Does he stay or go ? | Vital Football

Does he stay or go ?

JJR

Vital Youth Team
With a number of teams fighting the dreaded (R) sacking there manager in last month or so..... who say SL stays or leaves ?.

I say stay and change in the summer ?

I honestly think he will have done well if he keeps us up but I don’t think scally we keep him next season. I expect a new manager to come in as the home form is so pitiful. I attend every home game expecting us to play shite.

A minor miracle keeping us up (if he does) with the players and tesources available. Pretty sure we were one of the bookies favourites to go down before season started.

Time to change would be early summer. Only replace though if someone better to take over

I think we,re at tipping point here for the Bespectacled One who must be greatly depressed after reading and hearing the fallout after yesterdays debacle. After his big effort to get people to buy season tickets will he sell more if we just miss relegation and stick with Steve or sack him soon and install the Unpopular One ( with some ) who he,s clearly been courting for the last few weeks and give him some money to spend and hope we all believe that this will be the second coming ??
I,ve been a big fan of Steve Lovell since he played for us and want him to be a success but i just feel now the dynamic has changed a bit.
I wouldn,t be surprised if the B.O. makes a managerial change very soon.....

I can understand people calling for a managerial change, but could anyone else do better.
we had one of the lowest budgets, 3rd lowest spend on agents, 7th lowest attendance figures, no financial sponsor.
Are people hoping we will compete for a top six finish against Luton, Sunderland, Barnsley, I think we are about right for the size of our club, and investment, with MEM's back on-board this year we just might get some new players of higher quality.
If a change were to be made it needs to be now, a new manager needs time too start looking at his summer targets.

Definitely stay until the end of the season.

We had a bad defeat yesterday so all is doom and gloom but we have been such a Jekyll and Hyde team that we could easily beat any team (two wins v Portsmouth and a draw at Luton, anyone?) in the coming weeks and everyone will be upbeat again with plenty of praise for SL.

I suspect Scally will make a change in the Summer and go for someone like Evans who will inevitably give him enough grief to aggravate his heart condition before having to be expensively paid off.

He will also be given money to spend which could improve our home performances but SL will probably feel that he could have done the same if he had a higher budget.

He will be gone at the end of the season - he has had his budget and the players are good enough which the away form confirms but the home form is embarrassing and has been for some time, he cant even set them up to get a draw

Lovell needs to go in the summer, the home form this season is inexcusable. Even if he was given a decent budget for better players I would have no confidence in him to set them up right.

Keeping up us is an achievement**, but I am concerned about Steve's inability to get the team shape right and his apparent bewilderment at the absolute stinkers we produce all too regularly. The home form is dreadful. Unless we sort that, it's only a matter of time before we go down.

I'm also not convinced by Steve's judgment on players to sign, to create a balanced squad. He's made too many mistakes. For me it's a tough decision but, with regret, I think we need a managerial change if we want to remain a League 1 club (without new investment, anything more than that is fantasy).

**Edit - That's if we DO stay up. If anyone can screw this up, Gills can...

Last edited:
So by the token you've knocked Lovell for home form do you give him credit for our away form?

It's not pretty but regardless of how we get the points, if Lovell secures League 1 safety this season he will have done a good job. We were second favourites to go down and I thought we would drop for sure this time with those squad of players.

Yes of course he gets credit for the away form but the home performances are getting worse - "our worst yet" from SL himself.

You keep blaming the budget and player quality but they are good enough away from home, if those appalling defeats at home has been draws we would have been safe weeks ago

I think a change as soon as possible after the end of season.
Home form has to improve if we are to #packpriestfield.

I believe SL will stay until the end of season. The positive, adventurous style that he initially brought into the club was a welcome period and re-invigorated some of the team, as well as some of the fans. But, in recent times, apart from a few free-flowing away performances the team has been bereft of ideas and creativity and seems to have lost its direction. Team selection seems to have been more influenced by the immediate preceding result than any other factor and i`ve become less confident about SL`s strategic and tactical skills. Though, TBF, transition from caretaker to permanent manager and mindful of a longer term position, would probably see all but the bravest being a little less adventurous with their tactics.

I`m glad that SL stepped up to the plate when he did and feel that PS did the right thing in hiring him - that decision will keep us in L1. But, for next season we should look to change things, including the management positions. I`d be impressed if we pushed our usual convention aside and invested by taking a punt on someone with a proven pedigree.

Think we need a change, but not now, in the summer.

The big problem with SL for me is his insistence on playing the diamond in midfield at home, when it has never worked under his tenure at home. Yes its worked away to a certain extent but at home its been all to easy for the opposition and our own players haven't ever looked comfortable playing it, but still he persists with it.

As others have mentioned his lack of input/instruction during games is also concerning, especially like yesterday when things are going wrong and things need changing and the players need a kick up the arse, not to see their manager standing there with his arms folded. His thinking and substitutions are bizzare or to late more often than they are logical IMO.

I just think over his time in charge we've gone backwards in terms of results at home but more importantly to PS and his attempt to get people back into the ground in performances. We are dire to watch. PS can reduce prices all that means is its just cheaper to watch the shit, rather than it not being shit.

Yes we know that the budget is poor, but than doesn't mean a manager cannot get us organised defensively and be effective when we have it.

As for Evans, him and PS will never work long term, just as MA and PS would never work, unless of course we're going for short term anarchy. How long would Evans get before the crowd turned on him and ultimately PS. Appointing Evans IMO would go against his whole idea to unite the club and get supporters back onside.

You can have a quiet manager, but then you need a leader on the pitch, a personality who is respected, feared, and loved in equal part, who can fire things up and who they darent get on the wrong side of. We're all too quiet.

I can remember my mate who is a Maidstone supporter ranting on about their manager in the same way last season. So they replaced him, then replaced that one. They are now looking at Conference South. Lovell has done OK with the resources. I'd be OK to give him another chance next season.

Pinched this off Twitter but I think it provides enough evidence to answer the question

"The average home gate at Priestfield in the league this season is now 4840 with 2 home games to go. That's 10% down on last season & 21% down on 2 seasons ago & worst since 1994/5 - and with 22 pts at home, we're still on course for our worst home record ever."

You can have a quiet manager, but then you need a leader on the pitch, a personality who is respected, feared, and loved in equal part, who can fire things up and who they darent get on the wrong side of. We're all too quiet.

I heard a shout from the stand yesterday; "Talk to each other!"

The lack of leaders and any obvious communication between our players is striking. Once things go wrong there is an inevitability about the outcome. That is the most obvious feature of our poor home performances and any change away from home is generated by the away support. Whatever recruitment is done we need to address this failing urgently.

Scally won't pull the trigger either now nor during the summer. He'll wait until a month into the season to see how we start with Eaves and Holy's replacements. If our form next seasons starts as badly as this one appears to be ending then he might well be gone by October.

I hope that is the case, particularly if the renewed MEMS sponsorship means a bigger budget.

Interesting to know whether Roy Hodgson gets the bullet in the summer. Palace have 4 wins and 4 draws at home this season, total 16 points. We have 22 home points from a few more games (21):
https://www.soccerstats.com/latest.asp?league=england3