Desperate Times for Bury | Page 8 | Vital Football

Desperate Times for Bury

On a happier note, I've only just seen the story of Bolton's match against Coventry on Saturday (Sorry if you've seen it).
An XI With an average age of 19, a captain of 20 years old, a 17 year old keeper and the eldest player being only 24 managed an honourable 0-0 draw with Coventry. What an amazing performance, quite literally men vs boys.

Rotherham game now off. How much longer can they let this go on, on both sides of the argument.
The FA and EFL need to show some balls here - this is ridiculous. Obviously Bury are completely fcuked. They must act - the apparent deadline is 23 August but surely nothing can change by then. It gives me no pleasure to say it and I have nothing against them but Bury have to go sadly.

Until 23rd August, which is the deadline the EFL has given them to show they can fulfil their financial obligations under the CVA and for the season.
You are correct about the 23/8 cut off date, but the EFL also have to make a decision before 23/8 about Bury's next opponents Tranmere with that game scheduled for 24/8. Clearly it is beyond hopeless.

You are correct about the 23/8 cut off date, but the EFL also have to make a decision before 23/8 about Bury's next opponents Tranmere with that game scheduled for 24/8. Clearly it is beyond hopeless.

Totally agree about beyond hopeless, unfortunately. But my response was to the question of how much longer can they let this go on. I think we all agree that on 23rd, or very shortly after, Bury's membership of the EFL will be removed. But they have got until 23rd, so it goes on until then.

Feels very weird having a Saturday where I'm thinking mostly about a team we have been stopped from playing because they are on the point of destruction.
Our own chairman bought our beloved club for a pound in similar fashion to how the Bury 'owner' bought their club. Our chairmain set about tackling the debts and rebuilding the club. Mr Dale has, it now appears, just tried to make a quick buck and is fine with the club being liquidated if he doesn't get it.
Still hope for some last minute good news for Bury but not truly expecting it.

Just had a look at the official Bury FC website and there is an article saying their ticket office is closed today and tomorrow. I am left to wonder what tickets they will actually be selling when it reopens on Wednesday :confused:

Feels very weird having a Saturday where I'm thinking mostly about a team we have been stopped from playing because they are on the point of destruction.
Our own chairman bought our beloved club for a pound in similar fashion to how the Bury 'owner' bought their club. Our chairmain set about tackling the debts and rebuilding the club. Mr Dale has, it now appears, just tried to make a quick buck and is fine with the club being liquidated if he doesn't get it.
Still hope for some last minute good news for Bury but not truly expecting it.
While there are statutory rules and regulations concerning the conduct and performance of companies and directors, it can be difficult therefore for the EFL to intervene other than to specify rules for a company to operate in the League. The fit for purpose rules are at best scant but to some extent the EFL's hands are tied. If a person buys a club and has a history of [say] asset stripping - all legal and above board in terms of statutory regulations - what can the EFL do? The idea that people buy a company for £1 is something of a myth; it is the consideration for the contract of purchase because the buyer often takes on liabilities and has to give [say] personal guarantees or put up his her house as collateral. Maybe the new owner should be required to put in an appropriate amount of working capital - not a legal requirement but could be a condition of joining the EFL.

PS did indeed set about tackling GFC's debts but don't forget those debts increased substantially under his stewardship.

The EFL need to change the way they operate. As others have said the fit and proper persons act is a complete waste if time. What they should do is get every club owner to give a legal commitment that their club have the finances to complete the season before the season starts. If the club is sold during season the new owners must undertake that commitment as part of the deal. Failure to complete the season or fixtures within the season would leave the owner/chairman open to legal action from the EFL.

Whilst the league don't have any jurisdiction over the running of individual clubs, if the EFL made the criteria for membership more accountable they wouldn't find themselves in the current situation.

As for Bolton latest issue, they should forfeit the game and face sanctions for failing to complete fixtures. None of Bolton or Bury issues is EFL related, and as harsh as it is, they need to take a hard stance to stop it happening again. Not often I agree with SE but all it does is harm the integrity of the League.

The EFL need to change the way they operate. As others have said the fit and proper persons act is a complete waste if time. What they should do is get every club owner to give a legal commitment that their club have the finances to complete the season before the season starts. If the club is sold during season the new owners must undertake that commitment as part of the deal. Failure to complete the season or fixtures within the season would leave the owner/chairman open to legal action from the EFL.
That would make sense as long as it's applied without exception. Moreover, such a rule would have to be a condition of EFL membership as I doubt it can be applied under Companies/Insolvency Acts.

Perhaps there should be a better system of checks and balances in place. Many clubs, including GFC - Scally is the sole shareholder/director of GFC Holdings that owns 70%+ of GFC Ltd - are effectively sole traders. Perhaps EFL membership should include fans represented on the Board and not just puppets of the chairman. Again, care has to be taken not to override the Companies Act etc. Scally would love that - conspiracy theories and all that.

Expelled from the EFL Cup and their match at Tranmere on Saturday is off - no great shock. Surely no way back for them now.

Perhaps the answer is just to demote them
now. Give them the rest of the season to sort themselves out then start afresh in League 2 next season.