Desperate Times for Bury | Page 7 | Vital Football

Desperate Times for Bury

I was wondering who would benefit most by this match being called off Gillingham or Blackpool for the forthcoming match on Tuesday night.
The rest could be in Gillingham's favour or would the prospect of a likely win at Bury even with the long distance involved give the much needed boost to kick start the league programme.
Only time will tell, looking forward to next Tuesday.

I was wondering who would benefit most by this match being called off Gillingham or Blackpool for the forthcoming match on Tuesday night.
The rest could be in Gillingham's favour or would the prospect of a likely win at Bury even with the long distance involved give the much needed boost to kick start the league programme.

Doesn't matter, we'd lose either way lol
I do hope the Bury survive though. They could be most clubs in the lower division :-(

I must admit, after reading about most of their players leaving, I do feel ashamed to say that my thoughts were of a probable three points. Does that make me a bad person???? ☹

On the Bury website, it mentions that an offer has been made for the Club, also mentioned on BBC web, that the staff are urging the owner to accept. Of course, the buyer will have to demonstrate that he/she/it can keep the club going for the rest of the season. Anyone else know anything?

Hmmm. I can honestly see Bury folding but am not wishing it. How are they going to slot in 4 fixtures, possibly 5 if their game on 20/8 against Rotherham is pulled? Matches come thick and fast in September and October - league games and EFL Cup and the JPT (or whatever it is now). The EFL must get this sorted pronto.

I think the fixture buid up is not an insurmountable problem. The key is probably,as wayne says, for a new buyer to step in and meet the required guarantees. Will the other gut (Bassini?) step aside, or is he hoping for a Knighton style pay off.

Dale, the current owner took over at Christmas. He claims there was £13m of hidden debt left from the previous ownership that he knew nothing about until he had taken over.
That's either good hiding skills by the previous owner or poor diligence by Dale. Either way, it seems he's bought a pup and is trying to give assurances that he can solve the problem. I'm assuming the offer they have had includes discharging of that debt but I'm guessing there would be very little left over once the deal is done.
Shame as Dale sounds like an honest bloke who just wants to save the club, maybe he's letting his heart rule his head?

I find it hard to believe that Manchester City are or have been one of the companies chasing Bury for money. After evicting them from the Manchester City owned (Carrington)training ground.
To be fair, City must be feeling the pinch, they've just been fined £315k after being found guilty of illegal transfers of under 18s (the same offence Chelsea were found guilty of and banned for).
Think we all know what the result of Chelsea's appeal will be now.......or am I being cynical?

That's either good hiding skills by the previous owner or poor diligence by Dale.
Poor due diligence.
I'm assuming the offer they have had includes discharging of that debt but I'm guessing there would be very little left over once the deal is done.
Not necessarily - for example debts were not discharged in full when PS took over at GFC
Shame as Dale sounds like an honest bloke who just wants to save the club, maybe he's letting his heart rule his head?
That seems about right.

Nicked from the Shrewsbury Fans Forum back in April:

From the Bury Fans Forum a few minutes ago:-

"Steve Dale's business is asset stripping failed businesses, the latest in a long line of failed businesses being Bury FC.

He's transferred ownership of the ground into a Limited Company and has now walked. There will be no more money put in from his pocket, if indeed there ever was, hence the players knowing they most likely won't be paid again".

Bury fans have finally woken up to something I was on to quite some time ago.

Dale has been involved in at least 19 former Companies which have been dissolved.

For the record, that list of liquidated businesses forms less than half. There are plenty more in the names of Christian & Cassandra Dale, his kids.

Read more: http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/99031/bury-again?page=2#ixzz5wVmsG1nh

I would rather see Bury given a lifeline and have to fit in 4 or 5 games than just see them kicked out. It may be an automatic relegation spot taken but once one team is suspended it makes it less painful for the EFL to do it to a second or third club.
Hope the prospective new owner/s are a right fit to take Bury on.

I would rather see Bury given a lifeline and have to fit in 4 or 5 games than just see them kicked out. It may be an automatic relegation spot taken but once one team is suspended it makes it less painful for the EFL to do it to a second or third club.
Hope the prospective new owner/s are a right fit to take Bury on.
I agree but I think the EFL is trying to ensure no more creditors/employees go short if the team is allowed to play out the season. Of course, the EFL has jumped in far too late. The Companies Act is a contract, a trade off - limited liability in exchange for the protection of creditors. Alarm bells should ring as soon as creditors and staff are being paid late or not at all.

I do not see any way back for Bury unless there is a miraculous buyer who can turn things around in a very short timescale. Not convinced Mr Dale is any angel either. I also can not see how the EFL can let this situation continue. Sadly I think they have had it and will have to go to grass roots non-league as AFC Bury and start all over again. Very sad situation for their loyal fans.

Nicked from the Shrewsbury Fans Forum back in April:

Read more: http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/99031/bury-again?page=2#ixzz5wVmsG1nh

I think that the most pertinent comment in that whole thread is the one that questions the FL's approval of Dale as an owner with regard to the 'fit and proper person' criteria.

I heard Dale on 5Live yesterday evening and even under not particularly hard questioning from Tony Livesey he seemed to me to be, at best, evasive. There have been no reports of exactly what he is doing in order to put the finances of Bury FC in order, and under those circumstances I'm now very seriously concerned that he's just going to let the 23rd August deadline pass and let Bury FC die.

What should be of great concern, if it's true, is the report in the Shrewsbury thread that ownership of the ground has been transferred to a separate company. The potential financial benefits to Dale of that are complicated (reports of mortgages on the ground before he took over, and whether those are included in the CVA), but the potential consequences to any sale of Bury FC could be catastrophically fatal.

The whole financial situation would appear to be in a complete mess, and it would be a very brave, or very foolish, person, or consortium, that took on ownership of the club before 23rd August, especially without the ground.

As Dale would appear to have no interest in the future of Bury FC as a football league club, and with virtually no time for a properly researched and negotiated sale to go through I really can't see Bury surviving. An extension to the 23rd August FL deadline is unlikely as that would only further compress the fixture list, and with the transfer deadline looming they could well not be in a position to sign any new players.

It's a horrible, horrible mess, and I feel so sorry for Bury supporters who it would appear have been most let down by the EFL with regard to the 'fit and proper person' approval.

I do not see any way back for Bury unless there is a miraculous buyer who can turn things around in a very short timescale. Not convinced Mr Dale is any angel either. I also can not see how the EFL can let this situation continue. Sadly I think they have had it and will have to go to grass roots non-league as AFC Bury and start all over again. Very sad situation for their loyal fans.
According to the article Trev posted, Dale is certainly no angel.

The fit and proper person test is an absolute joke; in this instance, I understand that Dale has a history of asset stripping companies in trouble, which generally means the good bits are taken and the company goes under. But such history is not taken into account in the fit-for-purpose test, which is why it's a joke with so many clubs surviving on the brink.

I've often wondered how strict this test is and once heard an EFL executive interviewed who stated it is not strong enough. I looked it up and although I don't have time to read the whole document, it seems that unless you have been found guilty of criminal charges or some serious financial irregularity within football, just about any one can buy football club.
We can slag off these owners (or prospective owners) as much as we like but I think the EFL seriously need to tighten up their act to stop them getting in and killing clubs........

https://www.lawinsport.com/content/...owners-and-directors-test-in-english-football