Dingles on Satdy | Page 3 | Vital Football

Dingles on Satdy

You've nailed it regarding Naylor...People were saying this and that about how good he is and I just don't see it. They were a good side though.

Outclassed. Thats difference one team spending 20 million to our zero. Odd starting without a striker and defence ripped apart. Scoreline harsh but thats the realities of this level. Tbf one game does not a season maketh!

A bit harsh overall….it certainly took us 35 minutes to get a grip in the game by which time we were two down….that said we could genuinely have been level at HT.
They were obviously a better side overall but key difference was having a pacy tricky winger who set up the first two and scored the third ….and their excellent finishing ….Both Keane and Lang had half chances to level it but never really looked likely to score.

The last two goals in the closing minutes made it look a bit worse than we deserved I thought, but we have to be realistic about our prospects this season….a chastening experience as they say but likely won’t be the only one we have to contend with.

Must get some pace in the team whether on loan or otherwise in the next few days before the window closes.

Passed off the pitch by a prem league team who had acres of space & time on the ball. First half we pumped it long with no real target man & Shinnie a passenger in midfield. 2 good goals with some slick pass and move tearing us apart. 2nd half Shinnie yet again a passenger which we cannot afford in this league and still we played it long. Once subs were made which I thought were a positive move ( possibly cud have been made 10 mins earlier) we seemed a better side but were still getting passed off the park.....imo I thot we shud have had the same outlook / set up we had for the Norwich game....contain, defend & frustrate the life out of them or if not that then at least start with same team that started at Birmingham. Bad day at the office n hopefully LR learns a lesson here....upwards and onwards to WBA.

Definitely going to be knee jerk comments here. Clearly different class in attacking areas at the moment. They scored all 5 out of 6 on target. Our finishing was terrible.

At 85 minutes we had 3 times as many shots as Burnley. Aside from the 3 goals they struggled to create anything. The first goal was clearly a foul and the 3rd was miles offside and then we are chasing a 2 goal deficit wrongly. Liam made a mistake going from 3 centre backs to 2 for the last 15 minutes as it left us wide open to the counter as we overcommitted men forward to desperately tried to get a goal back. 2 goals when we were exposed defensively numbers wise and their pace and our sloppy play allowed the scoreline to be something the game didn't reflect. Would imagine if it was level with 15 minuted to go, Liam doesn't make those subs and have more players back in defence.

Frustrating as people will just look at the scoreline and think we got battered for 90 minutes, which absolutely wasn't the case.

Last edited:
Not worth dwelling too much there. They were much better and exposed a lot of weak areas. We've got to be much more clinical. Their first 2 goals were exactly what you can expect strikers at this level to do. If Lang doesn't miss hit before half time or Keane hits the target at 2-1, we have them rattled. Lang's decision making is very poor though and at the moment he's not learning quick enough

If 2 minutes summed this whole debacle up it was at 1-2 the ball falls on the penalty spot to i think Power and he puts it 5 yards over then the ball drops on our penalty spot and he slides it into the corner.

Could have done with Lang playing today.

Obviously got hammered in the end but I’m not entirely sure it was true reflection of the game - although we were beaten by the better team.

First 30 minutes we were awful. Tactics all wrong. We never pressed them and it was too comfortable for them to pass the ball and find space. They may pass the ball well but aren’t t Man City and just no need to stand off then in that manner. The goals seemed inevitable and I’m not entirely sure what the game plan was in all honesty. After the second we started to come into it and Lang improved in fairness to him.

The games key moment was at the start of the second half. Keane should have hit the target with a glorious chance. For some reason he tried to curl it in the top corner when all it was required was being smashed toward goal - which is exactly what they did for their first two. The inevitable game winning moment came a minute later though he looked offside to me. However at 2 a piece the outcome may have been a different one.

Thought we lost shape late on with the changes and the last two were a bit of kick in the teeth as to be fair as we kept trying and we’re still in it at two down. Certainly lessons to be taken from today and becoming more clinical is a must. Unless we do it’ll be another season of struggle despite the other positive characteristics in the team. Four sitters missed between Magennis & Keane at the away end in last two home games, none of which hit the target. Shocking really at this level. It’s clear where we need to strengthen and with Talal in attendance perhaps we will. Hopefully we can get back on track Tuesday and move on quickly.

Just a few brief thoughts:
I must be the only only who classes both Keane and Lang as strikers. :rolleyes:
Though Darikwa was nutmegged for their 2nd goal, he certainly wasn't at fault for the 1st (or any other).
Power and Naylor were both poor today (though they've had good games previously), but I thought Shinnie had one of his best games.
We'd enough chances to win 2 games, but we just weren't clinical enough ... them men however scored 5 from 6 chances on target.
No way was that a 5-1 drubbing.
Mainly though, I'm still gobsmacked how we lost a game when we played the invincible formation of a back 3. How on earth did that happen? I thought it was a guaranteed winner.

