EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus | Page 40 | Vital Football

EFL Statement: Board Update On Coronavirus

I suppose we are in the fortunate position that whatever is decided our position in League 1 is under no threat.
I can envisage that some imaginative options would have been posted on here if we were in some other clubs positions

There also was a good bit of "American Management speak " in there :

"Barnsley FC have fought against the grain to implement a system focused on organizational longevity,alongside aggressive competiveness "

What does that mean exactly ?

It means that their self interest and self preservation is the most important thing and that they or any other team are far more important than anyone else so they dont give a flying fuck who gets relegated as long as it's not them because as with Peterborough, Tranmere and any other moaning tossers which I am now absolutely sick of they are just coming up with bullshit that protects their self interest.
The EFL needs a dictator to tell these clubs how League will be settled not let them sort out their final finishing places thereselves.
How will that ever work?

It means that their self interest and self preservation is the most important thing and that they or any other team are far more important than anyone else so they dont give a flying fuck who gets relegated as long as it's not them because as with Peterborough, Tranmere and any other moaning tossers which I am now absolutely sick of they are just coming up with bullshit that protects their self interest.
The EFL needs a dictator to tell these clubs how League will be settled not let them sort out their final finishing places thereselves.
How will that ever work?

The EFL needs to be firm on this. They need to call the bluff of those who are threatening to sue. Let them go ahead. I would guess their position would be very difficult to prove in court. In any event they would,along with all the other clubs,have far more serious challenges to face come next season,such as the basic viability of Professional football. Abortive legal cases on top of this would not be helpful.

I think the meeting this week is the important one as should it go through (and the expectation is that it will), it will write these options legally into their constitution. That should in theory prevent or at least significantly reduce the threat of legal action. It is also removing the issue of needing 75% of clubs to agree before anything is passed.

It might be baby steps, but it does feel like we are getting somewhere.

The EFL needs to be firm on this. They need to call the bluff of those who are threatening to sue. Let them go ahead. I would guess their position would be very difficult to prove in court. In any event they would,along with all the other clubs,have far more serious challenges to face come next season,such as the basic viability of Professional football. Abortive legal cases on top of this would not be helpful.

What about that if the Chairman of any club who isnt happy with what the EFL tells them is going to happen (after they have grown a pair) and that they're not going to have any say in it whatsoever can withdraw their club from the League and trott on.

I suppose we are in the fortunate position that whatever is decided our position in League 1 is under no threat.
I can envisage that some imaginative options would have been posted on here if we were in some other clubs positions
I am sure that is true, but as the chairman of a professional football club, would you want your response to be viewed as:
a) sensible > balanced > sane; or
b) self-interested > unblanced > irrelevant
?

It would appear that Mr Palios has carried us beyond the former and... also beyond the latter.

I am sure that is true, but as the chairman of a professional football club, would you want your response to be viewed as:
?

It would appear that Mr Palios has carried us beyond the former and... also beyond the latter.
In this crazy season what odds on it being the chosen option.

All about one thing though isn't it? Money, teams are clearly spending far much, those at the top have spent a fortune to go up and those at the bottom will be worse off if they go down.
Football needs a financial reboot as the bubble is about to burst, we can't have loads of clubs go under, clubs need to look after each other but it's all about self interest isn't it?

Last edited:
?

Unfortunately I think b) characterises most football club Chairmen. We’re quite lucky in the one we have.

I don't think the self interest it a bad thing per se. For example, the Accrington Chairman, Burton Chairman and presumably Clive are looking out for their own Clubs.

The problem are the ones who are self interesting at the expense of other clubs - Posh etc wanting to play on despite few clubs being able to afford the £150k testing costs, or Tranmere happy to magic up a formula that saves them but then relegates someone else.

I don't think the self interest it a bad thing per se. For example, the Accrington Chairman, Burton Chairman and presumably Clive are looking out for their own Clubs.

The problem are the ones who are self interesting at the expense of other clubs - Posh etc wanting to play on despite few clubs being able to afford the £150k testing costs, or Tranmere happy to magic up a formula that saves them but then relegates someone else.
Luke I think you just worded what I put but better, thanks 👍

Recently saw a tweet from one of the football journalists saying they're looking at restarting the fa cup with the final being played on August 1st! Could be a while until the 20/21 season starts then.

Recently saw a tweet from one of the football journalists saying they're looking at restarting the fa cup with the final being played on August 1st! Could be a while until the 20/21 season starts then.
Strangely, it could actually work fine. Looking at it another way, the players have simply had their close season early - they have been away from football since 13 March. Whilst they have been following fitness plans (as they do during the summer anyway), they have not had the injuries and physical stress of playing games. There is no obvious reason why they could not play a whole season from whenever the restart occurs. The fly in that ointment could be having to complete this season first.

Strangely, it could actually work fine. Looking at it another way, the players have simply had their close season early - they have been away from football since 13 March. Whilst they have been following fitness plans (as they do during the summer anyway), they have not had the injuries and physical stress of playing games. There is no obvious reason why they could not play a whole season from whenever the restart occurs. The fly in that ointment could be having to complete this season first.

I agree on the whole though there are a few logistical issues over the actual fixtures being generated etc and then the H & S requirements of staging a game. If they are behind closed doors though that is lessened.
Those leagues that re-start really have to be done and dusted by the end of July ( making August 1st the FA Cup final), the rest of August I would imagine would be used to work out those logistics with an early September start for the 20/21 season.
Unfortunately all of this will probably be without spectators for some months

Being a party pooper why does this season have to be started again . All this talk of self distancing ever time to turn on the tele or radio seems to have gone out the window when football is talked about . Why ? . What happens when a player tests positive , one would assume all 22 plus would have to self isolate. Just seems so unfair when joe public has many rules and regs in place . What happens if Cardiff have to play again ?? Wales is shut .