euro 2020 | Page 6 | Vital Football

euro 2020

Manager made his choices and mainly he was vindicated. Sterling showed again that Croatia can't handle his pace and changes of direction just as in the defeat last time. Lots of goodish performances Phillips and Rice particularly. All we could have asked given those conditions and three points in the bag.

Ing-ger-land!!!!

Good performance, solid base with Mings, Stones, Rice and Philips, and plenty of flair in front of them. Not peaking too early either.

Austria v North Macedonia next

Thought it was a decent performance given the heat, yes it wasn't amazing, but if you look from Croatia's perspective did they ever look like scoring goal? Perhaps one snatched at chance in the second half that was lashed wide.
I felt Sterling was our most dangerous attacking player, couldn't believe that some said he should be subbed off for Grealish at half time.
Man of the match overall was Phillips, I'd not have picked him to start, so was surprised at how good he was.
The only real concern was Kane who looked off the pace and barely touched the ball, his one contribution of note was coliding with the post when if he'd been a bit sharper he'd have scored a tap in.
Defence looked good and with the likes of Rice sweeping up in front meant Croatia had no way through and looked completely toothless.

Scotland will be a different challenge and will be more blood and thunder than tikki takki Croatia.

Thought it was a decent performance given the heat, yes it wasn't amazing, but if you look from Croatia's perspective did they ever look like scoring goal? Perhaps one snatched at chance in the second half that was lashed wide.
I felt Sterling was our most dangerous attacking player, couldn't believe that some said he should be subbed off for Grealish at half time.
Man of the match overall was Phillips, I'd not have picked him to start, so was surprised at how good he was.
The only real concern was Kane who looked off the pace and barely touched the ball, his one contribution of note was coliding with the post when if he'd been a bit sharper he'd have scored a tap in.
Defence looked good and with the likes of Rice sweeping up in front meant Croatia had no way through and looked completely toothless.

Scotland will be a different challenge and will be more blood and thunder than tikki takki Croatia.
You can't deny his goalscoring record, but Kane looks slow and cumbersome at international level. Mind you he did hit the post!

I watched the game today, first time I have watched an England game in several years and must admit that only five of the England team were players whose names I knew !

Well done to them for getting the win; thought that England`s Calvin Phillips was really good and was also encouraged to see England put a 17 year old, Bellingham, into the game at a crucial time. If they`re good enough, they`re old enough - well done to Southgate for having faith in our young players.

First time we've won the opening match at a Euros.
Clean sheet
That donkey Sterling scoring (shame it wasn't Grealish, he'd have scored it better)
Some good overall performances
Bring on the jocks, sorry, Scotland.

WCBAEC

Decent if not spectacles start. Kane seemed largely uninvolved. Mount and Foden quiet after bright starts. Don’t think France or Portugal will be overly worried but a win is a win and some unsuspected positives, not least southgate’s selection being vindicated. We have lots to build on here.

Enjoyed the Austria V North Macedonia game. Full bloodied tackles and two of the unfancied teams going for it.

What was Arnautovic on at the end ? Mouthing off about something, almost looked like Alaba was restraining him. Like a bit of emotion

Small minority of England supporters are wonderful: boo the Croatian national anthem, boo the knee, boo when Croatia have the ball for any period of time, wave the flag of the Union at an England game - wankers.

Am I alone in being in a white hot, cold fury about referring to Macedonia as Northern Macedonia? Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia if you must. Fyrom at a pinch. But no to appeasing the Greeks-sorry the Greece country. Let peoples name themselves, I say.

I hope Christian Eriksen makes a full recovery, I wasn’t watching the game but it sounded awful.

England, we won which is what we needed to do. Was a little boring in places but you can’t expect it to be non stop entertainment.

Walker was poor today. Put trippier in for him and one of the other boys in at LB. Rice is the kind of modern footballer I like and it’s the first time I’ve seen Kalvin Phillips and he looked good too.

A
Am I alone in being in a white hot, cold fury about referring to Macedonia as Northern Macedonia? Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia if you must. Fyrom at a pinch. But no to appeasing the Greeks-sorry the Greece country. Let peoples name themselves, I say.

It think I also heard them being referred to as Baltic rather than Balkan