Desperate Times for Bury | Page 9 | Vital Football

Desperate Times for Bury

Creditors have agreed Dale's CVA; so, the only sticking point now is the EFL's insistence [and rightly so] that Bury FC can demonstrate it has the wherewithal to see out the season.

According to the BBC Bury may get another 48 hour reprieve as mystically 4 buyers have appeared wanting to take over the club - wonder why they have left it so late to surface. If they survive fine, but this seems like Mr Dale playing for more time.

According to the BBC Bury may get another 48 hour reprieve as mystically 4 buyers have appeared wanting to take over the club - wonder why they have left it so late to surface. If they survive fine, but this seems like Mr Dale playing for more time.
Same reason as Scally did it expect.

On the face of it bury my struggle to fulfil a fixture even if they are saved. They only have 8 players listed on their website, of course they could stick some youth in there but not sure how many of those they have.

Given their financial difficulties, do they even still have staff in ticket offices, or kits or a maintained ground?

I think any buyer faces a fair few challenges to get through the season.

On the face of it bury my struggle to fulfil a fixture even if they are saved. They only have 8 players listed on their website, of course they could stick some youth in there but not sure how many of those they have.

Given their financial difficulties, do they even still have staff in ticket offices, or kits or a maintained ground?

I think any buyer faces a fair few challenges to get through the season.
Agree, hope they survive but surely the EFL can not allow any more postponed games even if they do as this has gone past the point of ridiculous now. Play the kids and get beat - a harsh learning curve or have no club at all.

So Bury look pretty likely to be expelled at midnight, by my reckoning. Parkinson leaving Bolton has opened my eyes a bit more to Bolton’s situation. First of all I don’t want either to be expelled/go bust although part of me thinks this is the only way the authorities will wake up to the problem of debt in football.

Here’s an third option for next season should the worst case scenario unfold: they get their FL spots in League 2 replaced by the Old Firm.

On R4 News this morning, the EFL rep claimed that a proper fit-for-purpose test was carried out on the Club's owner, Mr Dale. When challenged by one of the programme's presenters as to whether the EFL had any suspicions concerning Bury FC's takeover, she said that the fit-for-purpose test was carried out in accordance with the 'rules'. Therein lies the problem; the footballing authorities' tests are clearly not fit-for-purpose.

Hope it all works out for Bury FC, would be a great shame to see the Shakers vanish into footballing obscurity.

Contrast the Bury situation to Sunderland, where, granted, money has been comparatively tight for the Black Cats in recent seasons. Seems that Sunderland is about to be taken over by a very wealthy consortium who clearly have ambition to get the club, and (more importantly, no doubt) themselves back onto the Premier League gravy train. Hope we can get our games against them done before they send in the cavalry...

See Gary Neville is spouting off now about how Bury's demise is disgraceful. If he feels so strongly he could always dip his hand in his long pockets and shoot them a few quid - sure he could just about afford it.

See Gary Neville is spouting off now about how Bury's demise is disgraceful. If he feels so strongly he could always dip his hand in his long pockets and shoot them a few quid - sure he could just about afford it.
He may have done last time when his father bailed them out. Plus, you can't give money just like that because I dare say the courts will dictate who gets first dibs.

I might pledge some hard to get money myself but will it be paid back it deal falls through, even though I’m not sure it’s the correct thing to do , maybe it’s like paying blackmailers to get hostages back but I know how I would feel if it were GFC

Saw the Bury owner on the box - clearly he doesn't know what due diligence is nor do the EFL for allowing him to buy the club

Last edited:
On R4 News this morning, the EFL rep claimed that a proper fit-for-purpose test was carried out on the Club's owner, Mr Dale. When challenged by one of the programme's presenters as to whether the EFL had any suspicions concerning Bury FC's takeover, she said that the fit-for-purpose test was carried out in accordance with the 'rules'. Therein lies the problem; the footballing authorities' tests are clearly not fit-for-purpose.
Exactly, as I posted earlier in the thread, as long as you don't have a criminal record or past misdealings with a club, you're in.
Even owners who were under investigation for criminal matters have been able to move in just because they hadn't been found guilty yet. It's a joke ?

Exactly, as I posted earlier in the thread, as long as you don't have a criminal record or past misdealings with a club, you're in.
Even owners who were under investigation for criminal matters have been able to move in just because they hadn't been found guilty yet. It's a joke ?
There is a matter of presumed innocence. There is a bit of a dilemma here as I wrote previously. What is permitted under the Companies/Insolvency Acts - such as asset stripping within the rules - may not sit well with a football club. Therefore, the EFL needs terms and conditions that need to be satisfied in order that a compliant company [the football club] can participate in the League. It's a tough one to get right but proper due diligence is a start.