Elbow departs on loan | Page 4 | Vital Football

Elbow departs on loan

The squad size is now 23 which arguably is a more realistic level. You would expect Lewis to leave shortly on loan,which would take it down to 22. We may need another forward unless Morton is due to return very soon.

Given we may very well repeatedly lose more players to covid cases, either got it or isolating otherwise, I hope all these players being shipped out doesn't leave us short.

Unless we are shipping out the ones with Covid, along with a fake negative test.

Like many, I am disappointed with this. Zak was one of our best players in pre-season, then injuries and international call ups stopped him getting a starting spot. He's then been our best player in two Papa John starts before being shipped out on loan without any opportunity to see if he can do it in L1.

He has definitely shown more than Archibald, who stays (I assume). Maybe he doesn't do as much defensively as Anderson and Scully, but he's a natural left fotter with great pace - and an ability to get on the end of crosses at the far post. Something we have been sadly lacking in the huge amount of crosses we have put in from the right this season.

He's only 22, and would only get better with our current playing style. I appreciate with the arrival of Morgan he would have a hard job getting a regular place. But Morgan is another loanee. Let's face it, Morgan, Johnson and TJ will not be here next year. Zak and Aaron Lewis were contracted players, and are out without being given a decent run to show what they could do only because loanees are ahead of them in the selection order.

This would only make sense to me if two contracted (and better) players come in to replace Zak and Aaron. Not two more loanees who will go back at the end of the season.

I think loans are good especially in these uncertain times. It’s a question of having to be and cutting your cloth accordingly for the good and benefit of the club long term.

Like many, I am disappointed with this. Zak was one of our best players in pre-season, then injuries and international call ups stopped him getting a starting spot. He's then been our best player in two Papa John starts before being shipped out on loan without any opportunity to see if he can do it in L1.

He has definitely shown more than Archibald, who stays (I assume). Maybe he doesn't do as much defensively as Anderson and Scully, but he's a natural left fotter with great pace - and an ability to get on the end of crosses at the far post. Something we have been sadly lacking in the huge amount of crosses we have put in from the right this season.

He's only 22, and would only get better with our current playing style. I appreciate with the arrival of Morgan he would have a hard job getting a regular place. But Morgan is another loanee. Let's face it, Morgan, Johnson and TJ will not be here next year. Zak and Aaron Lewis were contracted players, and are out without being given a decent run to show what they could do only because loanees are ahead of them in the selection order.

This would only make sense to me if two contracted (and better) players come in to replace Zak and Aaron. Not two more loanees who will go back at the end of the season.
He's right footed?

Tbh, I wonder whether our position is now seen as a good opportunity, and whilst under normal circumstances he might have hung around and got more game time, things have changed slightly given how the season has gone so far.

I think Luke hits the nail on the head. Our lofty position now means we are aiming higher than we were. Zak together with the likes of Lewis and Bradley could very easily have had more game time if we were 15th, but we are now aiming higher and able to get players in who in the past wouldn't have looked twice at an opportunity to play in our team

In an ideal world with unlimited funds you would be right.

I think you have to almost view 5 loan spots as Lincoln players here permanently, with the luxury of being able to swap a particular individual for better or a more suited player as time goes on, if we keep progressing.

We can't afford all the quality we want without loan players.

The way to improve is to somehow find permenant players to match your loan players.
We have done pretty well with the likes of Montsma, Edun, Jones, Anderson, Grant, Bridcutt etc and hopefully will unearth some more.

Elbouzedi may become another in time but when we can attract the likes of Johnson and Rodgers on loan, we can move the club forward, while waiting for Zac to improve.

In contrast Aaron Lewis has been a Lincoln player for getting on for 2 years and never started a league game. People still can't grasp that we have had a better player available than him on every single occasion. I am sure he's a decent L2 player and a nice chap but that's not what we need.

Last edited:
In an ideal world with unlimited funds you would be right.

I think you have to almost view 5 loan spots as Lincoln players here permanently, with the luxury of being able to swap a particular individual for better or a more suited player as time goes on, if we keep progressing.

We can't afford all the quality we want without loan players.

The way to improve is to somehow find permenant players to match your loan players.
We have done pretty well with the likes of Montsma, Edun, Jones, Anderson, Grant, Bridcutt etc and hopefully will unearth some more.

Elbouzedi may become another in time but when we can attract the likes of Johnson and Rodgers on loan, we can move the club forward, while waiting for Zac to improve.

In contrast Aaron Lewis has been a Lincoln player for getting on for 2 years and never started a league game. People still can't grasp that we have had a better player available than him on every single occasion. I am sure he's a decent L2 player and a nice chap but that's not what we need.
Strange situation, barely got a game for us, the same at Newport, injured for Wales, man of the match v Everton, odd.

Strange situation, barely got a game for us, the same at Newport, injured for Wales, man of the match v Everton, odd.
If you look at the player rating v Everton I think he came in eighth.
He made one speculative cross which eventually ended in a goal and was so comprehensively skinned he had to sprint to hack the player down to gain a yellow card.
His myth grew with every game he did not play.

even Beckham went out on loan.

good if he gets game time.

perhaps Bolton can play Sunderland in the we used to be famous once trophy

I remember Beckham giving an interview about being sent to Preston (then in the third tier). He thought at the time that Fergy didn't fancy him and that it was a precursor to leaving United, but it was for exactly what it said on the tin - the chance to play some games and develop.

To be fair to Beckham though, by all accounts he was very good at Preston and proved to lots of people what a talent he was - if only he hadn't kicked that Argentinian. This is a good article for anyone who hasn't come across the story,

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...e-what-i-was-seeing-moyes-nearly-squashed-him

P.S. the video has a nice little dig at John Beck that many on here will sympathise with.

P.P.S. I didn't realise that one of Beckham's 5 games for Preston was against us.

Last edited:
I can understand players that don't play being overrated by fans when teams are under-performing, but when we're top of the league and flying? Mental. Clearly, neither Lewis or Elbouzedi are good enough for us at the moment, and it seems like at least one of them never will be. For what it's worth, for every game I've seen either play well, I would say I've seen two that they both lack composure, positional discipline and end product. Headless chickens at times!

I remember Beckham giving an interview about being sent to Preston (then in the third tier). He thought at the time that Fergy didn't fancy him and that it was a precursor to leaving United, but it was for exactly what it said on the tin - the chance to play some games and develop.

To be fair to Beckham though, by all accounts he was very good at Preston and proved to lots of people what a talent he was - if only he hadn't kicked that Argentinian. This is a good article for anyone who hasn't come across the story,

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...e-what-i-was-seeing-moyes-nearly-squashed-him

P.S. the video has a nice little dig at John Beck that many on here will sympathise with.

P.P.S. I didn't realise that one of Beckham's 5 games for Preston was against us.

Played at Sincil Bank and hit the post with a free kick if my memory isn’t playing tricks.