Europe In Out Shake it all about | Page 4 | Vital Football

Europe In Out Shake it all about

lewis1980 - 22/2/2016 11:42

And my partner gets a little twitchy when I don't consider the Irish republic the same as France for instance, but I don't. Different relationship with different issues and history.

Well if your partner is from Cork it doesnt surprise me too much its not the rebel county for no reason, fine bunch of people though!

Some Irish people dont want to admit it but we need the UK and ensuring we retain our cooperation is massive for us. I think the UK will be fine outside of the EU and may even do a lot better. I'd like to see Ireland outside of it as an experiment but we are so small its difficult to say what would happen.

Luckily for us we have unique relationships with the UK and the USA and if there is one small country in the EU that could survive life outside of the EU it would be us.

Yeah Immigration is a deeply misunderstood political topic in most countries. I am all for freedom of movement but we cant all live in one place either. Population control is a necessary evil but creating unnecessary barriers is another mess as well. Eastern Europeans do a lot of jobs Irish wont do anymore much like many latinos in the US. Funnily enough to live in the US many Irish do what they wouldnt do at home.

Personally I feel immigrants a necessary and as always its the less than 1% that gets the focus.

BBJ - 22/2/2016 20:02

I'd say we were all European although I'm aware, having lived in England for a third of my adult life, many English people don't agree with the sentiment.
I wonder does the 2.2 million include the Irish?

That I don't know sir! Be nice to just have the exact figures on everything though, hopefully as we progress through this we'll get them in between all the rhetoric and bias.

from ONS:
The number of usual residents in the UK that held EU nationality (excluding British) was higher than those that held non-EU nationality (2,938,000 compared to 2,406,000)

versus ~ 1.3 mill plucky brits bringing culture to our continental chums
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/eu-referendum-how-many-uk-citizens-live-european-union-where-infographic-1526116

I, like so many other people am scared of change, so as it stands I'll be voting to stay in unless anyone can really come up with a compelling argument to leave that can convince me.

One danger of being in the EU is that we are fast becoming disaffected in the same way that many Scots are in the UK. Scotland have never voted a Tory majority and yet have been saddled with Tory governments on numerous occasions. Now the same can be said for many other regions but Scotland is not just a small region, it's an entire country, I'm not surprised that some want out so they can practice the self determination that international convention affords them. As far as I can see, we are in exactly the same situation with Europe, more and more decisions being taken by people we have no connection to and seemingly no accountability. If people are disaffected now, how will this progress as more and more power becomes centralised in Brussels?

For me odd bods in Brussels or the old school tie establishment of whitehall... not really bothered due to the nature of the ruling elite of this country

In 2020 it looks like Turkey will become a member of the EU. This is on thing that could flood the EU more than anything. I dread to think how many fish and chip and kebab shops will open. Lets keep our take aways British.

Do not suppose we will hear much reasoned argument going to be the same old alarmist screaming match,with self interest the top of the pile. Cameron tells his cabinet to keep it courteous during the debate then lays into Boris all guns blazing first chance he gets lol. And that once famous anti marketeer Corbyn is now pro europe you couldnt make this shit up. Tony Benn must be looking down laughing his bollocks off.

Tonight there was an open forum in Dartmouth, our local MP Sarah Wollaston (or twat if you know her) chaired the open meeting.

The guy who was working as building manager tonight put out 100 chairs, then put out another 100 chairs and was amazed to see people still piling in and standing room only....

Blah Blah bollocks bollocks until it concluded at around 9PM.

Just before fucking off back to Totnes the MP asked for a show of hands on staying in Europe about 6 hands went up, leave Europe and the other 99% went up, apparently the look on her face was fucking priceless.

If our little town is a snapshot of the older generation (managers words not mine) then the vote to leave will be a fucking landslide :62:

col8 - 26/2/2016 22:24
Blah Blah bollocks bollocks until it concluded at around 9PM.

Just before fucking off back to Totnes the MP asked for a show of hands on staying in Europe about 6 hands went up, leave Europe and the other 99% went up, apparently the look on her face was fucking priceless.

