Does he stay or go ? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Does he stay or go ?

As I’ve said elsewhere there was a point yesterday when a Shrewsbury forward sprinted towards Max forcing him into a hurried clearance. That’s what’s lacking from our play in every single home game. Surely any manager should be able to address that.

Why wait until the summer? a new manager needs time to see what players he has, who he wants to keep (13 out of contract) and highlight his targets.
I don't want a change, but if it's coming the sooner the better.

Scally won't pull the trigger either now nor during the summer. He'll wait until a month into the season to see how we start with Eaves and Holy's replacements. If our form next seasons starts as badly as this one appears to be ending then he might well be gone by October.
I do not want to see Steve Lovell go however I was hoping to see him learn lessons over the last 12 months and the fact he keeps playing the same system at home game after game says to me he isn’t learning. That said maybe a close season a few players in and out and a time to reflect could have the desired result - who would want to be the Chairman!!!!!!

A minor miracle keeping us up (if he does) with the players and tesources available. Pretty sure we were one of the bookies favourites to go down before season started.

Time to change would be early summer. Only replace though if someone better to take over

Accrington, Rochdale, Shrewsbury and Wimbledon - these are four teams who, in my opinion, have less resources and inferior players to us, so I'd suggest keeping us up isn't a "minor miracle". I'd say that there are about 7/8 teams in the division who clearly have better resources and players to us - a "minor miracle" (emphasis on the "minor") would be to make the playoffs not stay up.

SL as a Gills legend should be allowed to see out the season, keep us up, but sadly he is proving lacking - yesterday against a team with players and resources no better than ours, if not worse, is a real show of managerial ability and I'm afraid Steve and his team failed

IF SL is to be replaced his replacement will already be lined up BUT getting rid of SL will cost the club financially which has to come from somewhere.

Whilst its good to have MEMs back on board I would not have thought it will not be much of a windfall and probably less than their last sponsorship contract

Whilst its good to have MEMs back on board I would not have thought it will not be much of a windfall and probably less than their last sponsorship contract[/QUOTE]
That may be the case but rather them than Medway fecking council - what good financially has that done the club?

GRSGimmer said:
That may be the case but rather them than Medway fecking council - what good financially has that done the club?

I think the main benefit for Gills was not having to pay the rent for the training ground this season (which the council owns).
Also Scally will have attempted to get them on side regarding his new stadium project, which seems to be his main focus nowadays.

Last edited:
Yes the new ground. I am sure there will be an important announcement any day now about how it is progressing - hopefully within the next decade.

Accrington, Rochdale, Shrewsbury and Wimbledon - these are four teams who, in my opinion, have less resources and inferior players to us, so I'd suggest keeping us up isn't a "minor miracle". I'd say that there are about 7/8 teams in the division who clearly have better resources and players to us - a "minor miracle" (emphasis on the "minor") would be to make the playoffs not stay up.

I would say that the four teams you list are probably on a par with us, resource wise. Maybe Wimbledon have a little less.

All four were below us before yesterday's result.

Minor miracle is probably overstating it but, in the same way, suggesting SL must go is also an over reaction.

If we carry on having the same resources as those four teams, we will struggle whether it is Lovell, Evans, or whoever else we could afford but at least we could save ourselves the money needed to pay off Lovell and, if Evans or Westley are chosen, having to make another bigger pay off six months later.

If more money is available, say from a Dack sell on clause, who knows whether Lovell would spend it as wisely as Evans?

If more money is available, say from a Dack sell on clause, who knows whether Lovell would spend it as wisely as Evans?

Evans would be like Pullis , and know where to spend to get us competetive.
Would it be sustainable ? I´m less sure.

My opinion on SL , and whether he should be replaced is too tight to call i´m afraid.

As someone else posted, I think he'll keep SL on and in a similar situation to Martin Allen, will sack him after about 8-10 games next season if we're struggling.

But please not Porky Evans next. I think Sol Campbell at Macclesfield has worked miracles there already, out of the bottom two already when they were cut adrift at rock bottom when he joined them. One to keep an eye on!

Steve Evans would want far more money, both in remuneration and player budget than PS would ever pay out for.

Evans is not coming here as PS won’t pay what would be required.

I just want an experienced manager and not another relegation scrap... home results and performances are dire :confused::arrghh:

He will keep us in league one on a tinpot budget which is some achievement. More money wisely spent is the only way I can see us pushing on next season. SL needs to sort the home form obviously, so a very strong finish to this season now essential. Drop the players who either won't be here or think the season's already over.

No idea as to the voracity of the claim but, a person claiming to be a steward at GFC says (on KM KentOnline) that Steve Evans has been in attendance at the last four Gills` games. If true, what`s that all about, I wonder......

I would like to see Mike Flynn given the job hes done well at Newport although I think it would totally piss them off , he plays good attacking football and can do it on a low budget plus the fans liked him when he was a player here that would be my choice.

Would Flynn want to leave Newport to come here? All this speculation that SL will leave is just that, speculation.

If your happy with the football that Sl is getting his team to play that's fine I'm just saying that's who I would like to see at Gills next season . I think mr scally has a serious decision to make at end of season .