England Winter Cricket thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

England Winter Cricket thread

Can you take the dog out for the day very early tomorrow?

Must correct my post saying Joe had drawn level with Wally Hammond as scorer of 5 test double hundreds. Apparently Hammond has 7 but, when I looked last week, he had 5!!!

Another couple for Joe, 1st Englishman to go to 200 with a 6

Only Englishman to score 180 plus in 3 consecutive tests.

Just need to find some spinners half as good as him.
No need TT I’ll be off to work in the first session unfortunately 😞

No need TT I’ll be off to work in the first session unfortunately 😞
Oh well, time for Jofra ( or anybody else) to mop up.

Don't work too hard ( cue a lot of derogatory comments:p)

Hopefully we'll all be dreaming of another 3 points
:hmmm:

If you don't take them then you're David Blunkett.

Now Joe's, that's a proper catch. Hand /eye coordination, quick feet, spring, athleticism- sound familiar????
Proper catch TT? I'd say it was a a forking BRILLIANT catch.I hope if/when we bat again(hopefully sometime early in the first session 2moz)we don't bat too long and not leave enough time to bowl India out again.UTMPB

Proper catch TT? I'd say it was a a forking BRILLIANT catch.I hope if/when we bat again(hopefully sometime early in the first session 2moz)we don't bat too long and not leave enough time to bowl India out again.UTMPB
Got to agree about the catch Rod, he's a very special player at the top of his game right now.

Going to be a tricky couple of days re. the timing. Get them out very early and he could enforce the follow on but, if they hang about a bit, then he might bat again to avoid batting on the last day.
180 overs left, a fine balance, a tricky decision to be made. The pitch wants to deteriorate rapidly to make it easier.

Got to agree about the catch Rod, he's a very special player at the top of his game right now.

Going to be a tricky couple of days re. the timing. Get them out very early and he could enforce the follow on but, if they hang about a bit, then he might bat again to avoid batting on the last day.
180 overs left, a fine balance, a tricky decision to be made. The pitch wants to deteriorate rapidly to make it easier.
Joe is certainly going to go down as one of if not the best Cricketer England has ever produced.UTMPB

Worst decision making ever. Spent 2 hours fkng about for no reason. Could have had 450 lead and all out and still had same amount of fresh new ball tomorrow.

Worst decision making ever. Spent 2 hours fkng about for no reason. Could have had 450 lead and all out and still had same amount of fresh new ball tomorrow.
Reckon they either
a)think they have more than enough and are manipulating time/new ball availability
b) are very, very scared of losing.

Curious passage of play- time will tell. Fingers Xd

Reckon they either
a)think they have more than enough and are manipulating time/new ball availability
b) are very, very scared of losing.

Curious passage of play- time will tell. Fingers Xd

c) They've been watching how we attack. And then pass it back to the keeper.

Sh it game management. Bottled it.
Time will tell- there's one hell of a brains trust with all the coaching staff in there.

I think it's mistrust of the bowlers to be honest and, for me, understandable- Bess got 5 for in SL bowling pies and got lucky with some terrible shots played. He got 4 in the first innings including a deflection of Pope's back and a mistimed slog.
Leach is too loose , too many bad balls, much too few rippers. Seamers- theirs have bowled better, tighter lines than us.Jofra can't bounce them out on this sort of surface and there's no swing for Jimmy.

It wouldn't surprise me if Root has to ride to the rescue.- again.

Time will tell- there's one hell of a brains trust with all the coaching staff in there.

I think it's mistrust of the bowlers to be honest and, for me, understandable- Bess got 5 for in SL bowling pies and got lucky with some terrible shots played. He got 4 in the first innings including a deflection of Pope's back and a mistimed slog.
Leach is too loose , too many bad balls, much too few rippers. Seamers- theirs have bowled better, tighter lines than us.Jofra can't bounce them out on this sort of surface and there's no swing for Jimmy.

It wouldn't surprise me if Root has to ride to the rescue.- again.

The only reason I could see for Archer and Jimmy holding a bat was to smell the wickey. Given neither bowled that was pointless. We could have had 50 more runs and taken 2 more wickets. Time will tell.

The only reason I could see for Archer and Jimmy holding a bat was to smell the wickey. Given neither bowled that was pointless. We could have had 50 more runs and taken 2 more wickets. Time will tell.
Maybe it's the coaching staff 'protecting' the players' health?

There's so much interference with coaches for breathing, excreting, walking,sleeping etc that maybe they are worried about fatigue!!!

Or , Heaven forbid, maybe there's a betting syndicate behind it all.

Maybe it's the coaching staff 'protecting' the players' health?

There's so much interference with coaches for breathing, excreting, walking,sleeping etc that maybe they are worried about fatigue!!!

Or , Heaven forbid, maybe there's a betting syndicate behind it all.

Whatever there is , be it cricket or football it is the polar opposite of what the fan wants.

Whatever there is , be it cricket or football it is the polar opposite of what the fan wants.
Means to an end?
Particularly in this form of cricket.

BTW Joe's cameo innings today shows the nonsense of him not being considered for the World T20 in India.

I've enjoyed watching this Test match but today,well the last session was really strange.I can't work out why England seemed content to waste time,if they wanted to be more than 420 in front then put bat to ball or as mi dear owd Dad used to shout when watching cricket "Gi it some willa(willow)" If we fail to win and have India with 7 or 8 wkts down at the end of the game on Tuesday,somebody wants a kick up their jacksy.Hopefully we can win but i think it's going to be a close run thing as to whether we win,but i'll be watching from 4am.UTMPB

I've enjoyed watching this Test match but today,well the last session was really strange.I can't work out why England seemed content to waste time,if they wanted to be more than 420 in front then put bat to ball or as mi dear owd Dad used to shout when watching cricket "Gi it some willa(willow)" If we fail to win and have India with 7 or 8 wkts down at the end of the game on Tuesday,somebody wants a kick up their jacksy.Hopefully we can win but i think it's going to be a close run thing as to whether we win,but i'll be watching from 4am.UTMPB
Very strange Rod. As you say Headingley would have been ringing with cries of "Gerron wi' it".
Hopefully we get the right result - if we don't we might learn more about how/why the decision was taken.

I'm knackered this week but will be peeping out from under the duvet early doors.

Last edited:
Very strange Rod. As you say Headingley would have been ringing with cries of "Gerron wi' it".
Hopefully we get the right result - if we don't we might learn more about how/why the decision was taken.

I'm knackered this week but will be peeping out from under the duvet early doors.
You should try being me I had just over an hour between the Super Bowl finishing and the cricket starting before heading off for work likely to be an early night me thinks 😴

Got to be honest I’m glad he’s being overlooked lad needs a break
True Bully, I thought that as I posted it but reckon that he would be a shoe in if considered.

He'll be busy enough with the 17 tests this year and i reckon he'll spend a lot of that time actually at the wicket.