EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 477 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

When I voted leave, I did so on the assumption that both sides would come up with an amicable agreement.
Unfortunately that has not turned out to be the case.
With every opposition MP, bar a few, voting against the deal, accompanied by the SNP, the Libdems, the solo Green, a few Indies and a hardcore of Tory remainers and leavers, how do you think we can square the circle.

The ERG haven't been the reason that the agreement did not pass through parliament three times.
It has been MPs in general.

So the situation now is, they cannot agree how we leave but insist that there must be an agreement.
Begs the question, what agreement, given that they have rejected the EU proposal three times.
Could the PM bring it back for a fourth go and expect a different result?

I'd doubt it.
So in the event of no agreement, what now?
Just to correct one point. The only point of contention in the WA is the backstop which is a UK suggestion not an EU one. So to call the WA a "EU proposal" is wrong.

Could the PM bring it back for a fourth go and expect a different result?
Two things - come to an agreement with the EU based on amended UK red lines and, second, change the political declaration to make it biding on the incumbent/incoming PM.

Just to correct one point. The only point of contention in the WA is the backstop which is a UK suggestion not an EU one. So to call the WA a "EU proposal" is wrong.

Fair comment, but it's still a proposal until ratified, which it has not been .

The EU side act like it's a Treaty that cannot be reopened.

That's clearly rubbish. The real fact is that they don't want to reopen, not can't.

The absolute irony is that the sticking point is exactly that which they claim they wish to avoid.

I stll believe that it's red herring anyway and is designed to lock the UK in

But Francois and co would vote down any deal even if it didn't include the backstop. We now pretty well deserve whatever pile of crap we get. And it will be a big stinking pile.

The EU side act like it's a Treaty that cannot be reopened.
It can be re-opened if Boris changes the UK's red lines. The real irony is that public opinion in NI has no real concerns about the backstop but the DUP is clinging on like limpets.

But Francois and co would vote down any deal even if it didn't include the backstop. We now pretty well deserve whatever pile of crap we get. And it will be a big stinking pile.
As I said jogills it's not down to Francois and Co unless other MPs wish it to be.
That's an easy cop out.

It can be re-opened if Boris changes the UK's red lines. The real irony is that public opinion in NI has no real concerns about the backstop but the DUP is clinging on like limpets.
The real irony is that the backstop is what stopped the WA.
50 Labour MPs could see it through.

The real irony is that the backstop is what stopped the WA.
50 Labour MPs could see it through.
And the Political Declaration - MPs like Caroline Flint would've voted for the WA but the PD was the sticking point for her and many others.

Last edited:
As I said jogills it's not down to Francois and Co unless other MPs wish it to be.
s

And that's a cop out. The "ruling" party can't command the votes of upward of 40 of its own MPs, who march to the tune of another party. No Deal is not a majority opinion anywhere but TBP & the tory party membership, shich includes Brexit entryists. A minority is using Johnson's fear of Farage and co to force it and he appears ready to test the law to do so. It's pathetic.

Can you even imagine anyone mewling that tory MPs wouldn't come behind a Labour PM? Me neither.

You don't get it, do you? The leavers don't care that he is an out and out liar and a racist. He's gonna deliver brexit....nothing else matters to them.
MC
Please give accurate examples of "lying" and "racism".
(i.e not the re-hashed Chinese whispers that circulate in the Twittersphere or re-phrases on the MSM)

Brexit: No deal 'only acceptable' way to leave EU, says Nigel Farage. I'll have some of what he's on.
Actually Farage said that the EU should re-offer the Canada-style deal offered by Tusk in 2018 ..... but that it was extremely unlikely that the EU would offer it before 31st October.
This was clarified further by Farage listing the 3 current options that seem available.

So please don't suggest that Farage doesn't want a Trade Deal.
He opposes the Withdrawal Agreement

When I voted leave, I did so on the assumption that both sides would come up with an amicable agreement.
Shotshy.
So did I . A Trade Deal

Please don't allow Remainers to repeat their narrative unchallenged:
"In 2016, no one talked about "No Deal".

Can anyone find a Referendum discussion about a Withdrawal Agreement ?
Cos that's all that has been discussed so far.

Surely the "Deal" Leavers talked about was a Trade Deal - which the EU have refused to discuss for 3 years becasue they saw a supine UK Government willing to pay the EU £ billions.

MC
Please give accurate examples of "lying" and "racism".
(i.e not the re-hashed Chinese whispers that circulate in the Twittersphere or re-phrases on the MSM)
I don't use twitter, and, tbh, I haven't got a clue what msm stands for. He has lied about Petronalla Wyatt, kippers and pork pies, and calling africans piccaninies (or whatever the word is) doesn't exactly show an individual with any sense of tolerance, but, obviously, you will disagree with me. Best to agree to disagree.

Actually Farage said that the EU should re-offer the Canada-style deal offered by Tusk in 2018 ..... but that it was extremely unlikely that the EU would offer it before 31st October.
This was clarified further by Farage listing the 3 current options that seem available.

So please don't suggest that Farage doesn't want a Trade Deal.
He opposes the Withdrawal Agreement
I detest Farage, but he has always maintained that there should be a deal. He pretty much begged for one after his playground rant in the EU, after the referendum. Hopefully, once this has all settled he will fuck off to trump towers, with his pot of ky jelly