Does he stay or go ? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Does he stay or go ?

I heard a shout from the stand yesterday; "Talk to each other!"

The lack of leaders and any obvious communication between our players is striking. Once things go wrong there is an inevitability about the outcome. That is the most obvious feature of our poor home performances and any change away from home is generated by the away support. Whatever recruitment is done we need to address this failing urgently.
We clearly need. Captain on the pitch because, once the players have crossed the white line, it’s down to them. We’re not going to get another Hess but even half a Hess would be an improvement. A captain on the field has to be inspirational, a motivator and a hard taskmaster starting with himself. SL has often said that his biggest difficulty with some players is that what done and practised on the training field is lost on them on match days.

So, should SL go? First, it’s up to him or Scally not us. Second, I’d like to see him have some decent players at his disposal, including a decent skipper, and then decide but that’s in Scally’s gift alone. As regards managers being shouters, there are many successful ones, who aren’t .

Last edited:
Needs to go. It’s been shit all season and his time is up. I do think Scally cannot afford anyone any good so we might be stuck with Lovell

Its a really tough call.

I didn't go yesterday but by all accounts first half was as bad as it gets but second half was much better and of course a good result.

Our home form under lovell (and those who came before) is shocking though.

If Scally wants to pack priestfield then that has to change. Lovell hasn't found a way to do that.

Tough call for Scally but it depends on how much he really wants to packpriestfield.

Goes for me.

Funny how all us supporters accuse managers of exactly the same things. Taken this from the Argyle board talking about their Manager Derek Adams, who they all seem to be levelling the same criticism as some of our fans at Lovell -

“As for being in complete control, that was only in the first half. Their Manager saw the problem, made the substitutions and the tactical changes and the rest is history. If only we had a Manager who was as pro-active as that who could actually affect the outcome of matches instead of one who just stands there and let’s things happen.”.

Funny how that other manager who can change things and affect a game is SL. Whodathunkit ?

Funny how all us supporters accuse managers of exactly the same things. Taken this from the Argyle board talking about their Manager Derek Adams, who they all seem to be levelling the same criticism as some of our fans at Lovell -
“As for being in complete control, that was only in the first half. Their Manager saw the problem, made the substitutions and the tactical changes and the rest is history. If only we had a Manager who was as pro-active as that who could actually affect the outcome of matches instead of one who just stands there and let’s things happen.”.
Funny how that other manager who can change things and affect a game is SL. Whodathunkit ?

Next you will be telling us it is a thankless job !;)

Next you will be telling us it is a thankless job !;)

Actually GBn, can’t help thinking Plymouth is a bigger club, with way bigger support, probably a bigger budget because of that. And yet been very similar to us for the past few years.

This division is not easy. No one has a right to be near the top. Southend and especially Bradford can probably attest to that as well. And those clubs have tried and spat out some of the kind of better and more experienced managers.

I think basically Steve Lovell just HAS to sort out our home form (not only form but also entertainment) and all will be well.

Just had a look at the home/away tables- we're 16th based on home record and 10th based on away. 25 points at home, 26 away. I'd expected us to be a lot closer to the bottom in terms of home record. It's still not good and needs addressing, but fine margins...another couple of home wins and we'd probably not be having the conversation, nor indeed the one about relegation.

Sure I saw someone on here mention that we rarely talk about how strong our away form has been this year. Having been used to us being absolutely rubbish away from home for several years that is indeed worthy of credit.

Just had a look at the home/away tables- we're 16th based on home record and 10th based on away. 25 points at home, 26 away. I'd expected us to be a lot closer to the bottom in terms of home record. It's still not good and needs addressing, but fine margins...another couple of home wins and we'd probably not be having the conversation, nor indeed the one about relegation.

Sure I saw someone on here mention that we rarely talk about how strong our away form has been this year. Having been used to us being absolutely rubbish away from home for several years that is indeed worthy of credit.

I mentioned a while back robbo, that if we had the same overall record but picked up, say, 9 more points at home and 9 less away, our fans would probably be a whole lot happier. Possibly quite rightly.

I don't think it is the over all home record that is the problem.

It is the lack of entertainment and the fact that we have caved in alarmingly on so many occasions, letting in 4s and 3s against Sunderland, Posh, Luton, Barnsley, Doncaster, Walsall, etc.

In most of those games we were out of contention by half time on our own ground.

