone really care? As long as you can buy a ticket, what’s the problem. But it’s a great opportunity for certain folk to moan about PS. The very same people are now amongst those people who are moaning that it has been introduced!

Does anyone really care about Whitney Night? PS tries to promote it to bring some money in to the club which is great. Then he’s constantly trolled about it. Another great opportunity for certain folk to moan about PS.

Everyone will agree that there wasn’t enough communication coming from the club. PS brings in regular letter and videos. His presentation is awful but some of the content is good. But a certain group see it as a great opportunity to moan about PS.

You get the point by now, I hope. The Scally Out Brigade should work out what they really want to achieve and a roadmap for making it happen; rather than being petty about BMWs, comms, Whitney, in-line ticketing and self-service pumps. It’s tantamount to bullying!

The whole self service pumps and Whitney nights are a bit of fun Trash bat. No one really cares but they are symptomatic of someone who promises but doesn't deliver. How are the 6 levels of supporters clubs coming a along ? I don't really care but again - much hype and promise and delivery currently zilch.

I struggle with yours and others claims that the SOB don't know what they want. They want him gone. They want him to sell the club to someone else.

Easier said than done but that's what they want. They really couldn't be any clearer. To make that happen they want him to reduce his valuation of the business to enable the sale to take place.

I want £5M for my house. It won't happen, it won't sell and I can keep saying I speak to vendors all the time but no one suitable has come along meaning no one has reached my valuation. If I changed the price to £500K it would be gone tomorrow.

The SOB want a new owner with fresh ideas and the resources to take the club forwards not backwards. Why is it that hard to understand that. You don't have to agree with it but to keep saying you don't understand it is hard to believe.

I do agree that its tantamount to bullying though - that said both sides have crossed that line.

Yet even if we won and gained promotion to the championship we wouldn't sell out our first home game in August. 40k every ten or so years for a day out doesn't mean anything.
What did the Club do to retain the interest of even part of those 40,000 ?
Where was the marketing - the reminders to the less committed of when Gills were at Home ?

And IIRC, that was around the same time that obstacles for casual fans grew.
a) extra ££ for pay on day
b) only one sales point (the Ticket Office)
c) given a) and b), a phone system at the T.O. that would either have one permanently queuing (always "you are second in the queue") or cut one off after 20 minutes or so.
Pls Note; Once through, staff were overwhelmingly helpful.(y)

What did the Club do to retain the interest of even part of those 40,000 ?
Where was the marketing - the reminders to the less committed of when Gills were at Home ?

And IIRC, that was around the same time that obstacles for casual fans grew.
a) extra ££ for pay on day
b) only one sales point (the Ticket Office)
c) given a) and b), a phone system at the T.O. that would either have one permanently queuing (always "you are second in the queue") or cut one off after 20 minutes or so.
Pls Note; Once through, staff were overwhelmingly helpful.(y)
Some of these are damned if you do, dammed if you don’t.

(a) Extra on the day is just another way of saying discount for buying early depending on whether you want to be negative or positive.
(b) how big would a club need to be to have more than one sales point ? That does seem unrealistic.
(c) What phone system doesn’t require queuing ? GP, Virginmedia, Tax Office, Fridge Freezer repair line have all recently had me waiting longer than 40 minutes also with issues of being cut off.

People used to complain that pay on the day led to major queues at the ticket office with people missing the kick off. Now you seem to be saying we should have the same system because otherwise we put off casual punters. The other problem affecting everything is that so many suggestions require more staff that we can’t get because of staffing issues. That’s clearly not just an issue affecting football. The club continues to advertise for staff on an almost continual basis.

The whole self service pumps and Whitney nights are a bit of fun Trash bat. No one really cares but they are symptomatic of someone who promises but doesn't deliver. How are the 6 levels of supporters clubs coming a along ? I don't really care but again - much hype and promise and delivery currently zilch.

I struggle with yours and others claims that the SOB don't know what they want. They want him gone. They want him to sell the club to someone else.

Easier said than done but that's what they want. They really couldn't be any clearer. To make that happen they want him to reduce his valuation of the business to enable the sale to take place.

I want £5M for my house. It won't happen, it won't sell and I can keep saying I speak to vendors all the time but no one suitable has come along meaning no one has reached my valuation. If I changed the price to £500K it would be gone tomorrow.

The SOB want a new owner with fresh ideas and the resources to take the club forwards not backwards. Why is it that hard to understand that. You don't have to agree with it but to keep saying you don't understand it is hard to believe.

I do agree that its tantamount to bullying though - that said both sides have crossed that line.
They want him to reduce his valuation when they have no idea what it actually is or whether anyone is interested at any price.
As I say, if Scally out, who in?
As it stands, it looks like he’s stuck with us and can’t shift the club.
Would the SOB be satisfied if Scally publicly announced that the business was for sale at £X amount and the first person to match that figure could have it without proving their motivation?