Hey ho ... Baggies on tuesday.

Last edited:
Not a lot to say about this, we were second best all over the pitch, but those that are saying we were outclassed by a PL side should look at the team sheet as most of their players were not PL last season.

Those that are saying we were outclassed I think are simply reacting to the score and not the game, we were very much in the game until another refereeing cock up killed us off.

The third goal, which looked very much offside, killed the game for us. It took the impetus away from us in a period were we were looking the more likely to score.

Two poor refereeing decisions in two games, one cost us, the other didn't.

At least we have the chance to put things right on Tuesday against WBA. Put this one behind us and move on.

Can anyone explain wh we had 5 in midfield and 2 midfielders up top and kept persisting with a long ball to.... Magen is who wasn't on the bloody pitch.

Only positive today was Shinnie in midfield, our best player who was dragged off.

Keane and Darikwa did OK, but Land struggled today for some reason. Looked disinterested and tired after about 10 minutes.

Can anyone explain wh we had 5 in midfield and 2 midfielders up top and kept persisting with a long ball to.... Magen is who wasn't on the bloody pitch.

Only positive today was Shinnie in midfield, our best player who was dragged off.

Keane and Darikwa did OK, but Land struggled today for some reason. Looked disinterested and tired after about 10 minutes.

I agree about Shinnie, but disagree with the five in midfield and two up top. Both Keane and Lang are strikers, or have been. We played both Daikwa and McClean as wing backs, although I think McClean never got into the game. Lang has struggled this season and is finding it difficult in this division, I would have personally liked to have seen Broadhead or Humphrys partner Keane up front.

Definitely going to be knee jerk comments here. Clearly different class in attacking areas at the moment. They scored all 5 out of 6 on target. Our finishing was terrible.

At 85 minutes we had 3 times as many shots as Burnley. Aside from the 3 goals they struggled to create anything. The first goal was clearly a foul and the 3rd was miles offside and then we are chasing a 2 goal deficit wrongly. Liam made a mistake going from 3 centre backs to 2 for the last 15 minutes as it left us wide open to the counter as we overcommitted men forward to desperately tried to get a goal back. 2 goals when we were exposed defensively numbers wise and their pace and our sloppy play allowed the scoreline to be something the game didn't reflect. Would imagine if it was level with 15 minuted to go, Liam doesn't make those subs and have more players back in defence.

Frustrating as people will just look at the scoreline and think we got battered for 90 minutes, which absolutely wasn't the case.

Didn't get battered. But we certainly got outclassed.

Lang isn’t established at this level and he may or may not manage it but I think some are too quick to write him off,,should have done better with a couple of half chances maybe ….but he won the penalty with an excellent run and I think he’s showing up more if not yet ‘seeing it through’

I’ll look at the telly later and although I accept I’m in a minority…. but I thought their 3rd goal was onside ? :sorry:

That’s just the difference in class we will be up against this season compared to last, Naylor either does well or has a shocker but many if not all the players were outclassed. It’s a reality check for sure, and hopefully a reminder that staying loyal to squad does not mean success. We definitely need improvements in the first 11. I doubt we will play a better side this season though, but we need to see a reaction on tuesday!

A proper welcome to the Championship and a drubbing due to being outclassed for most of the match.
I thought Darikwa was nutmegged for the second goal. I do hope his injury isn't serious.
Naylor spent the match thinking about trying to craft the best looking pass of the match .... most appeared to be backwards. His gaff for the last goal summed up his awful performance.
We had a young lad in front of us explaining that Burnley were suspect defensively and gave the ball away at key moments. He noted that Blackpool exploited this weakness too....... shame the manager hadn't spotted this and thought hoofball was the answer.

The 3rd Burnley goal was offside and perhaps killed the possible comeback.

Lang isn’t established at this level and he may or may not manage it but I think some are too quick to write him off,,should have done better with a couple of half chances maybe ….but he won the penalty with an excellent run and I think he’s showing up more if not yet ‘seeing it through’

I’ll look at the telly later and although I accept I’m in a minority…. but I thought their 3rd goal was onside ? :sorry:

I think Lang is struggling at present and the biggest problem he has is that he is not releasing the ball quick enough.

He is greedy on the ball, as most strikers are, but I am not going to criticise him for that, my criticism is that he needs to see the other players around him.

Twice today he had the opportunity to play in a player in a better position and failed to do so. If he can add that vision to his game he will be a very good player at this level and given his age and the work he does with James Beattie I can see it happening.