If our little town is a snapshot of the older generation (managers words not mine) then the vote to leave will be a fucking landslide :62:

nah 'in' is the overwhelming favourite
folk sh*t themselves at the prospect of change or having to decide stuff for themselves

BBJ - 22/2/2016 20:02

The Fear - 22/2/2016 12:47

One figure I heard the other day was something around 2.3m Europeans in the UK due to free movement and 2.2m of our lot over there.

I'd say we were all European although I'm aware, having lived in England for a third of my adult life, many English people don't agree with the sentiment.
I wonder does the 2.2 million include the Irish?

I am sure it does.

By percentage we have the highest emigration rate of OECD countries something like 23% and I am one of them!

Personally when it comes to talk of immigration I dont think many European nations have a leg to stand on. European countries have had an influential and direct impact on hundreds of countries and its mostly been negative.

Ireland hasnt a leg to stand on either because so many of us have lived abroad. We are an immigrating nation just like most other small countries and our economy has only been successful for a short period of time.

Have to say that while I'm leaning heavily towards out, I'm not totally decided as I want to get as much information on it as I can before making my mind up.
Is the EU a bloated, pointless, boys club where the power rests with a few, un-elected twats? Yes
Are the 28 countries all simply looking out for themselves? Of course they bloody are
Is the UK the only one that has EVER stood up to them in any form? Yes, particularly when Maggie was in charge!
Will the other 27 turn round and screw us over as soon as the can if we vote to stay in? You bet...

But on the other hand, while I appreciate that small & medium businesses will be happier with less interference and red tape, I've still not read a convincing explanation of exactly how we will trade with the rest of the world and, more importantly, the rest of Europe... don't forget, Norway and Switzerland have to play by the rules, but they can't set them.

Simple really maundy, it is a nonsense for the in brigade to compare Norway or Switzerland to the UK. We have a massive economy, the 5th biggest in the world, so comparisons are false. Add to that a massive trade deficit with Europe that means that they need us far more than we need them. The truth is in the event of an out vote nothing would change for a couple of years. After that we would do what we did before the EU, sign trade deals. This doomsday nonsense from the in brigade is frankly disgraceful.

Now France are saying there will be consequences for the Calais camps if we vote to leave Europe. BBC news amongst many other links. Just saying. I know how I am voting so it's info for those who dont to make their own mind up on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35712463

It's nonsense, it is a bilateral agreement between us and France and nothing to do with the EU. More project fear. Do not be taken in.

I'm out and the more Cameron spreads his Fear tactic the more will follow me !
I work for an Indian owned company and our biggest profit market is China !

Do people really think companies like BMW with stop selling cars in the UK when its their 3rd biggest market after the USA and Germany .

All for a common market but not a U.S, of Europe .
We have enough dossiers of our own without importing them.

Cameron and the scruffy little commie should try coming up with a few good things about the EU not what might happen if we don't stay , wtf happens if we do stay in ? We don't know either way is nearer the truth .

I see where you're coming from Wurzel & 57, but one big issue is that the majority of infrastructure in the UK is owned by foreign companies, many French & German, I'm thinking of EDF, e.on, npower, Arriva, Govia Thameslink, Areva...
They already charge UK customers more than those in their home markets, should we pull out of the EU what's to stop them being even more vindictive and hiking prices to ridiculous levels. As you say, they won't pull out of the UK because it's too big a market for them, but if our gas, electricity & public transport suddenly increase in price, will that not have an effect on the rest of industry?
Sure we're the 5th biggest economy in the world, but we are far too reliant on foreign investment to keep that running. Unless the aforementioned companies agree or are force to sell the the Chinese, Indians or Arab states, we will have to play by some European rules.

I wonder about politicians common sense at times Hollande stands up and threatens the u.k. with 4000 migrants we are taking 325.000 a year how long does he think it will take for someone to say ok we will have your 4000 that will still be 321.000 less than last year its not about race colour or creed its about numbers the complaints I hear are how long it takes to get a doctors appointment or the local schools are full or the hospital waiting list is getting worse. Simple maths if we take 325.000 each year we would need to build a city the size of Brum every 5 years with the infrastructure. I have waited to hear the reasoned arguments but all
I get from stay in side are threats of what might happen which are no worse than the threats of what might happen if we come out. No facts and figures about what it costs to be a member against what it would cost to be outside the E.U. I voted for the original common market I did not vote for a European superstate.