In previous seasons there have always been home games where the team doesn't turn up mentally and physically but that usually results in things like the 1-0 loss to Wimbledon and the 2-0 loss to Shrewsbury.

We were awful on both those occasions but that is more familiar.

I don't think it is the over all home record that is the problem.

It is the lack of entertainment and the fact that we have caved in alarmingly on so many occasions, letting in 4s and 3s against Sunderland, Posh, Luton, Barnsley, Doncaster, Walsall, etc.

You've named the top three sides and the 6th and 7th placed ones. If you look at their results they have scored 3-4 goals away from home on a semi regular basis. Can't help think those matches were more to do with how good the opponent is rather than how terrible we are

You've named the top three sides and the 6th and 7th placed ones. If you look at their results they have scored 3-4 goals away from home on a semi regular basis. Can't help think those matches were more to do with how good the opponent is rather than how terrible we are

And the team 2nd from bottom, whose win against us was their only away win in their last 15 attempts.

I think the home form is a cause for concern, but overall, we're safe with 3 games to go, and are on course for a mid-table finish. Not sure how much more people expect Lovell to achieve with the resources available.

According to our management were not that far away from being a good side able to compete at the top end of this League (cloud cuckoo land IMO). Nearly ever team in this League has outplayed us, out passed us at home this season, it didn't matter where they were in the League. Take out Luton Sunderland, Barnsley and Portsmouth the quality in League 1 is average, but at home we have not only failed to get results our performances have been poor in most games and woeful in a handful, which have been reflected in our results at home.

Take out Luton Sunderland, Barnsley and Portsmouth the quality in League 1 is average

Put them back in. We did the double over Portsmouth. Away from home, we drew at Luton, had a damned good go at Sunderland but went down to 2 penalties, and at Barnsley we lost 2-1, but if I remember rightly, we put in a decent performance and were unlucky not to get a point.

Sure, we've had plenty of absolute stinkers this season too, at home especially, but on our day we've got a side that's more than capable of holding its own against any team in this division. The question for Lovell to solve now is why can't we do it more often. I'm quite happy for him to get another season.

It’s pretty simple in my mind.

We’re 13th in the league. SL has overachieved if we finish 13th. At the beginning of the season, there was an email thread where most people said they’d be happy with survival.

There is no justification to sack SL.

Difficult to argue against the point you make, Trashbat. The issue that has divided many, however, is the abysmal home form, and SL`s apparent and frustrating inability to address it. As far as SL leaving/going at the end of the season, I must be honest and say that, whilst I like SL and appreciate that he took on a hell of a job and has kept us up, I can`t help but feel a change of manager wouldn`t be a bad thing. Though, i`m not totally convinced in either direction.

Put them back in. We did the double over Portsmouth. Away from home, we drew at Luton, had a damned good go at Sunderland but went down to 2 penalties, and at Barnsley we lost 2-1, but if I remember rightly, we put in a decent performance and were unlucky not to get a point.

Sure, we've had plenty of absolute stinkers this season too, at home especially, but on our day we've got a side that's more than capable of holding its own against any team in this division. The question for Lovell to solve now is why can't we do it more often. I'm quite happy for him to get another season.

Away from home we've done ok, even well on some occasions as you mention. At home though over two seasons we've been poor, not just results but performances. SL has not found a system that works, but worse than that he has persisted with a system that does not work, has not worked, has been to easy to play against but has persisted with using it, and his justification was it worked when we had Dack. Sorry, but his stubbornness over the system will get him the sack. We've seen glimpses of us playing well at home of 45 minutes (here and there) only to be followed by 45 minutes of toilet his ability to get a system that works, is effective and the players look comfortable playing at home, he's failed badly, over two seasons with numerous players tried within his preffered system. With PS packpriestfield initiative, he can't have teams putting in performances and offering up what SL's team have over the last two seasons, as has been proved by the massive drop in attendances.

Yes SL has had limited resources but IMO its the basics he's failed in and that for a manager operating on limited resources is key to getting the best out of a limited squad. Away from home he's done ok, at home he's not.

IMO PS comments the other day suggest he's unimpressed, and if there is money to invest in the squad the question is does PS trust SL with that money to get a team functioning as a unit to gets results and performances. I have my doubts if PS trusts SL enough.

As I've said before, I like SL and grew up watching him score goals for us, I'm just not convinced he has what it takes and think he may have taken us as far as he can.

Last edited: