FA Cup - No Gordon Road for Gills | Page 4 | Vital Football

FA Cup - No Gordon Road for Gills

when a low crowd for a cup game is expected I fully support the idea of reducing the need for stewards, catering staff, cleaning staff, I do however think it would benefit from a unallocated seating arrangement so groups who want to, can sit together.

Burger me a sensible suggestion but I have no doubt there will be those who want to choose were to sit in advance

I hope that members of this board who are going to the game today have an entertaining afternoon. Tbh, I am reluctant to travel all the way down to Kent for a game seemingly treated by the club as a non-spectacle, that will likely be devoid of atmosphere - an element you could always bank on for a cup game.

when a low crowd for a cup game is expected I fully support the idea of reducing the need for stewards, catering staff, cleaning staff, I do however think it would benefit from a unallocated seating arrangement so groups who want to, can sit together.

That sometimes happens unofficially anyway. In other 'Medway Stand only' games where there are still a few scattered empty seats the noisy boys find a way of migrating together to get a decent core of voices that can spread across the stand. Hopefully we'll all be singing home this afternoon's performance.

I'm still not optimistic about what today's arrangement will do for the atmosphere- the executive boxes in the MS are wedged in between the two tiers and this stops any noise or singing from travelling up the stand. The only noise would usually come from the two or three blocks nearest the BMS (but that was in part because you were near enough to banter and bait the away fans).

Also, the GRS can create quite a din because of its shallow roof and because it's close to the pitch, so that will benefit Hartlepool today (even if they are bringing 500-600 fans).

I can only assume that the club have closed the Rainham End in part on the recommendation of the police, as well perhaps some misguided assumptions on matchday 'cost-savings'. Otherwise, why try to close the most popular stand on a match day and likely limit sales/income in the Factory? After all, most of us pass through the Factory as it's a relatively hassle-free mode of getting some amber nectar and then getting onto the RE concourse?

It seems to me like it's going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Lots of people will have been put off coming, and the club will say "See, we told you so. Nobody turned up anyway."

I'd like to know what the attendance is today. The atmosphere seems non-existent, and if that contributes to a flat performance and us going out of the competition, then the club management will have a lot to answer for.

Same as management in most places, I suppose. Knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.

If they are not pumped up they shouldn't be professional footballers.
Pathetic. We could do with a cup run given our Paint Pot, LC and league position.

The club can't have it both ways. Every other week, the they're saying "turn up and get behind the lads, it makes all the difference". This week they close half the ground down as if it was a reserve game, kill any chance of an atmosphere and make it as unattractive as possible for home fans, and write Hartlepool's team talk for them.

Oh well, I've heard it's nice up there on a Tuesday night at this time of year.

The club can't have it both ways. Every other week, the they're saying "turn up and get behind the lads, it makes all the difference". This week they close half the ground down as if it was a reserve game, kill any chance of an atmosphere and make it as unattractive as possible for home fans, and write Hartlepool's team talk for them.

Oh well, I've heard it's nice up there on a Tuesday night at this time of year.
That’s a shame as replay is on a Wednesday. ;)

Well Hartlepool did a Blackpool on us. Even as early s the 58th minute they were taking over a minute to take a throw in. As for going down injured, 5 of them I think, for about 4 minutes a go, it made me laugh when their player was so badly injured then got up to take the free kick. Substituted players not wanting to walk off and the referee adds on only 3 minutes, ffs, there were 5 substitutions - I thought they were a minute each. Another incident were we should have been given a penalty with the ball nowhere near the challenge.

Did it happen or not? The fact we were shit, as against Blackpool is irrelevant to what I was saying.

The game went the way that most of us expected having witnessed previous one stand library games. No atmosphere and players seemingly giving as much effort as the club towards getting to the next round.

What's needed is decent half time entertainment - hula girls, dwarf motorcyclists in steel cages, a dunkascally water tank and such like. Then they'd be beating a path...