Does he stay or go ? | Page 6 | Vital Football

Does he stay or go ?

I would personally be realy miffed to have Evans anywhere near our club particularly as I think SL is doing a great job slowly building a very good side for next to nothing.
Its a bit unfashionable for managers to get time to build sides these days but if you're only going to pay 50p and a packet of pork scratchings for players that, to me, is the only way Gills can succeed.

Agree about the time factor Archie.

Was an article popped up on my Facebook feed about the manager and his assistant at Accy Stanley after their win at Donny last night.

They have been at accy for 18 seasons. 18!!

In that time they’ve had 4 promotions, no relegations. Excellent record. But consider there are 14 seasons in there where they didn’t get promoted.

Quick check shows that after a few seasons climbing out of non-league, they got to div2 around 2006.

Their finishes since then were -

20th
17th (this is where we sack our manager)
15 (our fans apoplectic, but manager just keeps his job)
5 and lost play-offs.
14 (we sack our 2nd manager in October)
18 ( we sack our 3rd manager)
17 (there goes the next one half way through the season)
4th and promoted - hurrah! (This is our MA and finishing bottom 6 the next season would see him also sacked.

I’m glad Paul Scally is not the worst for this and does tend to give our managers more time than other clubs. But I’d prefer to see managers everywhere given multiple seasons each to do their job.

Last edited:
Yup .. building on peanuts could take a long time .. I think SL's doing OK and he should be given encouragement and the benefit of the doubt. If he can get a few good players in this summer and improve the team tactics at home we could begin to be, at least, more comfortable in this division; which would be a big step already.

Yup .. building on peanuts could take a long time .. I think SL's doing OK and he should be given encouragement and the benefit of the doubt. If he can get a few good players in this summer and improve the team tactics at home we could begin to be, at least, more comfortable in this division; which would be a big step already.

But this is part of the problem. The non leaguers we took a punt on have not exactly shone - bar one.

Due to finances we're taking a chance on a nobody or signing the players other league one teams do not want.

We need some investment not taking punts on unknown players.

And, additionally, we should not let good players run out of contract. We now lose Holy and Eaves for nothing. They should have been sold in July (if they declared they are not re-signing).

But this is part of the problem. The non leaguers we took a punt on have not exactly shone - bar one.

Due to finances we're taking a chance on a nobody or signing the players other league one teams do not want.

And, additionally, we should not let good players run out of contract. We now lose Holy and Eaves for nothing. They should have been sold in July (if they declared they are not re-signing).

On the one hand you're complaining that we shouldn't be taking punts on unknown players. On the other, you're complaining that we should have sold 2 of those unknown players we took a punt on, who have been two of our better players in the past couple of seasons. Meanwhile, players that other League 1 teams don't want (List, Hanlan) are our two front-runners for young player of the year.

Just out of interest, how much do you think we would've got for Eaves if we'd sold him last summer? I'd have been surprised if we'd got much more than 100-150k. He'd probably be worth more now, after a 2nd successive season scoring goals in a struggling team, but I don't think he would've been on the back of one decent season. The goals he's scored this season to help keep us in League 1 were worth more than that.

Its only a problem if you see it as a problem. I think the journey could be exciting. I enjoy watching young players like List and Hanlan being given the chance to make their mark on the game. RCC looks like he could kick on if he can stay injury free next season. Similarly Oldaker is an exciting prospect..
As for losing Eaves and Holy, well thats Lovels job to replace them. Eaves has been good for us but weve been good for him too. Holy isnt a bad keeper but like all players replaceable.

Investment would be nice. Perhaps you could organise a give a little page because thats the only way its coming in the short term. Until then taking punts and giving young players a chance is the only viable way forward for me.

Dont stress, enjoy the journey take pride in young guys making their mark wearing a Gills shirt .

Finally its only a game

Its only a problem if you see it as a problem. I think the journey could be exciting. I enjoy watching young players like List and Hanlan being given the chance to make their mark on the game. RCC looks like he could kick on if he can stay injury free next season. Similarly Oldaker is an exciting prospect..
As for losing Eaves and Holy, well thats Lovels job to replace them. Eaves has been good for us but weve been good for him too. Holy isnt a bad keeper but like all players replaceable.

Investment would be nice. Perhaps you could organise a give a little page because thats the only way its coming in the short term. Until then taking punts and giving young players a chance is the only viable way forward for me.

Dont stress, enjoy the journey take pride in young guys making their mark wearing a Gills shirt .

Finally its only a game

The problem I've got is that our young players aren't being given the chance to make their mark. List, Oldaker etc have been used scarcely. Lovell mostly sticks to the same players and the same formation that is failing us massively at home.

I got the opinion that after a good appearance, Oldaker might have become a bit over impressed with himself behind closed doors and consequently cut back on his efforts.